Why do lighteyes eyes not change?

When a darkeyes bonds a shardblade living or dead, their eyes change to the color that matches the order corresponding to the type of spren. (Full disclosure, I'm really not a fan of this decision on Brandon's part but whatever). But why is the same not true for lighteyes? Sure, they already have light eyes, but why does the color of their eye not change to match the color of their order/the spren of the dead shardblade they bonded? I'm asking this both from an in-world perspective and a "why did brandon choose to have it work this way" perspective. Also, when a darkeyes and a lighteyes have children together, the children will have one eye of each. What happens when a person like this bonds a shardblade/spren?

I really liked the question, but the best answer I could find is:

Questioner

My question has to do with the color of Shallan's eyes currently, because we've noticed over the books that Kaladin's eyes, as he's continued to use his Surge, changed to lighter and lighter blue. Whereas one could argue that Shallan is farther in her Ideals than Kaladin is, yet her eyes have not changed at all.

Brandon Sanderson

Right, 'cause they were already light.

Questioner

'Cause they were already light? So it only affects lightness or darkness in the eyes, not necessarily any other color?

Brandon Sanderson

It's not like it is-- It's not like it's saying "Light minus 50%".

Questioner

It's not like Honor is blue and--

Brandon Sanderson

No. It is not. It is just kind of the way that the changes the Stormlight is making the body and certain people are already descended from people who had repeated, over time, changes by the body which stopped physically... That's not to say that all lighteyes that's where they came from. There are some that are natural mutations.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Also, this:

Steeldancer

If Kaladin created a kid while he had not summoned Syl in a while. Then he made another kid right after he summoned Syl, would they have different colored eyes?

Brandon Sanderson

Wow! I'll RAFO that for now.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

So... not conclusive at all :)

1 hour ago, Yuliya said:

My question has to do with the color of Shallan's eyes currently, because we've noticed over the books that Kaladin's eyes, as he's continued to use his Surge, changed to lighter and lighter blue. Whereas one could argue that Shallan is farther in her Ideals than Kaladin is, yet her eyes have not changed at all.

Brandon Sanderson

Right, 'cause they were already light.

Questioner

'Cause they were already light? So it only affects lightness or darkness in the eyes, not necessarily any other color?

Huh. That's very odd, cause it doesn't just lighten their eyes. Kaladin's eyes are brown, but summoning Syl makes them blue. If it just lightened them, this would make more sense. Well thank you for the WOBs!

5 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

Huh. That's very odd, cause it doesn't just lighten their eyes. Kaladin's eyes are brown, but summoning Syl makes them blue. If it just lightened them, this would make more sense. Well thank you for the WOBs!

I think that Radiants change color, but regular blades just make them light.

24 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I think that Radiants change color, but regular blades just make them light.

That's possible, it seems Moash's eyes became tan from brown (and I think tan is considered light brown? Not completely sure, I'm colorblind lol). But that still doesn't answer the question of why lighteyed radiants' eyes never change.

The impression I get is that you don't "overwrite" an existing lighteyed color. I think this is further evidence that lighteyed colors are something we don't have on Earth.

Brandon has stated that heterochromatic eyes are the most probable result for the children of a lighteyed / darkeyed couple, which is absolutely not Earth eye color genetics.

Also, lighteyed eye colors seem more easily visible and more distinct than Earth eye colors, which are often quite dependent on lighting conditions.

So I think the in-world answer is "it changes from natural eye colors to lighteyed, but doesn't overwrite lighteyed colors" and the writing reason is "it's a hint that Rosharan lighteyes aren't just earthly blue/green eyes but something related to the Investiture of the world".

Edited by cometaryorbit