Ohai

CryoZenith

Hello everyone! I'm not entirely new to the fanbase and the content, been following Brandon's work since around 2011 or so and read everything he put out aside from his Wheel of Time books (dw, will get to it :3) and I check out the reddits semi-regularly, and I also watched a fair number of shardcast podcasts, but I just randomly didn't think of checking out this forum. Eager to get to know y'all and alternately fangirl over/theorycraft over stuff.

Just now, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

Venli. I guess she's not necessarily the character I hate the most in a vacuum (though she's high on the list in that sense too) but having an entire third of a book trying to see things from her POV and still struggling to hate her less propels her to the top. Hbu?

Just now, CryoZenith said:

Venli. I guess she's not necessarily the character I hate the most in a vacuum (though she's high on the list in that sense too) but having an entire third of a book trying to see things from her POV and still struggling to hate her less propels her to the top. Hbu?

Nooooooo, Venli is my favorite :(. I guess I'd have to say Moash because I've been corrupted by other people /lh.

@CryoZenith Hey, welcome to the shard! I am interested in why you dislike Venli so much. Personally, I really like her as a character. It's fun to me to watch someone realize they have made a big mistake, and to see them try and make up for it. Even if it's a slow process. Because in real life, it usually does take a lot of time. 

Also, there's a group of people here on the forums that run mafia games based on Sanderson's books. It's called Sanderson Elimination. If you're curious, you can take a read at the general rules here, and the signups for the next game can be found here.

@StrikerEZ I don't think Venli is unrealistically written. I dislike Venli as a person, not as a character. In terms of *realism*, yes, it is realistic for someone to be in denial about an atrocity they committed, and to be very slow on the uptake of dealing with internalizing that and changing one's perspective. It is also realistic that no *external* karmic event will come and screw over Venli for what she's done, because reality doesn't work on karma (hell, even a world such as the Cosmere, where perception seeps reality, doesn't work on karma per se). But just because I agree to those things being realistic, doesn't mean I stop *disliking* Venli. Just because I agree that Brandon masterfully and coherently described Venli's actions as she should've taken them given her personality and epistemic limits, doesn't mean I have to *like* reading a book that has a lot of Venli in it. Or, in other words: I don't think any less of Brandon for having made Venli. But that's a fact about Brandon, not a fact about Venli. Hope that explains my perspective.

Yeah, I saw that the forum is hosting mafia games. Unfortunately those require the kind of commitment that I don't feel like making before my exams are over. So... see you there March, probs?

8 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

@StrikerEZ I don't think Venli is unrealistically written. I dislike Venli as a person, not as a character. In terms of *realism*, yes, it is realistic for someone to be in denial about an atrocity they committed, and to be very slow on the uptake of dealing with internalizing that and changing one's perspective. It is also realistic that no *external* karmic event will come and screw over Venli for what she's done, because reality doesn't work on karma (hell, even a world such as the Cosmere, where perception seeps reality, doesn't work on karma per se). But just because I agree to those things being realistic, doesn't mean I stop *disliking* Venli. Just because I agree that Brandon masterfully and coherently described Venli's actions as she should've taken them given her personality and epistemic limits, doesn't mean I have to *like* reading a book that has a lot of Venli in it. Or, in other words: I don't think any less of Brandon for having made Venli. But that's a fact about Brandon, not a fact about Venli. Hope that explains my perspective.

That's really interesting, seeing your perspective on this. I can understand what you mean, even if I do enjoy reading Venli. I find her such an interesting perspective to read about.

8 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

Yeah, I saw that the forum is hosting mafia games. Unfortunately those require the kind of commitment that I don't feel like making before my exams are over. So... see you there March, probs?

That's completely fair! Focusing on real life is definitely more important. If you are wanting to play, there will almost always be new games coming up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 6:58 AM, CryoZenith said:

I have a very similar view of Venli, the more it seems like we are trying get her perspective, the more I get driven a little crazy by the way she thinks and acts (she seems so motivated by what other people think, but doesn't ever think about helping others just to do something good). I can appreciate the actions that she is taking in the later books without liking her (although, I give a lot of credit to Timbre).

To an extent, even though Ulim is the truly evil one who pulled Venli's strings, she essentially plagiarized the "discovery of stormform." That angers me... It wasn't her idea and she did not even understand what she was doing, but she took credit, knowing all of that.

6 hours ago, Kandrafish said:

(although, I give a lot of credit to Timbre)

Me too, which annoys me even more :D. Most Radiants we've seen so far (aside from 11 year old Shallan) attracted spren by already being virtuous, to some degree. Venli just... had nearly no redeeming qualities until Timbre started dragging her in the right direction. Again, don't get me wrong, it makes sense mechanically speaking because of Spiritual Connection reverse-causality (same as the Kaladin-Syl situation), but it's just another thing that feels unearned and grates me.