Which shards will help Roshar?

apepi

Just now, mathiau said:

Did you find a Shard with an intent tangentially related to surviving?

Well one Shard was only able to be contacted once, seems pretty intrested on hiding.

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

No reaction to my claim there are three Shard influencing Scadrial?

Forgot about that when I was actually making the post

Just now, Frustration said:

Well one Shard was only able to be contacted once, seems pretty intrested on hiding.

Yes but is his Intent tangentially related to hiding?

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Forgot about that when I was actually making the post

So, there are five unkown metals in the steel alphabet, the ones associated to the letter J, C, H and X/Sh as well as the one associated to the number 0. These metal can't really be anything else than godmetal and the J symbol is similar enough to the C one to be its alloy, same for H and X/Sh so I think these should be the godmetal of two Shards and a relevant alloy of this metal, like Malatium is too Atium.

This mean we have two Shards influencing Scadrial enough to create godmetals, neither can be Trell since Harmony had never saw Trellium before SoS and he should be aware these missing metals.

The fifth metal's symbol somehow disappeared and came back during TLR's rule and it's symbol is just a spike, if the lost metal is not atium it's probably that one.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, mathiau said:

Yes but is his Intent tangentially related to hiding?

Is Mercy tengentially related to fighting? Is hatred related to questions? Ruin is destruction not just entropy. Intent doesn't have anything to do with it, a vessel serves just as well.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, mathiau said:

So, there are five unkown metals in the steel alphabet, the ones associated to the letter J, C, H and X/Sh as well as the one associated to the number 0. These metal can't really be anything else than godmetal and the J symbol is similar enough to the C one to be its alloy, same for H and X/Sh so I think these should be the godmetal of two Shards and a relevant alloy of this metal, like Malatium is too Atium.

This mean we have two Shards influencing Scadrial enough to create godmetals, neither can be Trell since Harmony had never saw Trellium before SoS and he should be aware these missing metals.

The fifth metal's symbol somehow disappeared and came back during TLR's rule and it's symbol is just a spike, if the lost metal is not atium it's probably that one.

There have been multiple shards influencing Scadrial in the past, Trell included, but they aren't there at the present time.

Edited by Frustration

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

Is Mercy tengentially related to fighting? Is hatred related to questions? Ruin is destruction not just entropy. Intent doesn't have anything to do with it, a vessel serves just as well.

That's not what I'm talking about

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.

Bands of Mourning release party (Jan. 25, 2016)

There m=have been multiple shards influencing Scadrial in the past, Trell included, but they aren't there at the present time.

I had somehow missed that possibility

12 hours ago, mathiau said:

I fail to see how someone taking up the Dor would change AonDor, from recent WoBs it's likely it already existed before the Splintering, if less affected by topographic changes

I wasn't talking about AonDor, but about the Shards Dominion and Devotion. I doubt they have been restored if the Dor - which is basically the Shards' powers thrown into the Cognitive Realm - is still a thing. So they wouldn't come to help since they are presumably still Splintered.

Just now, Elegy said:

I wasn't talking about AonDor, but about the Shards Dominion and Devotion. I doubt they have been restored if the Dor - which is basically the Shards' powers thrown into the Cognitive Realm - is still a thing. So they wouldn't come to help since they are presumably still Splintered.

I had misunderstood you. Yes if as Khriss say most of the power of D&D is still in the CR no one should have taken up the Dor (note that the Dor would probably technically still exists if someone were to unsplinter D&D as it would probably create a fused Shard similar to Harmony that people would still call the Dor)

4 hours ago, mathiau said:

I had misunderstood you. Yes if as Khriss say most of the power of D&D is still in the CR no one should have taken up the Dor (note that the Dor would probably technically still exists if someone were to unsplinter D&D as it would probably create a fused Shard similar to Harmony that people would still call the Dor)

You have made me wonder what would a combined D&d would be.. Best thing I could think is Allegiance. It fits, but I would love a D word.

But I digress, I wonder how Sanderson will show the difference of Honor and Valor, they seem similar to me.

• 2 weeks later...

If the Cosmere Bat-Signal ever does go up, besides Sazed, Valor certainly seems by far the most obvious candidate based off her seemingly positive relationship with Hoid, her willingness to consider direct action against Odium, and the relatively positive connotation of her shard, but the fact that we know literally nothing about her world or circumstances is a problem here. Ultimately, I wouldn't be that surprised if nobody besides Sazed ends up pitching in on the side of the good guys in Stormlight Arc 2. I'd be more convinced that Valor might show up if we got a novel featuring her world at some point.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:54 AM, apepi said:

You have made me wonder what would a combined D&d would be.. Best thing I could think is Allegiance. It fits, but I would love a D word.

But I digress, I wonder how Sanderson will show the difference of Honor and Valor, they seem similar to me.

To borrow an example from Magic the Gathering, I view the idea of Honor vs Valor as similar to Azorius vs Boros in that setting. i.e. Honor is much more focused on structure and precedent, while Valor is much more immediate and individualistic, placing more of an emphasis on action with less or no regard for consequences. There are some similarities in that the names of both Shards provide broadly positive connotations, and in that honorable individuals are quite often valorous (and vice versa), but I do think there are a lot of differences to work with if you dig into it.

9 hours ago, TheTuninator said:

If the Cosmere Bat-Signal ever does go up, besides Sazed, Valor certainly seems by far the most obvious candidate based off her seemingly positive relationship with Hoid, her willingness to consider direct action against Odium, and the relatively positive connotation of her shard, but the fact that we know literally nothing about her world or circumstances is a problem here. Ultimately, I wouldn't be that surprised if nobody besides Sazed ends up pitching in on the side of the good guys in Stormlight Arc 2. I'd be more convinced that Valor might show up if we got a novel featuring her world at some point.

I'm honestly slightly worried by the fact Valour seems to want to see Hoid more than he wants to see her

On 20/05/2021 at 5:54 PM, apepi said:

You're probably focussing on Windrunners too much, Skybreakers are not really aligned with Valour while Kelsier is more aligned with Valour than Honour

• 2 weeks later...
On 8.5.2021 at 2:18 AM, apepi said:

Which shards do yall think will help Roshar?

None. They are playing for time.

On 8.5.2021 at 2:18 AM, apepi said:

Hoid/Sazed has been putting out a lot of requests for shards to come help deal with Odium, who do you think will help?

Endowment, Valor, Invention. But they will deal with Odium, not help Roshar. Their strategy seems to be to weaken Odium as far as possible by spending the Rosharans as ammunition. And given what happened to Rayse, that plan must be deemed to work.

I imagine most Shards would not be that urgently focused on dealing with Odium just yet. 

There's just been a conflict that's seen him bound to a fixed location for half of his existence, forced him to invest himself and splinter parts of himself into the Unmade, Fused and Everstorm, and then his rogue vessel was devoured and replaced. Meanwhile the casualties at his hand seem to have required assistance and are either someone who may have similarly been seen as a threat (Ambition), or Shards that are believed to have broken agreements (Devotion, Dominion, Honor). If you were an infinite being who doesn't give a storm about other planets and people, then Odium might not seem that pressing.