Hoid and bacon

Hoid the Former Drifter

Question

6 answers to this question

Yeah, Hoid wasn't born with whatever has left him immortal and unable to harm others, so he had some unknown amount of time to enjoy bacon before being deprived of his ability to eat it.

One wonders if a properly skilled Lightweaver or Elsecaller could accurately Soulcast bacon without having to kill an animal for its meat and if that would allow Hoid to eat it; someone asked but aside from a comment that there's a Cognitive aspect to it we didn't really get an answer.

Maybe he can communicate with the pig, and convince it that it is for the greater good. I think that as long as he doesn't use Investiture, like emotional allomancy, it wouldn't count as him hurting it if the pig chose to run and jump off a cliff so that he could eat bacon.

6 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

Maybe he can communicate with the pig, and convince it that it is for the greater good. I think that as long as he doesn't use Investiture, like emotional allomancy, it wouldn't count as him hurting it if the pig chose to run and jump off a cliff so that he could eat bacon.

I mean, he's allowed to mentally injure people or cause harm through inaction but even thinking about causing physical trauma will make him nauseous. I don't think convincing a pig to jump off a cliff is gonna get around it because he'd have to contemplate essentially convincing a living thing to commit suicide.

Plus, he clearly isn't the one killing and preparing the food at various feasts we see him at so it's not just a block on killing the animal himself but other people killing animals for meat that triggers whatever his prohibition is. Unless we get a firm answer about a Radiant able to Soulcast bacon, Hoid's best bet is probably for somewhere in the Cosmere to have soybeans or similar that can be made into a passable bacon substitute.

Randomly, Barbossa's whole thing with apples in Pirates of the Caribbean just popped into my head. I find myself wondering if in MB4 Hoid will find some way to eat bacon again at the cost of his immortality and decide: Worth it.

Edited by Ookla the Crimson King

45 minutes ago, Ookla the Crimson King said:

Randomly, Barbossa's whole thing with apples in Pirates of the Caribbean just popped into my head. I find myself wondering if in MB4 Hoid will find some way to eat bacon again at the cost of his immortality and decide: Worth it.

If I was an immortal world hopper, with power from various Gods, knowing almost everything, but eating bacon was the cost of my immortality, I would pay the price.

On 14/12/2020 at 0:29 PM, Ookla the Crimson King said:

I mean, he's allowed to mentally injure people or cause harm through inaction but even thinking about causing physical trauma will make him nauseous. I don't think convincing a pig to jump off a cliff is gonna get around it because he'd have to contemplate essentially convincing a living thing to commit suicide.

Plus, he clearly isn't the one killing and preparing the food at various feasts we see him at so it's not just a block on killing the animal himself but other people killing animals for meat that triggers whatever his prohibition is. Unless we get a firm answer about a Radiant able to Soulcast bacon, Hoid's best bet is probably for somewhere in the Cosmere to have soybeans or similar that can be made into a passable bacon substitute.

So can Hoid eat roadkill? (Or it's Rosharan equivalent... a hog that got out into a highstorm and was freshly crushed by a boulder?)