Early Bondsmith Weirdness?

Kered

Ello, all. This more asking for suggestions and opinions than actually stating a theory. Checked Arcanum for this one and came up with nada. 

I’ve been re-listening to WoR and something popped out to me this go around. In this book, particularly in parts 1&2, it’s brought up quite a bit(in some form) that Dalinar trusts Kaladin a lot and he doesn’t know why. At first I thought this was just for narrative/character building stuff, making Kaladin seem more responsible and important. Now, I’m not so sure. The easy answer beyond the narrative stuff is just that Dalinar has good intuition and instinct built up from his experiences in leadership roles. But what if it’s actually the early manifestations of Dalinar ability with connection related to his Bondsmith abilities. I think it’s been said before that his process towards bonding the Stormfather started a bit before the end of WoR. Dalinar himself states that he thinks he’s been inhaling storm light for a while now and I think there’s some WoBs on it. 

if it was a spectrum, intuition/instinct on one end and Connection abilities on the other, I personally think it’s somewhere in the middle, maybe a tiny bit more towards Connection. I don’t thinks super important, just thought it could be a nice little nugget of info. Kinda like how Dalinar may have been taping into his abilities when he gave his speech to the army before the first Everstorm and made glory spren appear. 

Anywho, interested to hear your peeps ideas/opinions!

I think there is definite potential for this, I think before Kaladin swears any oaths he could (in the small scale) manipulate surges on bridge runs so maybe Connection has a similar role to play. 

But I do think it is more likely they could just sort of resonate with each other, there have been multiple comparisons on how similar they are as people. But more than just two people who meet and like each other but they can sort of sense that the other is a knight Radiant material or are on their way. 

Edited by AerionBFII

It certainly seems possible. Shallan's timeline is odd, but we know that Kaladin had attracted Syl long before he did anything with Surgebinding or Radiant oaths. And it also seems clear that at least some Radiants gain exceptional abilities, like Kaladin's skill with a spear and Shallan's memory and art. So I think it's plausible that Dalinar could have had some special enhancements of his own at least that far back, and enhancing his leadership abilities or sharpening his judgment of character would be in line with his powers. We'd probably want to start the clock on that last one after the end of WoK, since Sadeas was a swing and a miss for him.

As for the drawing in Stormlight well into the past, I think that Dalinar was just developing Surgebinding powers and not necessarily developing a bond with the Stormfather. I could be wrong, of course, but my feeling is that the Stormfather's path to finding a Radiant was different from Syl's.

9 hours ago, mathiau said:

It could also be Kaladin accidently using some kind of Spiritual Gravitation

Consent in the cosmere is starting to get on pretty shaky ground tbh. 

Edited by Kered