Live plate theorizing.

Frustration

So with RoW coming soon, and this thread slowing down due to the long wait time, I thought I'd make this, what are your theories on what live plate can do?

Mine is that it can function without Stormlight, similar to how blades can be summoned without gems and instantly.

39 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Mine is that it can function without Stormlight, similar to how blades can be summoned without gems and instantly.

I wonder if stormlight might still be necessary though, due to the extreme weight of the plate.

Maybe, like you suggest, instead of needing stormlight for just simple movement, stormlight fueled living plate would be a super charged version of deadplate. Able to leap 100 feet in the air, able to withstand a 500 foot drop, able to punch through a solid wall, etc.

I think one of its capabilities will be that like a living spren blade its form can be modified by the Radiant. This could be something as simple as membranous wings stretching between a flying radiant's arms and their torso (like a flying squirrel) that could allow them to glide. Or, another adaptation would be turning into an airtight space suit for Windrunner led exploration of the moons. Another similar adaptation would be an underwater diving suit for the exploration of possible underwater caves in Aimia. With the surge of adhesion (pressure and vacuum) it might even be possible to extract O2 directly from the water. I would personally love to see a strike force of 4th ideal radiants in their shardplate diving suits exploring the underwater mysteries of Aimia, with Daigornathis waiting like the Kracken beneath the waves, that would be sweet!

Lightweavers might be able to mould their plate so that it's like body armor, wearable underneath their clothes, but still imparting the same protective benefits.

Stonewards might be able to augment their plate with extra layers pulled from the rock they are standing on, or shields, or extra padding on their feet before they jump off a cliff, etc.

Extreme manipulations of plate might also be possible, like the addition of a large resevoir of air in the back of the plate (functioning kind of like a diving bell) to facilitate underwater and space exploration.

Thankfully we don't have that long to wait to see what the capabilities of living plate actually are, I can't wait for the preview chapters!

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

With the surge of adhesion (pressure and vacuum) it might even be possible to extract O2 directly from the water. I would personally love to see a strike force of 4th ideal radiants in their shardplate diving suits exploring the underwater mysteries of Aimia, with Daigornathis waiting like the Kracken beneath the waves, that would be sweet!

You know what screw my battle of storms idea, this is what I want to see.

I agree(and should have put it in the original post) that there is some more manipulation in live plate.

Edited by Frustration

I think more of those abilities (like auto-shielding from the brightness of Stormform lightning) will become present or explained when living plate is revealed.

I definitely think reshaping it into new forms will be doable, and if it's even half as vibrant (not the word I'm looking for but it's what came to mind) as Shardblade shapeshifting, then there's probably very little to limit it other than the will of the wearer.

Plus, if it's Connected to the Radiant, they can probably do stuff like bond Lightweavings to it to have a "screen" on the arm plating to display stuff.

A little mundane, but I think it will have the ability to be modified like live Shardblades.  You could make your plate look the way you want both in design and things like color and opacity could be changed.  Possibly make it thinner/more form fitting or make it more like a "deflector shield".