Thaidakar

the_archduke

10 hours ago, Blightsong said:

If they were originally from off world I would have expected more hints towards that fact. Hints that casual readers would pick up on. Just like when he foreshadowed pretty heavily right away that whatever is influencing the Set is foreign to Scadrial.

Other worlds' existence and inter-world travel were only confirmed at the end of OB for casual readers. There were strong hints previously - all the details that pointed at humans and their animals being foreign to Roshar, Ym's interlude in WoR, the stuff Azure and Riino said in Shadesmar in OB, a lot of insinuations from Hoid, etc. Now that a cat is out of the sack on that, if a casual reader re-reads, they'd be able to see hints in Shallan's interactions with the Ghostbloods, IMHO. Sanderson couldn't hint more explicitely previously since he didn't want to spoil the big revelation of humans having come to Roshar from somewhere else for the general audience.

The situation on Scadrial is similar because

Spoiler

Off-world meddling only became significant in the narrative in the 5th book of the overall Scadrial sequence and there weren't many hints of cosmere  interconnectedness prior to that. Less than in early volumes of SA, actually. Also, the Set and their mysterious backer are the main antagonists in the 2nd Mistborn trilogy, whereas the Ghostbloods are just a complication in SA.

I don't think that  the old WoBs about "Easter Eggs" are relevant anymore - and they always oddly clashed with Sanderson's assertion that "Warbreaker" was written as a "prequel" to SA. A prequel is normally supposed to have more connection to the main series than a few fan-servicy crumbs thrown to the rabid fans. I do think that any important otherworldly interference will be sufficiently explained in SA itself, so that a casual reader won't need to read the respective books/series to understand what's going on, while the cosmere-aware will be able to guess what's coming a step ahead of them and enjoy privileged insight. 

I think they stay "easter eggs" in that you don't have to read the other series before reading this one, or vice versa.

Someone who picks up the Stormlight Archive and reads it in order (WoK -> WoR -> O -> RoW -> KoW) without ever reading Mistborn is still going to get an awesome series, and won't be left thinking "huh, I didn't get that plot, must be because I haven't read something else". Or vice versa, you can read Mistborn Era 1 and then Mistborn Era 2 and never touch Stormlight and still get it. And even Warbreaker is like that! You can read Stormlight without ever reading Warbreaker and vice versa, and the books still work fine.

Even with these connections we're getting here, that stays completely true. You can read Stormlight Archive and everything you need to know to understand that story is in these books. If stuff about off-world happenings becomes important in SA, it'll be introduced in SA. (And that's what's happening here! It becomes relevant that the Ghostbloods are Cosmere-aware, so the readers get introduced to the other planets.)

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:04 AM, the_archduke said:

Circled several times on one page at the end of the list was the word “Thaidakar” with the note, He leads them. But who is he? The name seems a title, much like Mraize. But neither are in a language I know.

Thaidakar is a title in a language Ialai did not know.  With the same notes saying "Nalathis. Scadarial. Tal Dain."  As places that Ialai couldn't place.  What if Thaidakar is Scadrian for "Sovereign"?  Could Thaidakar be Kelsier?

Called it

On 9/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, Rainier said:

I'm starting to think it was an unmitigated mistake to have Kelsier clinging on.

No, Thaidakar is not Kelsier. He can be his own mysterious figure without shoehorning him into whichever other books we want. If he is someone we know from elsewhere, my bet is going to be Yesteel. There are a couple of reasons why I expect to hear from Yesteel again in Stormlight, but no particular reason why he would be Thaidakar, or a Ghostblood.

However, we know Vasher and Vivenna are both on Roshar. We don't know how much time has passed since the Pahn Kahl rebellion, but we do know that Yesteel opposes Vasher, we know Vivenna is hunting Vasher and has an Awakened blade (Mk.II). We know Yesteel knows how to Awaken metal. I think Vivenna sought out and learned form Yesteel when Vasher refused to teach her, which is how she created her own blade.

Once again, absolutely no reason to think Yesteel is Thaidakar, but we know at least two other people form Naltis are on Roshar, and they're the two people who might have some beef with him, so it's at least plausible.

Oof. Well, that didn't age well.

Sanderson has been stressing pretty heavily that cognitive shadows who are around for too long become completely driven by their core ideal, which in Kelsier's case is clearly 'survive'. So, if we're looking for the motive of the Ghostbloods - which Brandon said we were close to figuring out - I'd wager that's it?

So that's an interesting angle through which to look at everything the Ghostbloods have done so far. We know they were trying to find Urithiru (and stop Jasnah from finding it first), stop Gavilar from returning the Listener gods, and find and get information from the Heralds. They seem to deal in knowledge? So it seems like they're trying to become as Cosmere-aware as possible, in order to... what? Stop Odium from taking over the Cosmere? Just... live forever? There's always another secret.

1 hour ago, mingyuan said:

Sanderson has been stressing pretty heavily that cognitive shadows who are around for too long become completely driven by their core ideal, which in Kelsier's case is clearly 'survive'. So, if we're looking for the motive of the Ghostbloods - which Brandon said we were close to figuring out - I'd wager that's it?

So that's an interesting angle through which to look at everything the Ghostbloods have done so far. We know they were trying to find Urithiru (and stop Jasnah from finding it first), stop Gavilar from returning the Listener gods, and find and get information from the Heralds. They seem to deal in knowledge? So it seems like they're trying to become as Cosmere-aware as possible, in order to... what? Stop Odium from taking over the Cosmere? Just... live forever? There's always another secret.

Kell may be too young a Shadow for that; it took the Heralds awhile to start going mad and Vasher hasn’t been fully subsumed by his Intent. Kell is actually the youngest intelligent CS we’ve seen. I think he’s trying to find a way around that problem before it becomes one.

There’s also some influence of the mind on Intent. Kell seems to consider Scadrial as part of his Intent, which is important.

However, Kell was twice Commanded. So his Intent may be stronger than that of other shadows.

I just wanted to say...

In RoW, Hoid describes Thaidakar as

Spoiler

"The Lord of Scars"

Spoiler

Who is famous for their scars and is known to be a bit vain, leading them to have a title like THAT?

Spoiler

Kelsier.

16 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

I think a big problem is that there are two entirely different mythologies surrounding him, which is probably being funky with his cognitive aspect

Go look through my posts; I’ve brought it up. I think he’s still too young to be losing himself, but that he can feel the difference when he switches between sides of the planet and feels disoriented during the transition. So he’s very aware of the issue and it’s fueling his desperation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27.11.2020 at 11:55 PM, Guest said:

I just wanted to say...

Reveal hidden contents

"The Lord of Scars"

Reveal hidden contents

Who is famous for their scars and is known to be a bit vain, leading them to have a title like THAT?

Reveal hidden contents

Kelsier.

Could yo tell me which chapter that is, please? I kept skimming through RoW but I can't find it right now.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:55 PM, Guest said:

I just wanted to say...

Hide contents

"The Lord of Scars"

Hide contents

Hide contents

Kelsier.

Hoid also threats to slap him around again, and there's really only one person that we know of that Hoid has slapped around.