How do we know what the Shard's original Vessels look like?

Medium

I've been scouring the Coppermind when bored (like you do), and I see all the art of the original Vessels.

But I can't find any mention ANYWHERE of how we know they looked the way they look in the art?

Does anyone know where the references (if any) are? Or is this just artistic license?

Tanavast has also appeared to Dalinar at the end of Way of Kings, although, as with Rayse, his appearance could be modified to have a certain effect on Dalinar. We can certainly see it a an appearance though, and as long as we don't have evidence against it, I don't see a problem with using it as a stand-in at least. He also looks cool as hell.

This argument cannot be applied to Leras and Ati who left replicas of their original bodies when they died on-screen.

It's a bit more complicated with Cultivation since she is a dragon and therefore a shapeshifter. But maybe there is a standard human form a dragon can go to. We don't really know how dragon shapeshifting works. But stuff like the color of her scales when in dragon form is always purely speculative - as are the appearances of the other original vessels.

There is this interesting bit about Bavadin though:

Questioner

The thing I wanted to ask you about was in White Sand, it's actually on the map, it is...(pointing at map) is this Autonomy, or Bavadin?

Brandon Sanderson

Hehehe, that is a very good guess.....that is very very sharply guessed...

Questioner

Yeah, coz, I really, I just like kind of the idea of the Shards and stuff, and I guess I want to learn more about what they look like and, kind of their personalities and stuff.

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin's a hard one, because what does Bavadin look like? Bavadin looks like what she feels like looking like, or what he feels like looking like, depending upon the day.

Arcanum Unbounded Seattle signing (Dec. 1, 2016)

12 hours ago, Doomslug The Destroyer said:

I've been scouring the Coppermind when bored (like you do), and I see all the art of the original Vessels.

But I can't find any mention ANYWHERE of how we know they looked the way they look in the art?

Does anyone know where the references (if any) are? Or is this just artistic license?

5 hours ago, Sequence said:

I thought that what we knew about the vessels that were encountered by characters were from their descriptions of them, and the ones who the characters didn't meet were complete guesses, @Doomslug The Destroyer

Yeah, for the ones that show up on the page in the books we are assuming their humanoid appearance is what they actually looked like before becoming Shard Vessels. 

With Cultivation (Koravellium) she's really a dragon who preferrred to appear as a human and married a human (Tanavast), but we assume her human appearance seen by Dalinar and Taravangian is how she appeared when shape-shifted to a human pre-Shattering. 

With Leras (Preservation) and Ati (Ruin) Sazed sees their corpses before he picks up their powers, it's likely those are their real bodies since their are dead and unable to disguise themselves. 

Rayse we really don't know. He appears as a kindly old grandfather figure most of the time, but when he shows up for the battle at Thaylen Field he looks like a Singer which we know he wasn't. So both forms could be a disguise and Nightblood destroyed most of his corpse so we can't go by that. 

Sazed (Harmony) is the only current Vessel who we know for sure what they looked like as a mortal. 

5 hours ago, Elegy said:

There is this interesting bit about Bavadin though:

Unfortunately, the design's apparently just a design Isaac came up with that's not relevant to the broader Cosmere as far as Brandon knows. (Which, weirdly, is not the first time Isaac has added a random woman with partially red hair to the side of a Cosmere map, lmao.)

Botanica

Hey Brandon, may I ask if the red-haired woman on the Dayside map is a kind of depiction of one of Bavadin's personas?

Brandon Sanderson

She is not. Isaac designed that border without any explicit instructions from me, so while he might have an idea of who it is, it isn't someone specifically relevant to large-scale cosmere workings.

But yeah the second half of the one you pointed out is super interesting. Still sad Brandon confirmed she's not a dragon.

4 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

married a human (Tanavast),

We don't actually know Tanavast's species, do we?

13 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Actually, not the hard confirmation. But we know only one Vessel was Dragon - Korav/Cultivation, and we know Uli Daa (Ambition) was Sho Del. And also we know most Vessel were humans.

20 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Actually, not the hard confirmation. But we know only one Vessel was Dragon - Korav/Cultivation, and we know Uli Daa (Ambition) was Sho Del. And also we know most Vessel were humans.

The way the WoB reads to me is that only one current Vessel is a dragon, meaning dead ones could also be, but it's not 100% clear I don't think. Doubt he's Sho Del, though, yeah. Name doesn't match the pattern their society apparently uses.

Well we know that there is only one dragon currently on Roshar, and at least one dragon is a vessel. We can also probably eliminate Tarnavast as being a dragon

But have we considered yet the possibility of Tarnavast being 3 dragons in a trench coat?

23 hours ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

We don't. I just assume the Honor vessel would present a non-deceptive version of himself in the visions. Then again he appears with golden pants, golden vest and golden boots. Maybe I shouldn't trust the Vessel Goldmember.

320px-Honor_by_Kyle_Pearson.jpg6217abfe21157_Austin-Powers-Goldmember-Goldmember-s-Roller-Skates-Costume-5(2).jpg.9d611fc68f4ba41441cb77fe98ed2f3c.jpg