The Name of Skai's Magic System

darniil

I've seen on these forums a few different ways to refer to it. Off the top of my head, I remember FjorDor and DakDor. Both of these terms are been based on: 1. The fact that the Dakhor Monastery taps the Dor to do what it does, and 2. The Elantrian magic system is called AonDor.

Since the Elantrian magic system seems to favor Aona, wouldn't it follow that the Dakhor magic system, which presumably favors Skai, be called something like SkaDor?

(This, of course, presumes that someone in Fjordell knew of Skai's existence and assumes that the early Elantrians knew of Aona's existence, as has been proposed elsewhere.)

It seems like every Shard gets one thing named after them. Aona got Aons. Ati got Atium. Leras got Lerasium.

Skai gets creatures- they're called Skaze. They are apparently "evil Seons" who have a lot to do with the politicking in Fjordell. (They tell Dilaf that Elantrians can be killed). The magic name is usually Dahkor, after the Monastary that trains the monks in this magic.

• 1 month later...

I have this little theory, it sort of relates to this. Aona and Skai both influence a guy called Keseg to write a holy book about 'Unity' and such. since keseg is jindoese (like shuden), i assume that this is also where ChayShan comes from.

When Odium came to do his thing, seons and skaze get made (or invented, or something).

Seons go round being devoted and generally focusing on that, thus we get shu-korath (obviously not created by the seons, but influenced by them). the skaze go and dominate some cultures and we end up with shu-dereth. this also links up to the connections with AonDor, SkaDor and Chay shan. im not even sure of the relevance of this now, that was a proper mental hiccup.

• 4 years later...

I have this little theory, it sort of relates to this. Aona and Skai both influence a guy called Keseg to write a holy book about 'Unity' and such.

Yes!  I agree that this man Keseg was likely influenced by the shards to help unite the people of Sel.  While this idea has been mentioned elsewhere, I believe that the eventual "unsplintering" of Dominion and Devotion will be the creation of Unity, a new shard much like Harmony (combination of Preservation and Ruin).

I think AonDor is a bit of a fusion of both magic systems- the Dor after all, is the pool of both Shards' power. I think Dominion insisted on these very methodical, systematized methods of utilizing the power (Aons, ChayShan, Mystery runes, Dakhor), and Aona, out of devotion, gave her power to his control. So all magic systems are a fusion of both of them- I believe they were lovers in life, too. Makes sense they would fuse in a positive way.

Ironically, Dakhor is the system that requires you to be most devoted of all of them- so devoted they would commit suicide for their cause. I feel like both devotion and dominion are present, in different forms, in all the magic systems and societies. Devoted to learning the Aons, and the moves, devoted to kill for the Mysteries. 

• Chaos locked this topic