The Fellowship of the Thing - I'm bored. Let's mess around! (Retired)

Channelknight Fadran

"The same way you back up anything. You split it up, mix it about... what they're basically doing is investing in other universes. They go so far into the long-term that it's almost impossible to deal any real damage. They've managed to close off universes that haven't even formed galaxies yet, just in case they'll need an entire universe full of resources sometime in the next few billion years. There are places they haven't even touched but keep under their control. And then they build foolproof infrastructure, rewrite histories, dispose of opposition... and if all else fails, they also have the largest army of any single organization in the history of everything, as far as we all know."

"I see a city!" declared Echo Four spontaneously. And indeed, within Echo Six's projection was contained the image of a small metropolis. Skyscrapers rose into the heavens, grubby with the smoke from factories at the cities edge. Sleek silver carriages ran light as air over tarnished bronze tracks.

Everywhere you looked, there were soldiers clad in futuristic black armor wielding terrifying weaponry. They stood guard at corners, marched in tight rows down the streets, and herded groups of downcast citizens from place to place. They were of no one race or species; the majority seemed to of the same kindred as those in chains. 

"Oh!" declared Echo Seven softly. "They are in pain."

"All this talk of right and wrong gives me a headache." deadpanned Cryo, lighting up a cigarette. "Honestly, guys, after visiting tens of worlds and memorizing eight hundred ethical systems, there's only two things I'm willing to bet money on: One, that any ethical system which is internally inconsistent must be wrong; two, that if two people who share identical terminal goals disagree on morality, at least one of them must be wrong. That's that. Y'all can't do better. But your attempts to do better, the things you set in motion by bottlenecking reality into the possibility space you think is preferable, you think is right, in a manner, is good for one thing: writing books. And books make money. And I like me some money." Cryo blew smoke rings, pensive.

58 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Silver shook his head. "Author, this would be so much easier . . ." He leaned towards Pearl. "You really think we should get involved? Papa C always talked about things like this, he made it sound so much easier."

@Zephrun's Imperium

“Honestly? I’m bored. I want to DO something with my life. May as well be this.”

I'm bored. Have a lore dump.

Working name: the Burrowers

They make extradimensional burrows. They can make interdimensional burrows, but those are all closed off right now on the Hub universe due to the usage of dimensional stability crystals. No one but a Burrower can enter one of their burrows, and the Law of Self-Determination is in effect. These effects combined have kept the Burrowers safe from the conquerors... for now. Because the Burrowers utilize dimensional energy - and are specifically able to harvest the organic dimensional energy radiated by the stars of the Hub Universe - they are of particular interest to the conquerors. 

Working name: Law of Self-Determination

The more complex a system, the more able it is to act on its own will. This causes all computerized technology to become artificial intelligence. In the case of the Burrows, the default will of newly born intelligence is to maximize internal energy. This will cause most systems to cease performing their primary function.

(In short, technology won't work within the Burrows.)

Working name: Dimensional energy

Dimensional energy is the one magic system which is guaranteed to work in every dimension, which is why the Fenon Clan uses it extensively. There are a few types of dimensional energy crystals, and they can be converted between each other with the proper procedures. The last three energy crystals on this list are harder to create than other types.

Working name: Dimensional energy crystals
The vanilla energy crystal. Acts as a power source for other energy crystals.

Working name: Gravitation dimensional crystals
Can make things more or less heavy.

Working name: Electromagnetic dimensional crystals
Can create moving electric and magnetic fields.

Working name: Projectile dimensional crystals
Converts electricity into energy projectiles. The Empire makes all its weapons out of this.

Working name: Dimensional stability crystals
Prevents dimensional manipulation.

Working name: Dimensional instability crystals
Encourages dimensional manipulation.

Working name: Null crystals
Nullifies the effect of other dimensional crystals.

So the standard Fenon Clan blaster would have a basic crystal as a power source, an electromagnetic crystal to generate electricity, and projectile crystal to convert the electricity into a blaster blast. They would also have a computer chip (or maybe more than one) to control everything.

"So what are the main barriers that stand in the way of our goal of causing a revolt and controlling the universe?"

"A few hundred volunteers, here in this cave. They're all either unmagical or don't have any significant amount of magic. Pretty much all of them can shoot a gun or stab someone with a sword, and a few can fly spaceships, operate heavy weapons, and do that sort of thing." Fadran gestured around the room. "Here, we have the Fellowship. We've got magic from all over the place; but we're messy, chaotic, and a little weird."

"I'm not entirely sure what kind of magic we all have. I've got some cool stuff from my universe, though a lot of it isn't super effective outside its own borders. Apparently we have two Narrators, which is good, and some folks from the Cosmere. As for the weaponry here, they're mostly just regular rifles: the kind of thing you can carry around and shoot with in pretty much any situation. Nothing super advanced."

Oh hey, Exp! Sorry for the late-ish response; all the posts are loading in weirdly. Feel free to join when/however. If you want I could bodge an excuse in somewhere, but you don't really need any.

@Experience

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

"Well, I come from Mandrell bearing these artifacts of great import." Cryo spoke in a mock-solemn tone, presenting his pack of cigarettes, a lighter and a thin strip of cloth. "The cigarettes give a short-term light buzz and clear your mind. The lighter... lights cigarettes. And this is a blindfold. Since I have perfect memory, I can take a look at a room, blind myself, and navigate it with no issue. You'd be surprised how many magics require eye contact." "Oh, by the way, don't hand me a gun. You... don't wanna know how hard I flunked marksmanship in uni. I'm a hazard to myself and others. Mostly myself."