FanX 2021

The FanX site doesn't have anything yet. (And from what I recall from prior years, the website might not be that promptly updated.) I haven't seen anything from Brandon's social media, either, but that will probably the best place to keep an eye out.

https://fanxsaltlake.com/guests/brandon-sanderson/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 7:04 PM, Woefulleaf said:

I will be going to fanx and I hope to see Brandon there. Does he do signings there or just panels? Are we allowed to bring books for him to sign? How does this work? I’m clueless.

In the past, he's done multiple signings over the course of the weekend, and you are allowed to bring your own books to get signed. Depending on the venue, there's often a limit on how many you can get signed at one time, but if you have a lot you can usually wait until the end of a line and get a bunch done after everyone else has gone through.

I am going to FanX also this year. My wife is selling merchandise there.

But ill only be there for one day (watching our kiddo so my wife won't have to worry about it) so if y'all hear anymore details about when he is doing his signing or panels, please let me know so I come on the right day! haha I'll report on here too if I find anything 

On 9/10/2021 at 10:25 AM, MangoMongo said:

I am going to FanX also this year. My wife is selling merchandise there.

But ill only be there for one day (watching our kiddo so my wife won't have to worry about it) so if y'all hear anymore details about when he is doing his signing or panels, please let me know so I come on the right day! haha I'll report on here too if I find anything 

I know he will be there on the 18th if that helps

Brandon's latest YouTube update has his FanX schedule:

• Thursday
    • 6:00 PM, "Writing a Successful Series in Science Fiction and Fantasy." Location: 250A
    • 7:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.
  • Friday
    • 1:00 PM, "Writers of the Future: Learn How to Engage Readers." Location: 355B.
    • 3:00 PM, "Intentionally Blank; The Brandon and Dan Podcast." Location: 250A.
    • 6:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.
  • Saturday
    • 4:00 PM, "Brandon Sanderson Spotlight Panel." Location: 250A.
    • 5:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.

Signing lines would be good to drop a recorder down, if anybody has them. I expect Brandon's team will be recording the Spotlight panel, but it wouldn't hurt to have that recorded as well off a phone in the room, since Dragonsteel usually takes a little bit to get their recordings up.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:55 PM, Pagerunner said:

Brandon's latest YouTube update has his FanX schedule:

• Thursday
    • 6:00 PM, "Writing a Successful Series in Science Fiction and Fantasy." Location: 250A
    • 7:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.
  • Friday
    • 1:00 PM, "Writers of the Future: Learn How to Engage Readers." Location: 355B.
    • 3:00 PM, "Intentionally Blank; The Brandon and Dan Podcast." Location: 250A.
    • 6:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.
  • Saturday
    • 4:00 PM, "Brandon Sanderson Spotlight Panel." Location: 250A.
    • 5:00 PM, Signing. Location: Booth 1518.

Signing lines would be good to drop a recorder down, if anybody has them. I expect Brandon's team will be recording the Spotlight panel, but it wouldn't hurt to have that recorded as well off a phone in the room, since Dragonsteel usually takes a little bit to get their recordings up.

Thanks so much!

Also, I love your Toa Mask profile pic! =D

Sorry,  I wasn't able to record people's questions in the signing line tonight.  I was with my 1 year old son so it was kinda hard to do so. I didnt even get my own question recorded because the staff had my phone to take a picture, haha. Also, I didn't see any recording device on the table during the signing. :( But I recorded his answers immediately afterwards.

So my question:

(Rhythm of War Spoilers!)

MangoMongo:

Could an awakener turn one of the dead spren bodies that Ishar had pulled into the physical realm into a lifeless?

Brandon:

Yes, that is within the realm of possibility.

MangoMongo:

What about forgery? Could that be used on one of them?

Brandon:

Yes, that is technically within the realm of possibility too, but it would be very difficult and require a lot of knowledge. The forger would also need to know what had gone wrong with the spren, in the first place, to fix it. So yes, it's possible but very difficult.

