World building implications of the first chapters of SP#1

Oltux72

4 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, there it is and I get why he said that world building was demanding. Can you have twelve moons around a planet? The short answer is only for some time. It requires a repulsive force among the moons to be stable.
Orbital mechanics

So the question that opens up to me is simple. Are the moons the Aethers?

Considering the location is near to a place called Verdant Lunagree, and Vedant was one of the Aethers, and that Aether was associated with plants, and Verdant Lunagree drops spores ... that does seem likely. 

22 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Considering the location is near to a place called Verdant Lunagree, and Vedant was one of the Aethers, and that Aether was associated with plants, and Verdant Lunagree drops spores ... that does seem likely. 

Do you take the description to be specific to Verdant, that is the other moons do not drop spores?

Just now, Oltux72 said:

Do you take the description to be specific to Verdant, that is the other moons do not drop spores?

There are a few other seas mentioned with different colours, and the seas are all supposed to be pollen or spores, so it could be the other moons drop different things or different types of spores, but Verdant was described as green.

I want to say there was a WoB or something that Brandon was playing around with the number of Aethers & landed on a larger number than in Aether of Night ? 

anyway, I am 100% convinced this is the Aether planet! So exciting! 

Just now, honorblades said:

I want to say there was a WoB or something that Brandon was playing around with the number of Aethers & landed on a larger number than in Aether of Night ? 

I am too!!! I hope it is. 

6 minutes ago, honorblades said:

Yeah he had 12 Aethers

Spoiler

Phillip Denny

Is there a "how the sausage is made" reason why there are 16 Shards, instead of 15 or 17?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it splits really nice on a table. When I was developing the Cosmere in general, I was looking for... the division of multiples of 2 is just so much fun for designing things like the Allomantic Table. You can do that with 10, you can do that with 15, yes. I find aesthetically pleasing the way that 16, 8, and groups of 4 work, and that's how I arrived at that number.

I also did have some kind of boundaries on myself. I needed it to be a large enough number that it could cover the full group that I wanted to do in Dragonsteel, but it had to be small enough that people could track them all. 16 is a little on the high end for that, but doable, I believe. Particularly since you really only have to track all 16 when I write the Dragonsteel stories. (You'll really have to track 17 because we have Hoid, who did not take one.) But lately, you have at least one of the Shards being combined, and others of the Shards no longer being relevant to the course of stories, and things like that. So you won't actually, in the future, have to track 1.

But it was a nice number for what I wanted to do; not too big, not too small, and I liked how the divisions broke down. And I knew I was going to do 10 with Roshar by that point. If I was gonna pick 10, I would have to use 10 again in Mistborn, which I could do, but I wanted to have different themes. I wanted their tables and math to look a little different visually on the page, since they were two pillars. So 10 and 16 felt like the two good pillars. The Aether world is a 12 world, so we'll have a 12 also. The Aether world does not play into things nearly as much, but it'll depend on how many books I write using the Aethers in the future.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)