If you give a Reshi thief a soulcaster...

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

Not easily, but with skill Yes.  If Jasnah could target just Shallan's blood then being internal wont innately block it (like with some lower power magics).  It would likely prove an inefficient path to the conversion, but it should work. 

It would cause a really uncomfortable reverse-Burp as the the air shrank to a solid/liquid.  Probably a lot easier to just convert something inanimate nearby (like dirt or wood or stone or water) into food, where at least the volume is equivalent.  

26 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Not easily, but with skill Yes.  If Jasnah could target just Shallan's blood then being internal wont innately block it (like with some lower power magics).  It would likely prove an inefficient path to the conversion, but it should work. 

It would cause a really uncomfortable reverse-Burp as the the air shrank to a solid/liquid.  Probably a lot easier to just convert something inanimate nearby (like dirt or wood or stone or water) into food, where at least the volume is equivalent.  

Definately agree it would be easier.  Thinking more as a way out of that position she was in vs Nale.   No food nearby.  Just trapped and empty.  Soulcast directly into the stomach and then slip the bindings and move on.  

Just now, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Definately agree it would be easier.  Thinking more as a way out of that position she was in vs Nale.   No food nearby.  Just trapped and empty.  Soulcast directly into the stomach and then slip the bindings and move on.  

Fair enough.  The only two issues there is that she'd need the right Essence on her soulcaster so there'd be that issue too, and also Nale had already used a Larkin on her which would have drained any Soulcaster or sphere she might have along with her Awesome.

Alternatively just go full Zombie Mike Tyson on the nearest squire; it's wildly distasteful but it's digestible Meat...

35 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Fair enough.  The only two issues there is that she'd need the right Essence on her soulcaster so there'd be that issue too, and also Nale had already used a Larkin on her which would have drained any Soulcaster or sphere she might have along with her Awesome.

Alternatively just go full Zombie Mike Tyson on the nearest squire; it's wildly distasteful but it's digestible Meat...

So how exactly do the Larkin work?   Is it instantaneous.  Is it an AoE?   If she had been full of food pre digestion into life light would the larkin have been useless?   

Larkin vs chromium allomancy?   Can a larkin drain breath from awakened objects.  

Side note... that is exactly the kind of twisted logic used in a mistborn topic a while ago about a gold compounder just feeding armies and armies off of his own flesh or something...  probably not the most cost efficient method or living but if food ever became more valuable than gold... 

Would Lift eating herself be net neutral or negative?  

Also is soul cast grain or meat more efficient in terms of stormlight?   Lift gets more out of sugars right?   Would soul cast grain give her more lifelight than the same stormlight equivalent amount of soulcast meat?  

Edited by Tamriel Wolfsbaine

21 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

So how exactly do the Larkin work?   Is it instantaneous.  Is it an AoE?   If she had been full of food pre digestion into life light would the larkin have been useless?   

Larkin vs chromium allomancy?   Can a larkin drain breath from awakened objects.  

Larkin are one of the relatively few things that can suck in any Investiture regardless of the "flavor", like Nightblood.  I was going to go into details myself but the Coppermind is pretty concise:

Feeding on Investiture[edit]

The most outstanding feature of larkin is their ability to feed on Investiture (commonly Stormlight, as they originate from Roshar). This ability is related to both Leechers and Nightblood, although they can't hold as much Investiture as the latter.[10][11] They can suck Stormlight out of Surgebinders and Shardplate at will, causing the Light to stream visibly through the air and into the larkin's mouth.[4][12] Larkin can also eat Stormlight that has been stored in gems and drain the Voidlight from a Fused. After absorbing a large amount of Stormlight from the King's Drop, Chiri-Chiri becomes noticeably bigger.[13] Since larkin feed on Investiture, they are incapable of pushing it into people.[14] Larkin cannot feed on the Investiture of a person clad in aluminum or Shardplate, though they can feed on the Shardplate itself.[12]

A larkin would be able to prevent someone from becoming Returned by ingesting the Divine Breath as it attempted to enter the person.[15] Larkin could also kill a Returned by feeding on all of their Investiture.[16]

Side note... that is exactly the kind of twisted logic used in a mistborn topic a while ago about a gold compounder just feeding armies and armies off of his own flesh or something...  probably not the most cost efficient method or living but if food ever became more valuable than gold... 

Would Lift eating herself be net neutral or negative?  

Im going to say Negative since most things still have a little cost of transfer inefficiency (which I expect to be critical to preventing world-breaking perpetual motion type issues come the sci-fi era).  Also seems like a Ruinous way to go, so it feels thematically right.  

Also is soul cast grain or meat more efficient in terms of stormlight?   Lift gets more out of sugars right?   Would soul cast grain give her more lifelight than the same stormlight equivalent amount of soulcast meat?  

I dont think we know for sure but if I had to guess I would say Lift probably cannot create more calories with investiture than the Investiture itself would be. Generally the cosmere works on a lot of pseudo-scientific principles and while we dont know the reltivistic conversion to Energy yet, there's very likely to be some version of Conservation of (Invested) Energy involved.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:50 AM, Quantus said:

I dont think we know for sure but if I had to guess I would say Lift probably cannot create more calories with investiture than the Investiture itself would be. Generally the cosmere works on a lot of pseudo-scientific principles and while we dont know the reltivistic conversion to Energy yet, there's very likely to be some version of Conservation of (Invested) Energy involved.

The actual energy conversion of investiture gets really weird with the lights, as its suggested that they draw energy (though not investiture) from the spiritual realm, which is why the gaseous investiture glows. So there's a limited amount of investiture, but its creating a doorway for a constant supply of energy, which means its not a closed system.

9 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

It's a little off topic, but she would likely be much better served by a bendalloy medallion.

Oh my yes. If she gained access to bendalloy compounding, she could convert as much Preservation into life light as spiritweb could handle without overloading.

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Oh my yes. If she gained access to bendalloy compounding, she could convert as much Preservation into life light as spiritweb could handle without overloading.

I know we don't know enough about nicrosil as of yet.  

However...

Imagine if Lift could store and make medallions out of her old magic... or on a darker note.  Someone spiked the old magic from her and then started making medallions out of her boon.