Polestones and the Mists?

Trusk'our

Question

6 answers to this question

It's possible in theory but I dont think it would be as simple as leaving the Gem out in the Mists. I think you'd need something additional to actually suck it into the gem, something Stormlight (or at least the Highstorm) seems to do naturally but the Lifelight and Voidlight dont.  Lifelight in particular is present as a green Mist in the Nightwatcher's valley, but even though it is regularly visited there is no mention of stories (you'd expect Navani and Jasnah to seek out) of people accidentally filling their pocket change with a strangely behaving non-Storm Light.  

39 minutes ago, Yumiya said:

Maybe if you use Navani's technique and also knew the true tone of Harmony.

Precisely what I was thinking.  Though Im not clear on whether the black and white Mists have merged in the modern era, so it might still take the two different "pure" tones of Preservation and Ruin instead of what I think would be the equivalent of the Hybrid tones.    

Which brings us to the other gaseous Investiture: Breaths.  They can generally stick to and Invest any object so they dont really need any special properties of Gems (or metal for that matter) to house Breath.  But on the other hand Breath innately doesnt seem to play well with minerals, so maybe the polestone Gems would be easier to Invest than your average rock?

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Which brings us to the other gaseous Investiture: Breaths.  They can generally stick to and Invest any object so they dont really need any special properties of Gems (or metal for that matter) to house Breath.  But on the other hand Breath innately doesnt seem to play well with minerals, so maybe the polestone Gems would be easier to Invest than your average rock?

You can move Breaths to any non-Invested material without any issue, but Awakening non-biological materials is much harder. 

I wonder if perfect polstones would be useful for holding Breath deliberately meant for transfer, but not needing to be carried by anyone. 

Edited by Trusk'our

On 8/26/2022 at 3:37 AM, Yumiya said:

Maybe if you use Navani's technique and also knew the true tone of Harmony.

Perhaps this might be the key to distilling Godmetals from the Mists?

It probably wouldn't be as simple as humming a particular Tone while standing in the Mists, but perhaps it would be a major component.