[Theory] Radiant is Mirroring Chanarach

teknopathetic

I am growing more and more suspicious that Chana is connected to the Devar family. Here is another possible hint.

Radiant gets a description in RoW:

“She [Radiant] had chosen to wear her vakama; the traditional Vaden’s warrior clothing. It was similar to the Alethi takama but the skirt was pleeted instead of straight. She wore a loose matching coat with a tight vest and shirt beneath. The bright clothing features vibrant blues embroidered over reds with gold woven between and it had trim on the skirt”

So here is Chana. Look like anyone we know? 

1F08D901-B818-4545-B010-5018548ED403.jpeg

Edited by teknopathetic

9 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

I am growing more and more suspicious that Chana is connected to the Devar family.

You've been saying this for a while now.  I'm not convinced, but if it DOES turn out to be true, you will be entitled to one ENORMOUS "told you so".  ;)

Is Radiant letting her hair be red these days?  I recall her being blonde.

3 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

You've been saying this for a while now.  I'm not convinced, but if it DOES turn out to be true, you will be entitled to one ENORMOUS "told you so".  ;)

Is Radiant letting her hair be red these days?  I recall her being blonde.

Her hair is blonde, but Shallan intentionally wants different hair colours for each persona. If/When Radiant integrates, the hair colour won’t matter  

And yes, this theory is my baby. I just finished rereading the the first three books looking for more clues and am on to RoW now :) 

I have some more evidence, but this was the only one I considered posting. 

Edited by teknopathetic

I believe the first conscious lightweaving disguise we see Shallan employ is when she commandeers Vatha's deserters in Ch 20 WoR. This disguise certainly seems like a proto-Raidant image to me. Shallan uses the same "makeup" at her big entrance at the meeting of Alethi highprinces, so actually this is the way basically everybody in SA except 1) Jasnah and 2)Kaladin "boots" Stormblessed has first met Shallan.

Spoiler

The woman she glimsed in one breastplate looked tall, too stately, to be Shallan herself. Instead of tangled hair, she had flowing red locks. Instead of reugee rags, she wore a gown woven with golden embroidery. She had not been wearing a necklace before, and when she raised her hand her chipped fingernails appeared perfeectly manicured.

NB "in one breastplate" above refers to as seen in the reflection of a deserter's breastplate - though it is certainly evocative!

Rather than clothes/bearing, the principal thing both Vatha and and Sebarial super rudely remark on after Shallan drops the lightweaving is that the Shallan they first saw looked significantly older instead of "a child."

I've always read this first lightweaving as modeled on Jasnah, but in these threads I see similiarites with how Shallan's mom appears at the end of WoR and with Radiant.

After reading this and doing some investigating I think that Shallan's mom is Chanarach. If you look at the picture of  Chanarach and read the description of Shallan's mom they are very similar. Also, I had a theory that the breaking of Chanarach (after her death as Shallan's mom), not Taln, is what brought about this last desolation. Brandon is often quoted as saying that the desolation process started going down once Gavilar died so I looked up the dates of Gavilar's death and Shallan's mom's death. THEY WERE THE EXACT SAME MONTH.

Edited by CROSSENuUP

22 hours ago, CROSSENuUP said:

After reading this and doing some investigating I think that Shallan's mom is Chanarach. If you look at the picture of  Chanarach and read the description of Shallan's mom they are very similar. Also, I had a theory that the breaking of Chanarach (after her death as Shallan's mom), not Taln, is what brought about this last desolation. Brandon is often quoted as saying that the desolation process started going down once Gavilar died so I looked up the dates of Gavilar's death and Shallan's mom's death. THEY WERE THE EXACT SAME MONTH.

So you're saying Shallan killed Chana, who was then yoinked back to Braize by the more-active-than-the-Heralds-would-like Oathpact, almost instantly broke, and triggered the Last Desolation? That is a really brilliant idea, would explain a lot.

15 hours ago, KSub said:

Since the Heralds seem to have been twisted to the opposite of what they stand for and Chanas first attribute is brave it kind of makes sense that she would immediately crack.

Chana is brave and obedient, which really reminds me of the mental illness/magic illness Lin Davar suffered from. He demanded his kids be insanely obedient and servile. I wonder if there is a connection. 

Edited by teknopathetic

if chana is shallans mom then i have to ask, are the eyes in the picture green, because shallans moms eyes were bright green and i can't tell because i'm slightly red-green colorblind, if so, then it's incredibly possible, but if not, then it's much less likely, because they would have to specifically change their eye color, which i don't think they can do. if a dustbringers eyes turn green when they summon their blade (i don't know if they do, just thinking) then a heralds eyes might also change to the color of their radiant order.

1 hour ago, Shob the Voidbringer said:

if chana is shallans mom then i have to ask, are the eyes in the picture green, because shallans moms eyes were bright green and i can't tell because i'm slightly red-green colorblind, if so, then it's incredibly possible, but if not, then it's much less likely, because they would have to specifically change their eye color, which i don't think they can do. if a dustbringers eyes turn green when they summon their blade (i don't know if they do, just thinking) then a heralds eyes might also change to the color of their radiant order.

I looked at the portrait and one eye appears to be brown and the other blue. It's really hard to tell though.

That being said I think it's a mistake going down that rabbit hole because the portraits are supposed to be in world. So it's entirely possible that they are wrong.

32 minutes ago, KSub said:

I looked at the portrait and one eye appears to be brown and the other blue. It's really hard to tell though.

That being said I think it's a mistake going down that rabbit hole because the portraits are supposed to be in world. So it's entirely possible that they are wrong.

Brandon and his team have also gotten eye colour wrong with his own character descriptions before as well (it is hard to track 100%)

• 1 year later...

I kind of assumed this was cannon. Shallan almost definitely modeled Radiant after Her mother who is also almost definitely a Herald. I imagine The truth her mom is a herald may end up being her 5th ideal, if the one about testament wasn't already. and it would help make sense integrating Radiant like she did Veil.