Odiums Perpendicularity

The Watcher of Truths

Question

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, The Watcher of Truths said:

I am sure this idea exists but I have to wonder about Odiums Perpendicularity. Odium has been on Braize and is invested on it making it a possible place for the Perpendicularity. However he is also invested on Roshar so could he have two?

Good point. I think I've heard the barrier storm around Braize in the cognitive realm might be his perpendicularity. If so, the Everstorm might be a piece of that and the representation of his Investiture on Roschar. I'm pretty sure the Everstorm is his Perpendicularity, especially because I think the Voidspren/Fused come through to the Physical Realm through it.

Perpendicularities (fun word to type) allow a connection between all three realms.

Highstorms recharge with Stormlight (Honor's Light) but are not really a perpendicularity so I see where the OP is coming from.

Odium and the Everstorm is special then with in-built perpendicularity capability (something I now I have always wanted :) )

Maybe Highstorms could contain perpendicularities opened by the Stormfather? And so maybe Odium acts like the 'Stormfather' for the Everstorm.

I've never thought about the mobility of perpendicularities before!

On 02/08/2022 at 2:24 PM, AFdooda said:

Maybe Highstorms could contain perpendicularities opened by the Stormfather? And so maybe Odium acts like the 'Stormfather' for the Everstorm.

Interesting idea! We know Perpendicularities can be moved, as Honor's Perpendicularty is known to move unpredictably.

Honor's Perpendicularity is moved all the time, but that might have to do with (Spoiler for Oathbringer, maybe WoR too)

Spoiler

Dalinar moving it as a bondsmith.

whereas Odium doesn't have a bondsmith because he is a Shard, not a Splinter. (I think that is the reason he doesn't have a bondsmith that we know of, but that could be wrong.)

Spoiler

Also, we know the Stormfather is a splinter, but what is the classification for the Sibling and the Nightwatcher? Do we know? Also Splinters?

Edited by ImportantQuestions

27 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Also, the Nightwatcher isn't a Splinter. The Stormfather is only a Splinter because Honor is dead.

Maybe you're thinking of a Sliver? The Nightwatcher is (as far as we know) a Splinter, like all spren are. But the Stormfather is a Sliver because he's merged with Tanavast's cognitive shadow. We're getting more and more inundated with special, proper terms that aren't as distinct from each other as they could be (I don't like having to distinguish between Shards, the pieces of Adonalsium, and Shards, the swords and armor so important to Roshar).

Edited by Returned

13 hours ago, Returned said:

Maybe you're thinking of a Sliver

yeah, I meant Sliver, I just put Splinter instead. Following that up, does that make the Stormfather both a Sliver and a Splinter because he is a Splinter fused with a cognitive shadow making him Sliver?

Edited by ImportantQuestions
undoing a typo