I have a few thoughts on Dawnshards.

I am relatively sure that there are four of them, I may have misinterpreted something, but I think there are four. 

In their name, They are called shards. This seems significant to me, and seems to imply that they were once together and part of a whole(or all of a whole). We also know that Hoid held a Dawnshard to help shatter Adonalsium. What if Hoid's end goal is to reunite all of the Dawnshards and recreate whatever they originally were?

8 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

This seems significant to me, and seems to imply that they were once together and part of a whole(or all of a whole). We also know that Hoid held a Dawnshard to help shatter Adonalsium. What if Hoid's end goal is to reunite all of the Dawnshards and recreate whatever they originally were?

This is a really interesting point you bring up... if the 'shards' were part of a whole, and a shard was used to shatter Adonalsium... that must mean that something else was shattered prior to "The Shattering" and what could that thing have been?

This is going to be in the back of my mind on my next Cosmere readthrough.

4 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

This is a really interesting point you bring up... if the 'shards' were part of a whole, and a shard was used to shatter Adonalsium... that must mean that something else was shattered prior to "The Shattering" and what could that thing have been?

It was probably some form of proto-binder thing. There's a missing gap between Adonalsium's singular and the Dawnshard's quad setup, makes since if there were to be some kind of duo-thing between them. Likely two things broken in half each time on some conceptual level the way Adonalsium was separated into his sixteen conceptual Shards. This is completely influenced by the idea of the Dawnshard quadrants lining up in any respectable way, but I feel no guilt on that.

• 3 weeks later...

With Adonalsium probably being a sapient being and we know one Danshard was Change, maybe they represent fundamental structures that even God was bound to. I have a theory that the Dawnshards are Change, Connection, Identity, and Power as you can put all of the known Shards under these catagories. 

Chip

My hypothesis is that when the Sleepless say big A used the Dawnshards to create the universe, they are slightly off. Adonalsium made something to create the Universe (let's call it the Dawncommand, as in "command that brought the First Dawn", equivalent to the biblical "Let there be Light") and then split it in four more easily usable parts. In that theory the Dawncommand would be something like "Be" or "Exists"

On 07/02/2022 at 11:45 PM, Lunu’anaki said:

This is going to be in the back of my mind on my next Cosmere readthrough.

I'm pretty sure the four Dawnshards were used to unravel Adonalsium, or at least that the Sleepless think four were.