(the line moved on at this point and I have realized that he probably interpreted my question as asking if forgery could be used to fix the dead physical spren or fix whatever had gone wrong with whatever the heck Ishar had done. His answer makes more sense from that lens.)

I wish I had thought of better follow up questions, especially in clarifying the forgery one. But in the moment it was hard to think of them, haha. Asking questions of Brandon is truly an art!

Here's the Arcanum event for this year's FanX. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/475-fanx-2021/

Anyone who gets audio can upload it there, anyone who gets WoBs can add them directly to the event, and if anyone sees any reports on Reddit you can feel free to add them to the event as well (or tag me in the comments, u/Pagerunner17, and I'll make sure it gets in).

Turns out there was a recorder yesterday. @MangoMongo, you may wanna head over and take a listen to your audio; there was a bit of background noise, so you may be able to make out some parts that were difficult to hear.

WoBs are going to be coming up here as they get transcribed: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/475-fanx-2021/

Anyone who wants to help transcribe, you can keep up to date with all new audio as it gets added here: https://wob.coppermind.net/todo/

OK, just got home.  My wife and I are both very tired, so I'll get the audio put up tomorrow morning.  There was one thing Brandon asked me to scrub from the audio before posting because it's a big spoiler for an unpublished work, and after he said what it is, yeah, I definitely agree!  So if you find your question in the transcription but the last few words of the answer are missing, please keep it to yourself. ;)

I did manage to get one question out of him, which was after the recorder was turned off, so I'll report it here.

Q: Before the Shattering, the original 16 Vessels, how Cosmere-aware were they and were any of them worldhoppers?

A: In the current continuity, they were not worldhoppers.  Well... the dragons were the most Cosmere-aware.  They might have been off-world.  Might have.  [Emphasizing the uncertainty here.  He clearly has not 100% made up his mind on that last point.  Also, dragons.  Plural.]

Also:

Q: You've said that in the "back 5," there will be at least one book with Heralds as viewpoint characters, with flashbacks?

A: Two.

Q: Well, you've gotta have a scene at one point like this.  Jezrien and Shallash are flying somewhere, but along the way, they get accosted by the Heavenly Ones.  Big chaotic fight ensues.  They get separated.  Eventually her Stormlight runs out...

...and Ash falls from the sky.

A: *gro~oan*

Q: *cackling at his reaction*

21 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Turns out there was a recorder yesterday. @MangoMongo, you may wanna head over and take a listen to your audio; there was a bit of background noise, so you may be able to make out some parts that were difficult to hear.

WoBs are going to be coming up here as they get transcribed: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/475-fanx-2021/

Anyone who wants to help transcribe, you can keep up to date with all new audio as it gets added here: https://wob.coppermind.net/todo/

Sweet! I don't know how I missed it but Oh well,  haha. I'm very glad there was a recording though!

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

OK, I found and removed the offending spoiler, cleaned up the audio quality a bit (it's still pretty noisy but it's better than what I started with!) and uploaded it to Arcanum.

Again, I won't be able to provide a recorder today.  Hopefully there are fans in the area who can drop one off!

Awesome! Thanks for doing a recording! 

And dang, I freaking love that Ash joke! you're my hero

Hopefully someone was able to do it today. I was o ly able to attend Thursday. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, Pagerunner said:

Here's the Arcanum event for this year's FanX. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/475-fanx-2021/

Anyone who gets audio can upload it there, anyone who gets WoBs can add them directly to the event, and if anyone sees any reports on Reddit you can feel free to add them to the event as well (or tag me in the comments, u/Pagerunner17, and I'll make sure it gets in).

I'm so glad someone recorded my question as it was being asked! haha. It's so much more accurate than my recollection!But I guess it still covers the same points, so my recollection wasn't horrible, haha. I'm stoked to finally be listed on in the WOB archive though! I'm geeking out!

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:

Does anyone who attended FanX have a signed intentionally blank card that they would potentially be willing to sell to me? If so send me a DM, because those things are awesome. (I swear I'm not going to try to scam you, if anybody is willing, we can agree on a price you think is fair.)

Wrong FanX :P