Just for Fun: Mistborn Disney Playlist

MasterGhandalf

This is just something fun I thought I'd throw together, but I thought people might find it interesting (or amusing). I was thinking about songs that I think fit well with various Cosmere works, and since a lot of them fit with Mistborn, I thought I'd do a brief writeup focusing on songs most people have probably heard of - namely, Disney movie songs:). For this list, I'l go through each song, roughly in the order I think they fit in the books, and provide a link and a brief blurb as to why I chose them. A couple of notes - one, this is mostly going to be for Final Empire and a few for Well of Ascension for various reasons, but mostly because they were my first two Brandon books and I found them easiest to make connections for. For another, I'm including some songs from The Prince of Egypt as well, even though that one's not technically Disney, because a)., it's the same style of animated musical extravaganza, b)., most of the songs fit too well with Scadrial and the Final Empire to ignore, and c)., Prince of Egypt is awesome anyway, and so is its music. With that out of the way, away we go! 

Final Empire

Deliver Us” – Prince of Egypt

A perfect scene-setting for Scadrial under the Lord Ruler's dominion. 

Strangers Like Me” - Tarzan

Vin is introduced to and intrigued by Kelsier and his crew. 

Through Heaven’s Eyes” – Prince of Egypt

Sazed teaches Vin and helps her find her confidence and her place in the world. 

Make a Man out of You” – Mulan

Or make an allomancer out of you, rather:). Kelsier trains Vin in the use of her powers. 

Let it Go” – Frozen

Vin, gaining confidence, begins to open up and take pride and joy in her abilities. 

Part of Your World” and “Part of Your World Reprise” – The Little Mermaid

Attending her first balls, Vin becomes increasingly fascinated with the world of the nobility, and with Elend. 

Playing with the Big Boys” – Prince of Egypt

Vin and Kelsier fight the Inquisitors at Kredik Shaw, barely escaping with their lives. 

Reflection” – Mulan

Caught between her dual life as Vin the mistborn and Valette the noblewoman, Vin questions her identity. 

All I Ever Wanted” – Prince of Egypt

Elend becomes increasingly dissatisfied with the state of the Final Empire and realizes that he is on a different path from what his father expects of him. 

God Help the Outcasts” – Hunchback of Notre Dame

Vin and Kelsier visit the skaa tenements. 

He Lives in You” – Lion King II

The anthem of the fledgling Church of the Survivor after Kelsier's martyrdom. 

When You Believe” – Prince of Egypt

The rebellion triumphs after Vin kills the Lord Ruler. 

Well of Ascension

"Into the Unknown" - Frozen II

Vin becomes increasingly preoccupied with the call of the Well. 

Be Prepared” – Lion King

A paean to Straff's ambitions to seize control of Luthadel and become a new emperor. Also a better song than Straff (my personal most hated Cosmere character) deserves, but hey, it fits.

Hellfire” – Hunchback of Notre Dame

Zane's destructive obsession with Vin grows. 

"Not One of Us" - Lion King II

After the attempted assassination and her assault on Cett's keep, Vin fears the crew - and Elend - will reject her. 

"Love Will Find a Way" - Lion King II

Vin and Elend reconcile after Zane dies and are married. 

"Savages” – Pocahontas

The battle for Luthadel, culminating in Vin's return. 

That's what I have. Anyone else have thoughts? Or ideas for Hero of Ages or Era 2? 

Edited by MasterGhandalf

Well, it's not Mistborn specifically but if we're thinking 'Disney does the Cosmere' the first thing that immediately came to mind is that if Hoid isn't singing his take on Aladdin's Friend Like Me at some point, they're doing it wrong. It could even be a recurring thing across all his major appearances, where his name isn't revealed until the song plays and that serves as your clue that yes, this is Hoid.

I've got a ton of songs that sprang to mind for non-Mistborn uses but I don't want to go into those here in any detail so onto the ones I've come up with for just this franchise:

- Go The Distance from Hercules would be a good fit for Wax as he's trying to find where he belongs upon his return to Elendel.

- Fixer-Upper from Frozen could go any number of places in the Cosmere, but probably the best way to make it work in Mistborn would be Wayne singing it about Wax during the first meeting with Steris and Marasi. Obviously Wayne was trying to set up Wax with Marasi in the book but it still works.

- On just about any of Wayne's chapters across Era 2 where he goes 'trading' things, cue Aladdin's One Jump Ahead.

- I seem to be on an Aladdin kick (hey, it has a lot of great songs) so let's keep going. When Wax uses allomancy to bypass the line at ZoBell Tower in Shadows of Self, it would be a great time to cue up a duet of Whole New World with Steris.

- Going way back to The Final Empire, a lighter and softer version of World's Greatest Criminal Mind from The Great Mouse Detective would be a good intro song for Kelsier.

- I'm having trouble figuring out a lot of good Hero of Ages songs. A rearrangement of Jack's Lament from The Nightmare Before Christmas could probably work for TenSoon as he's despairing late in the book, before realizing that he needs to go and help Sazed.

Edited by Weltall

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 5:19 AM, Trutharchivist said:

Just passed through my mind while re-reading the skaa grouping after kelsier's death scene - "the mob song" from beauty and the beast. 

Nope, that’s book 3, when they’re killing nobles. Particularly since that song is particularly nasty when one considers the soon-to-be French Revolution... for the movie world. It fits those scenes much better.

8 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Maybe, but in the skaa grouping scene there's an attacking mob, while the noble-killing is merely crude executions (as opposed to the Lord Ruler's more "delicate" decapitations).

Yes, but the song is really more reminiscent of the mobs of the early 1790s France. I think the right music might be the orchestral suite from execution scene in Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Also, better than Through Heaven’s Eyes, the song where Dmitri teaches ‘Anna’ to play the role of Anastasia. (Can’t remember the name)

Vin should sing Moana’s song throughout WoA.

For HoA: Once Upon a December when Vin and Elend are at the ball. The nostalgic elements of that song are perfect.

Bald Mountain from Fantasia for the fight between Vin and Ruin (or Duel of the Fates from SW) followed by the song that follows it in Fantasia (I don’t recall the name) as Saze ascends.

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 0:49 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Yes, but the song is really more reminiscent of the mobs of the early 1790s France. I think the right music might be the orchestral suite from execution scene in Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Also, better than Through Heaven’s Eyes, the song where Dmitri teaches ‘Anna’ to play the role of Anastasia. (Can’t remember the name)

Vin should sing Moana’s song throughout WoA.

For HoA: Once Upon a December when Vin and Elend are at the ball. The nostalgic elements of that song are perfect.

Bald Mountain from Fantasia for the fight between Vin and Ruin (or Duel of the Fates from SW) followed by the song that follows it in Fantasia (I don’t recall the name) as Saze ascends.

Side note, her name is Anya.  You were really close!