Was Syl Sent By Cultivation

Windrunner2319

I am currently rereading oathbringer. At the end of the sixth chapter Kaladin and Syl are having a discussion about how Syl can remember his family even if she had never met them, and how he knew her from before. In part of her reply she tells him that "there was... another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding." Based on what we learned in Rhythm of War and the pure tones of Roshar, this could suggest that Cultivation had a subtle hand in pushing spren towards the first knights radiant. Does anyone else have an idea what this could mean?

16 minutes ago, Rg2045 said:

Hmmm that definitely interesting. Do we have any discription of cultivations voice?

Edit: what I mean is could it be honors voice? I mean honor not tanavast.

Honor dosen‘t have a voice, I don‘t believe. Just the vessel. To be honest, it was probably Cultivation. That‘s what I always assumed.

21 minutes ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

Honor dosen‘t have a voice, I don‘t believe. Just the vessel. To be honest, it was probably Cultivation. That‘s what I always assumed.

My thoughts are more inlined of kaladin possibly being the next vessel of honor. So it like calling to him sort of thing 

2 minutes ago, Rg2045 said:

My thoughts are more inlined of kaladin possibly being the next vessel of honor. So it like calling to him sort of thing 

That dosen‘t exactly make sense as Kaladin wasn’t the Vessel of honor when Syl came and I don‘t imagine his voice ‘pure‘ like I imagine Cultivation‘s.

2 hours ago, Rg2045 said:

Hmmm that definitely interesting. Do we have any discription of cultivations voice?

Edit: what I mean is could it be honors voice? I mean honor not tanavast.

Could it be Tanavast? The WOB about him I read said he was dead-dead as of the beginning of WOK. Maybe a bit of him was still sticking around in Kaladin’s flashback time, and guiding Syl to her future knight. 

30 minutes ago, Zea mays said:

Could it be Tanavast? The WOB about him I read said he was dead-dead as of the beginning of WOK. Maybe a bit of him was still sticking around in Kaladin’s flashback time, and guiding Syl to her future knight. 

No Tanavast has been very dead a long time before the events of Kaladin ever took place. Honor is also very dead and splintered so he probably doesn't have enough presence of mind to talk to Sly. 

To me it makes a lot of sense for Cultivation to be talking to Sly, I wouldn't be surprised if her plans went back this far.

On 24/9/2022 at 5:15 AM, Windrunner2319 said:

I am currently rereading oathbringer. At the end of the sixth chapter Kaladin and Syl are having a discussion about how Syl can remember his family even if she had never met them, and how he knew her from before. In part of her reply she tells him that "there was... another voice. Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding." Based on what we learned in Rhythm of War and the pure tones of Roshar, this could suggest that Cultivation had a subtle hand in pushing spren towards the first knights radiant. Does anyone else have an idea what this could mean?

This very well might be, though I feel that anything is little more than a guess if that's the only hint we have.

So to play devil's advocate:
Cultivation's voice has been described as sounding as "tumbling stones", which wouldn't line up, besides we can expect a Shard's "voice" to be more than "something distant", unless we state that Syl simply isn't attuned to it, which then would make it inaudible I think.
While I think Honor\Tanavast's voice, Syl would know and recognise immediatly, even if we accept that there was somehow some remainder of that in Kaladin.

A theory going around was that that "voice" was Tien's "call" towards a spren, it is WoB confirmed that Tien was in the process of becoming a Lightweaver.
It seems more likely to me that Syl could "hear" a bond in the making, I guess if anyone an Honorspren would.
Another option, if you don't accept that Syl would hear a Cryptic around as a 'Pure' song, is that there is some other special Connection in Kaladin's family, which would explain why both brothers were going to be Surgebinders, and could easily tie into future development for Horoden (possibly with ties to the "Champion Baby" theory).
That kind of sound makes me think of Lightspren as they do have this sort of communication with rythms apparently, but I'm not sure how it'd fit, either you could guess she showed up very very early to bond Horoden, or that Lirin himself was rejecting some kind of possible bond, but this is pure speculation.

What do you think?

This does not invalidate your point that Cultivation has had her plan going on for a long time and had a hand in all of this, I'm inclined to believe that actually.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 6:08 AM, SpinningSky said:

This very well might be, though I feel that anything is little more than a guess if that's the only hint we have.

So to play devil's advocate:
Cultivation's voice has been described as sounding as "tumbling stones", which wouldn't line up, besides we can expect a Shard's "voice" to be more than "something distant", unless we state that Syl simply isn't attuned to it, which then would make it inaudible I think.
While I think Honor\Tanavast's voice, Syl would know and recognise immediatly, even if we accept that there was somehow some remainder of that in Kaladin.

A theory going around was that that "voice" was Tien's "call" towards a spren, it is WoB confirmed that Tien was in the process of becoming a Lightweaver.
It seems more likely to me that Syl could "hear" a bond in the making, I guess if anyone an Honorspren would.
Another option, if you don't accept that Syl would hear a Cryptic around as a 'Pure' song, is that there is some other special Connection in Kaladin's family, which would explain why both brothers were going to be Surgebinders, and could easily tie into future development for Horoden (possibly with ties to the "Champion Baby" theory).
That kind of sound makes me think of Lightspren as they do have this sort of communication with rythms apparently, but I'm not sure how it'd fit, either you could guess she showed up very very early to bond Horoden, or that Lirin himself was rejecting some kind of possible bond, but this is pure speculation.

What do you think?

This does not invalidate your point that Cultivation has had her plan going on for a long time and had a hand in all of this, I'm inclined to believe that actually.

I like the idea of Kaladins family having a special connection somehow. It seems to be a theme among surgebinders.

Thank you for the description of Cultivations voice, I couldn’t remember what it was described as. One possible explanation for the discrepancy could be that when humans hear Cultivation speak, they are hearing a physical sound/voice which could be altered through their Connection to Cultivation. We have seen examples of other Shards sounding different to different individuals. It would stand to reason that a Spren, hearing a shard through connections in the spiritual realm would sound different than the more physical voice a human would hear.

Hopefully at some point we will get some clarification on everything Cultivation has been up to.

I always read that line as pertaining to Tien in some way.

The more I considered it I started wondering if Tien held a Dawnshard…

“Pure, with a song like tapped crystal, distant yet demanding”.  The demanding part is what stands out to me.  I’d have to read through the Dawnshard novella again, but the line above makes me think more of a primal force than any type of Spren bond.

Now tinfoil time…. (Just for fun, I think the above is much more likely than the below!)

What if Tien held a Dawnshard And a nahel bond.  He survives his “death” only to resurface years later in black armor with red cracks as Odium’s champion.