Character Radiant Wish List

The Rooster

What Stormlight characters would you like to see become Radiant who haven't yet? What Order and why? I'll go first.

I was thinking about Truthwatchers today and what kind of characters would make good (non corrupted) Truthwatchers. I came to the realization that The Mink would make a terrifying Truthwatcher or Lightweaver. He'd be absolutely impossible to contain, track down, or defeat. His brilliance paired with Illumination make him so deadly in my mind. 

A while back I had a tinfoil that the Mink would be the third Bondsmith strictly because a Nightwatcher/Mink pairing would be hilarious. I'm on kind of the boring side that I think it's important for there to be really strong characters that aren't Radiant. But if I had to pick one, it would be Lirian becoming a Edgedancer. Treating anyone, no matter what side they're on falls in line with the spirit of the Edgedancer oaths. And Lirian joining one of the healing orders would be amazing. When I see it in my head I see a scene where Hesina or someone close to him is dying and he can't save them through conventional means, he breaks down but then he swears the oath and saves them. 

But my dream wish that is 99.9% unlikely to happen is Leshwi bonding the her Honorspren friend that she helps revive from deadeye either with Adolins method or because of whatever happens with Ba-Ado. Would just be such an awesome scene. A huge arc of this series is Brandon emphasizing that this isn't a black and white conflict anymore. It's not just good guys versus bad guys. The listeners, Leshwi and her people, Sja-anat, Kaladin befriending those singers, etc. It's showing that peace between the peoples would be the best solution. With all the baggage on both sides, I think a Fused bonding a literal Honorspren would be a perfect way to show that reconciliation is possible. 

Dabbid, obviously. Maybe he could bond Notum.

Also I'd be okay with Adolin bonding Maya and becoming an Edgedancer, though I figure he's kind of far enough along that he doesn't really qualify for this list.

On 10/17/2022 at 0:57 AM, SovietAmerica said:

I heard this thrown around somewhere, likely on a post about Vyre’s miniature model, but I think it might be cool if we see Vyre/Moash go on a redemption arc and join dust bringers. I doubt it will happen, as I’m like 90% sure that Vyre/Moash will be Odium’s champion, but it’s a cool thought imo 

I'd be on board for this too.

Against the grain, but I do want to see Adolin become a Radiant. I don't think there needs to be a normal guy, this is the people becoming Knights Radiant series, becoming a Radiant is tied to tons of catharsis in characters' journeys and growth, and that's what I want to see.

Other than the Kholins, though, I like the idea of more middle-aged people being chosen by spren. I would enjoy Kaladin's mom being chosen.

I see names but not orders so here are some suggestions…

Moash:  Dustbringer although Elsecaller would be interesting “becoming better with each oath, seeking to explore their true potential and reach it”.

Yalb:  Willshaper “The Willshapers believe strongly that all people should be free to make their own choices. Their oaths are themed toward freedom and letting people be free to express themselves and make their own way in life.”

Hesina:  Truthwatcher makes some sense but I also like her as a Stoneward

Balat:  Dustbringer “However, their oaths are themed toward control—that they need to be able to control, contain, and channel the terrible power inside them”

Dabbid:  Stoneward “Stoneward oaths focus on team dynamics, on learning to work with others, and on being there for those who need them.”

On 10/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, Marabout said:

Moash:  Dustbringer although Elsecaller would be interesting “becoming better with each oath, seeking to explore their true potential and reach it”.

Yalb:  Willshaper “The Willshapers believe strongly that all people should be free to make their own choices. Their oaths are themed toward freedom and letting people be free to express themselves and make their own way in life.”

Balat:  Dustbringer “However, their oaths are themed toward control—that they need to be able to control, contain, and channel the terrible power inside them”

Dabbid:  Stoneward “Stoneward oaths focus on team dynamics, on learning to work with others, and on being there for those who need them.”

These are great. I always picture Stonewards as big muscly soldier types thanks to Taln, Herald of War, but that description does sound just like Hesina.

On 10/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, Marabout said:

I like most of these, except Moash and Dabbid. Considering the choices Moash has made, I can't see him ever swearing the oaths. But I had an idea about Dabbid. 

Dabbid seems much more of an ElseCaller than anything else. He wants to become a Radiant to heal his mind, and thinks of the idea in an almost reverent way. That strikes me as the mindset of an ElseCaller, the order that focuses on reaching their full potential, which is what Dabbid seems to want.  It's why he couldn't be a WindRunner squire, I think.  He is almost certainly worthy to be a Radiant, but he lacks the connection to the right order. Rlain might have had a similar problem, although that's kind of iffy when you take Renarin into account.

But Yalb as a WillShaper, Hesina as a TruthWatcher, and Balat as a DustBringer all seem like perfect matches.

For me Lirin, if he becomes Radiant, should be Stoneward. It matches well with his stubbornes and also with his constant need to help people. And also creates interesting dynamic with his pacifism, because Stonewards were always very militaristic Order.

Also, because Radiancy sometimes is family bussines, I think Shalans Brothers should Bond Spren. Obviusly, Balat should be Dustbringer, because this Order is all about controling himself, and Power. This Order would be good for Jushu also. For Wikim, I think he should be Truthwatcher - definitly will be good friend with Renarin.

My biggest radiant wish is this from r/stormlightarchives, originally posted by u/prayingforsuperpower:

I don’t know if this is a common theory, but I just formed it for myself and wanted to share it.

Dalinar is the Bondsmith for the Stormfather, Navani is bound to the Sibling, and the third Bondspren is the Nightwatcher, and in my estimation, the only character that makes sense for her bondsmith is Lirin Stormblessed.

In chapter 43 of Rhythm of War, Lirin states his Oath as a surgeon and it shares a line with Dalinar’s Oath at the end of Oathbringer. “I will take Responsibility for what I have done! I will work within whatever confines I must in order to protect people.”

But more than that, Lirin is a surgeon, someone who knows when and how to cultivate health in a person. He knows what to cut off in order to get other pieces to thrive. And he is in the correct position to connect with the Nightwatcher.

thoughts?