D&D with Null

Negative_Null

Once inside the tavern, Vito took a seat in the corner and put his hood over his head. He covered any parts of his skin with his cloak and over the course of six seconds, his skin faded to pure white and he morphed into Lander Hornraven. He removes the cloak and decides to wait a bit to not be suspicious.

Rolled a 12 with a +5 modifier so 17 in total for stealth.

Also,  if you think this is slow, wait for combat

20 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

On a 21, you can tell he's not trying to trick you, at the very least. He's earnest.

He nods. "Of course." He gets you a drink and pockets the money. He goes to get you some change, but looks at you expectantly.

She holds up her hand to forestall the change, and gives him a nod. (It's clearly meant to be a reassuring nod, but with a 7 charisma it just comes off as sightly strained.) 

Taking her drink, she grabs a seat in a corner of the room, where she can keep an eye on things. It's not far from "Lander", actually. She doesn't roll high enough on perception to notice the transformation (12 total) but she's trying to pay attention to everyone in the room. You'd probably notice her watching you, @Chasmgoat

Edited by Rushu42

6 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

Once inside the tavern, Vito took a seat in the corner and put his hood over his head. He covered any parts of his skin with his cloak and over the course of six seconds, his skin faded to pure white and he morphed into Lander Hornraven. He removes the cloak and decides to wait a bit to not be suspicious.

Rolled a 12 with a +5 modifier so 17 in total for stealth.

I gape open mouthed. While it does make sense, it wasn't what I had expected. I turn around, and quickly head back to where he asked me to stay.

I rolled a 17. I got 23 in total for stealth.

22 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

"Well... it wasn't that interesting. It drained the life energy of whoever held it. Maybe it has some kind of beneficial effect, but we didn't test it long enough to find out."

"I mean, of course there is a beneficial effect. Why would anyone create a sword that is only detrimental to the wielder?"

Edited by AmazingGoob

On 1/30/2021 at 9:02 PM, AmazingGoob said:

"I mean, of course there is a beneficial effect. Why would anyone create a sword that is only detrimental to the wielder?"

"Like I said, we didn't give it much testing. If you'd like that for your payment, we'll let you test it before your final decision, of course."

Null, very sorry about my character... He is a bit erratic

On 1/30/2021 at 1:49 PM, Rushu42 said:

She holds up her hand to forestall the change, and gives him a nod. (It's clearly meant to be a reassuring nod, but with a 7 charisma it just comes off as sightly strained.) 

Taking her drink, she grabs a seat in a corner of the room, where she can keep an eye on things. It's not far from "Lander", actually. She doesn't roll high enough on perception to notice the transformation (12 total) but she's trying to pay attention to everyone in the room. You'd probably notice her watching you, @Chasmgoat

Got a soft 20 on perception, I think google dice really likes me. Maybe I should switch to a different dice simulation...

Lander, formerly Vito, sees a young female dwarf watching him. Hopefully, she didn't see him change. He thought he covered it well enough. He tries to see what other people in the tavern are doing.

I got a 19 on perception... It probably looks like I am cheating... I am not.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:43 PM, Negative_Null said:

"Like I said, we didn't give it much testing. If you'd like that for your payment, we'll let you test it before your final decision, of course."

"Excellent. Thank you- however, when are we expected to go inspect the issue?"

On 2/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, Negative_Null said:

The room is subdued, with many people finishing up their meals and drinks, even though it's still early. The source of the unease is the rangers, who everyone is pointedly ignoring.

Lander decides to wait a few minutes to return, to help his illusion of getting Lander. He sees the rangers and gets up and walks over to talk to them.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:10 AM, Rushu42 said:

I'd like to make an Insight check to see if Kodwola picks up on anything strange about Lander (enough to go talk to him, for example). I got a 17.

@Negative_Null @Chasmgoat

@Chasmgoat Make a deception check. Already she's noticed something's a little off about you, but she can't put her finger on what.

8 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Excellent. Thank you- however, when are we expected to go inspect the issue?"

"Tomorrow would be my preference. But tonight, we drink, sleep, and recoup."

8 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

Lander decides to wait a few minutes to return, to help his illusion of getting Lander. He sees the rangers and gets up and walks over to talk to them.

"Ah, yet another new adventurer. Who are you?"

I don't think  they've met, correct him if I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

@Chasmgoat Make a deception check. Already she's noticed something's a little off about you, but she can't put her finger on what.

"Tomorrow would be my preference. But tonight, we drink, sleep, and recoup."

"Ah, yet another new adventurer. Who are you?"

I believe they met very, very briefly as Lander was leaving the tavern the first time.

23 on deception

"I believe we have met, but briefly. I am Lander Hornraven." Lander flashes his signet ring with a smile

3 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

23 on deception

"I believe we have met, but briefly. I am Lander Hornraven." Lander flashes his signet ring with a smile

"Good to meet you, Lord Hornraven. I was just telling my friend here about a little adventuring we need some help with."

21 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

"Ah, and does it have to do with the bandits nearby?"

Current theory: the rangers are the bandits!

(Ok, I don't know - I just don't have anything to post with Wola right now so I'm having fun watching the rest play out)

On 2/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Chasmgoat said:

"Ah, and does it have to do with the bandits nearby?"

"Well, we need to chase those out too, but we shouldn't need your help with that. We want to investigate some strange occurrences."

2 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"Ah. Very well. That should be all, unless you want to inform me of something?"

"No, that's all. Thank you so much." It's hard to believe Eben is lying to you with that charming smile, but you know he is.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, Negative_Null said:

"Well, we need to chase those out too, but we shouldn't need your help with that. We want to investigate some strange occurrences."

"No, that's all. Thank you so much." It's hard to believe Eben is lying to you with that charming smile, but you know he is.

@Rushu42
"Excellent. I will see you tomorrow." He then walks over to Wola and sits down.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:35 PM, Negative_Null said:

Well, we need to chase those out too, but we shouldn't need your help with that. We want to investigate some strange occurrences

Lander frowns, "Does it have something to do with... nevermind that. What do you mean, strange occurrences?"

10 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

@Rushu42
"Excellent. I will see you tomorrow." He then walks over to Wola and sits down.

"Ah, greetings again, Mr. Usavi," Wola says, still watching the Rangers. "I fear that subtlety does not fall within my bailiwick, unfortunately - so you have likely picked up on my feelings, yes? I do not believe that those two individuals have good intentions toward this town, and I intend to discover exactly what their objectives are."

23 hours ago, Chasmgoat said:

Lander frowns, "Does it have something to do with... nevermind that. What do you mean, strange occurrences?"

"Oh the usual. Monsters appearing where they shouldn't be, unseasonable cold and frost, some localized earthquakes. Something strange is going on. Why, would you know of something?"

I know this won't do anything, but roll deception

6 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

"Oh the usual. Monsters appearing where they shouldn't be, unseasonable cold and frost, some localized earthquakes. Something strange is going on. Why, would you know of something?"

I know this won't do anything, but roll deception

19 in deception

"I... Don't think I know of anything. Tell me, do you happen to know much about the world?"

14 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"Ah, greetings again, Mr. Usavi," Wola says, still watching the Rangers. "I fear that subtlety does not fall within my bailiwick, unfortunately - so you have likely picked up on my feelings, yes? I do not believe that those two individuals have good intentions toward this town, and I intend to discover exactly what their objectives are."

"I would let them mind their own business- they are giving us work after all."