Hello

Mikeztarp

Welcome to the Shard Mike! Delighted to have you come join us here if you've bee na wiki user for years! You're perfect for us :D

That sounds absolutely awesome! I agree with Bearer I can't wait to see that! Not to give away any trade secrets but is it difficult to do or reasonable once you get the hang of it? Look forward to seeing you around!

You folks are so welcoming, I love it!

My favorite Sanderson book is Oathbringer, and my favorite character Wayne.

The transcription is quite easy if you use the work someone else did to figure out what each symbol represents :D (I don't know who did this, but bravo!). I think you could learn to read it fluently in a few days. It's a simple letter replacement and the words are English (although I wonder if that's true for other versions of the book). It's not totally consistent though; sometimes it follows English spelling and sometimes it does a phonetic approximation (for example, u does the job of u and w).

Welcome to the Shard! 

22 hours ago, Mikeztarp said:

Hi everyone. I've been using the wiki for years, and just made an account to share transcriptions I'm doing of Alethi script in RoW's art as I go through the book.

Welcome to the Shard! And we look forward to it!

21 hours ago, Mikeztarp said:

You folks are so welcoming, I love it!

My favorite Sanderson book is Oathbringer, and my favorite character Wayne.

The transcription is quite easy if you use the work someone else did to figure out what each symbol represents :D (I don't know who did this, but bravo!). I think you could learn to read it fluently in a few days. It's a simple letter replacement and the words are English (although I wonder if that's true for other versions of the book). It's not totally consistent though; sometimes it follows English spelling and sometimes it does a phonetic approximation (for example, u does the job of u and w).

I believe that was Harakeke

Edited by Honorless

On 11/18/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mikeztarp said:

Oh no way that actually sounds really cool! Man yeah thanks to Harakeke for getting that started but once you have it yeah wouldn't be too hard to go form there. Still though getting that down solid would take some time nicely done! :D That's also super interesting on whether it is the same for other version you are totally right.

On one side I could totally see yes they changed it because they changed the book but at the same time those are likely just done as image renders and they might just copy the same for simplicity. And dang see that is where the skill comes in! It's keeping you on your toes having to switch between them :P Welcome again!

Yes, we owe great thanks to Harakeke, cris34b, KalynaAnne, jofwu, and probably others I don't know about. The wiki article Women's script even lists some fan-made fonts. :)

I'll see if I can find a French edition of one of the books, will keep you apprised (I'm French).

Edit: I found a French version of Words of Radiance ("Le Livre des Radieux" ^^) and leafed through. The English text in the art has been translated into French, but the Alethi script hasn't been changed.

Edited by Mikeztarp

That is so cool that there are even some fan made fonts off of it! Oh and yeah that would be perfect to check the French version!

Interesting find, does the title still translate to the same? A little while back in an intro someone was mentioning that the titles for their translation didn't even match which was super interesting. That seems like it does though right?

And huh, cool stuff! So I guess it does make some sense to translate the English and leave the Alethi. It's treating it as a literal language component even if to decipher it you need to use English. Well that's really cool to know best of luck in your translations! :D