Nicrosil and honorblades

4 hours ago, therunner said:

Most likely no, as the ability to Surgebind comes from the Honorblade, not spiritweb of holder.
Feruchemy works only with the person themselves, so it is the person that has to be Invested/have the power.

So honorblades don't do anything to your spiritweb to allow you to surgebind.  I assume other medallions would fit into this.  Probably can't store the ability from a medallion either?  You would need to use spikes and find a way to survive the extraction of said spikes in order to really collect powers and not end up a total pin cushion.  

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

So honorblades don't do anything to your spiritweb to allow you to surgebind.  I assume other medallions would fit into this.  Probably can't store the ability from a medallion either?  You would need to use spikes and find a way to survive the extraction of said spikes in order to really collect powers and not end up a total pin cushion.  

Honorblades Bond to your Spiritweb to allow you to use teh Surges, and the Spren are copying that same mechanism (with what becomes a much stronger Bond).  So if a Nicrosil Soulbearer could Store and Retrieve the ability to use a Surge from a Radiant Bond, I think it should be able to equally store the "prototype" Honorblade Bond.

Brandon Sanderson

A full-blown Radiant can heal almost anything (cut from a Shardblade included) because of the way the magic works--their soul is literally bonded to Investiture, and it suffuses them in such a way that even the soul is very resilient to damage.

Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more Stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can.

So the difference is not in the device that did the damage, but in the method using to heal. Over the course of the first two book, the reader should be able to subtly pick out differences from what Szeth says is possible (in more than just healing) and what Kaladin experiences.

General Reddit 2017 (Sept. 8, 2017)

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Honorblades Bond to your Spiritweb to allow you to use teh Surges, and the Spren are copying that same mechanism (with what becomes a much stronger Bond).  So if a Nicrosil Soulbearer could Store and Retrieve the ability to use a Surge from a Radiant Bond, I think it should be able to equally store the "prototype" Honorblade Bond.

Thanks for this.  So someone with access to nicrosil feruchemy could potentially store access to surges via holding an honorblade.  If they could compound nicrosil they could potentially end up with permanent access to all of the surges if they were to gain access to at least 5 honorblades.   

The surge usage would not be tied to a bond or oath as they would simply store and compound access to that form of power.  

I assume this would be an easier and more plausible path to it then fabrials as I don't believe fabrials touch the spirit web at all.   

Do medallions work off of a spirit web?   If someone held a nicrosil medallion and then used other medallions for each feruchemical power would they be able to create metalminds that stores the ability to store into other metalminds?   Or do medallions not interact with the spiritweb even as much as honorblades do? 

1 hour ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Thanks for this.  So someone with access to nicrosil feruchemy could potentially store access to surges via holding an honorblade.  If they could compound nicrosil they could potentially end up with permanent access to all of the surges if they were to gain access to at least 5 honorblades.   

The surge usage would not be tied to a bond or oath as they would simply store and compound access to that form of power.  

I assume this would be an easier and more plausible path to it then fabrials as I don't believe fabrials touch the spirit web at all.   

Do medallions work off of a spirit web?   If someone held a nicrosil medallion and then used other medallions for each feruchemical power would they be able to create metalminds that stores the ability to store into other metalminds?   Or do medallions not interact with the spiritweb even as much as honorblades do? 

The surge-granting Fabrials are a little special and they do touch the spiritweb (and risk Savantism which is a warping of it).  They are also a type of weak spren Bond so I think the are like the Honorblades in that respect.