Insanity Clinic For The Moderately Brandofandonitis Afflicted

Medium

4 minutes ago, Nameless said:

"If the story of a book was based on a completely illogical premise, would you read it? For an example, what if a book was based around a character whose narrative journey involved winning at everything without effort, because said character is an author insert. Would you read that book?"

"Yes, I would have learned something at the end. The example you propose is a poem on man's heart. Written for the wish of doing nothing for something."

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Yes, I would have learned something at the end. The example you propose is a poem on man's heart. Written for the wish of doing nothing for something."

"Well then, I suppose you and I are different. I would not enjoy such a book, and thus I cannot enjoy fantasy series any longer."

10 minutes ago, Nameless said:

"Well then, I suppose you and I are different. I would not enjoy such a book, and thus I cannot enjoy fantasy series any longer."

"Fantasy is more like real life then you are portraying it as. Fantasy isn't based off of some illogical premise. It is based of if something had happened differently, either a little bit ago, up to the creation of the universe. The characters have heartache and sorrow and many die. Those that die shouldn't and those that live shouldn't, rather like real life."

Calano regained his dignity, among other things and reassumed his position as Head of the Clinic.

"Welcome, @Ranryu to the Clinic. Yes, your room will most likely be somewhere in Block C.... But for now, drop a sleeping bag somewhere in Nameless' room until we can get the book situation under control."

He turned to Wizard/Emma

"What do I call you now? Wemma? Eizard? Wizemma? Emmzard?"

12 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Fantasy is more like real life then you are portraying it as. Fantasy isn't based off of some illogical premise. It is based of if something had happened differently, either a little bit ago, up to the creation of the universe. The characters have heartache and sorrow and many die. Those that die shouldn't and those that live shouldn't, rather like real life."

"Yes, but the whole basis of the journey is flawed and never happens in real life."

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

"Yes, but the whole basis of the journey is flawed and never happens in real life."

"So? We have our own journeys in real life. Even if the circumstances are never the same, there is the same emotion, the same cycle of regression and progression. Why can't we look at other's journeys, no matter their origin, for help with our own?"

1 minute ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"So? We have our own journeys in real life. Even if the circumstances are never the same, there is the same emotion, the same cycle of regression and progression. Why can't we look at other's journeys, no matter their origin, for help with our own?"

"The journeys of characters in books are not good examples. The 'progression' they go through doesn't happen in real life."

Just now, Nameless said:

"The journeys of characters in books are not good examples. The 'progression' they go through doesn't happen in real life."

Bookwyrm raised an eyebrow. "Really? Yeah, we don't gain magic powers in real life. But we do come to our own conclusions, we achieve things, we realize things about ourselves and grow, just like they do." He gestured to the copy of Oathbringer.

" 'I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.' Is that not a conclusion that people need to realize in real life?"

Just now, The Bookwyrm said:

Bookwyrm raised an eyebrow. "Really? Yeah, we don't gain magic powers in real life. But we do come to our own conclusions, we achieve things, we realize things about ourselves and grow, just like they do." He gestured to the copy of Oathbringer.

" 'I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.' Is that not a conclusion that people need to realize in real life?"

Nameless raised an eyebrow, summoning a ball of flame above his hand. "That's a fine conclusion, but... I always thought that I could  find an adventure like the ones in books, if I looked hard enough. Guess I just realized that's impossible."

Nameless raised an eyebrow, summoning a ball of flame above his hand. "That's a fine conclusion, but... I always thought that I could  find an adventure like the ones in books, if I looked hard enough. Guess I just realized that's impossible."

"Life is an adventure. Yeah, it's a boring one, sometimes. But we learn, we grow, we interact with others, and we progress. We gain new talents and abilities, learn new secrets about ourselves and our world, and then do the best we can to get to the place that we want to be at. Our life is a quest, and it's an incredible one."

Edited by The Bookwyrm

1 minute ago, The Bookwyrm said:

"Life is an adventure. Yeah, it's a boring one, sometimes. But we learn, we grow, we interact with others, and we progress. We gain new talents and abilities, learn new secrets about ourselves and our world, and then do the best we can to get to the place that we want to be at. Everything a good fantasy novel has."

"I'm not giving up on life, I'm just admitting that fantasy books aren't good examples of it."

"I'm not giving up on life, I'm just admitting that fantasy books aren't good examples of it."

"think they are. But oh well. Each is entitled to their own opinion." Bookwyrm found a hidden compartment and pulled out a bag of Atium beads. "There it is."

Edited by The Bookwyrm

"Oh." Bookwyrm reached into the secret compartment and pulled out some other metals. "You can find basically anything in here, if you look hard enough. You should try it."

He grabbed some more stuff from the compartment. "I'm going to go make some metal vials now. Be right back."

2 hours ago, CalanoCorvus said:

"What do I call you now? Wemma? Eizard? Wizemma? Emmzard?"

Wizard's eyes flash black and the blackness covers his body. Out of the darkness walks Emma, long hair flowing behind her. "Just call me which ever one I am at the time." Grins Emma

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

“To quote George RR Martin, 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one...' To read is to live another life, is that life any less real than this one?" Querries Emma.

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

“To quote George RR Martin, 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one...' To read is to live another life, is that life any less real than this one?" Querries Emma.

"Yes."

4 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"No matter how real it may seem, it is in your mind. Nothing more than that."

2 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Yet it leaves you with experiences and knowledge that you wouldn't have gained another way."

"And if those experiences are misleading? Is it good to learn morals that are wrong masquerading as those that are right?"

2 minutes ago, CalanoCorvus said:

"Those experiences and that knowledge can degrade over time."

"And so does all knowledge that is why we re-read books over and over."

"And if those experiences are misleading? Is it good to learn morals that are wrong masquerading as those that are right?"

"What is better a man doing something right for the wrong reasons or something wrong for right reasons?"