Would Elhokar have become Radiant if Kaladin never arrived?

Marabout

Ever wonder if Elhokar would have bonded his Spren if Kaladin hadn’t shown up in the palace?

Elhokar says he was seeing shadows but Kaladin scared them away.

I assume he was seeing symbol heads like Shallan was early on.

Then Kaladin shows up and they hide from Syl.

So Kaladin May have inadvertently prevented Elhokar from bonding his cryptic.  

19 hours ago, Marabout said:

Ever wonder if Elhokar would have bonded his Spren if Kaladin hadn’t shown up in the palace?

I don't really think that Kaladin prevented Elhokar from becoming a Knight Radiant.

I've always thought that the cryptic seeking to bond Elhokar, was repelled by Kaladin because Kaladin is against most all lightweaver ideas. His moral philosophies are just so incompatible with those of a cryptic. I always thought the cryptic didn't like Kaladin, not that Kaladin was actively preventing Elhokar's bond.

Also Kaladin was the person who sent Elhokar on his journey to become a radiant. We can see how Kaladin shows Elhokar what true leadership is like. Elhokar certainly would not have started to question his rule, and began attracting a spren without Kaladin's influence.

We even see Elhokar being on the cusp of bond, with Kaladin in the same storming room. He was about to become radiant and Kaladin certainly wasn't stopping him in any way. Without Moash stabbing him, Elhokar certainly would have completed the oath.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

I don't really think that Kaladin prevented Elhokar from becoming a Knight Radiant.

I've always thought that the cryptic seeking to bond Elhokar, was repelled by Kaladin because Kaladin is against most all lightweaver ideas. His moral philosophies are just so incompatible with those of a cryptic. I always thought the cryptic didn't like Kaladin, not that Kaladin was actively preventing Elhokar's bond.

Also Kaladin was the person who sent Elhokar on his journey to become a radiant. We can see how Kaladin shows Elhokar what true leadership is like. Elhokar certainly would not have started to question his rule, and began attracting a spren without Kaladin's influence.

We even see Elhokar being on the cusp of bond, with Kaladin in the same storming room. He was about to become radiant and Kaladin certainly wasn't stopping him in any way. Without Moash stabbing him, Elhokar certainly would have completed the oath.

I don’t think it’s repelled by kaladin himself (never seen pattern repeled by kaladin) maybe design was breaking a rule because we see that other cryptics are looking for radiants in groups. 
i would like to say that I feel kaladin helped elohkar progress to say his oaths. 
Only after meeting kaladin does he start to change. To the point of asking kaladin if he thought him a bad king and begging him for advice. Only after kaladin refuses him does he drink himself to a drunken stupor. And all of oathbringer is him realizing that he’s a bad king and that the world needs better then him. So I think we really agree on this point 

20 hours ago, Marabout said:

There may be some element of the Cryptics watching Elhokar were hiding from Syl when Kaladin was around. But if the King was still eventually chosen by Design, then she obviously didn't drive the Cryptics away entirely. Also, Elhokar had not yet said the First ideal (much less said it and meant it) so he couldn't have been too close to forming the bond. 

Edited by Treamayne

On 11/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, Marabout said:

I don't think that's quite how it works. Radiants can usually swear oaths independent of what their spren is doing. When Kaladin swore his third ideal while protecting Elokhar from Moash in the war camps, Syl was nowhere close to him. She was being held back by the Stormfather and only once he had sworn the oath could she fully return to him. 

When Shallon has sworn her oaths, Pattern is pretty much always there but that doesn't mean it is a rule. He just happens to be the one who can draw those truths out for her. 

Either way, I don't think the cryptic moving a few feet/yards/rooms away would have made any significant difference in Elokhar's ability to swear his ideal. The only way in which Kal is responsible for the King not swearing his ideal is in failing to protect him from Moash.