Breath and Stormlight hacking?

hgleclair

So say Vasher or someone is able to finally figure out awakening through Stormlight, seeing as it would be a (semi) reasonable next step, as he has already discovered how to fuel his divine breath with Stormlight. It seems as if he could easily become one the strongest/most invested people on Roshar, as Stormlight is of course much easier to find and use then Breath, of course this could depend on the actual conversion of 1 breath to how much Stormlight. But for example, during a high storm could he reach levels never reached by anyone on Nalthis for example?

3 minutes ago, hgleclair said:

So say Vasher or someone is able to finally figure out awakening through Stormlight, seeing as it would be a (semi) reasonable next step, as he has already discovered how to fuel his divine breath with Stormlight. It seems as if he could easily become one the strongest/most invested people on Roshar, as Stormlight is of course much easier to find and use then Breath, of course this could depend on the actual conversion of 1 breath to how much Stormlight. But for example, during a high storm could he reach levels never reached by anyone on Nalthis for example?

I could see it playing out a lot of different ways. Breaths are naturally more "sticky" so I think that is why an awakened item can last so long. It does eventually deteriorate. Brandon has said you can't have a never ending awakened arm turning a crank for electricity for instance. I could see needing regular stormlight "infusions" to maintain an awakened item. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

I could see it playing out a lot of different ways. Breaths are naturally more "sticky" so I think that is why an awakened item can last so long. It does eventually deteriorate. Brandon has said you can't have a never ending awakened arm turning a crank for electricity for instance. I could see needing regular stormlight "infusions" to maintain an awakened item. 

I think I see two options, either he can but the Investiture is still Stormlight enough to leak naturally, so any Awakening (including type 4) would be innately temporary.   Alternatively, if there is a full conversion, it's possible the process and exchange rate would require significant Gem storage to make it work, at least imposing a logistical challenge.  

But if somebody figures out how to convert stormlight to Breaths and can then store and awaken with them entirely normally, we'll be seeing a lot more Type-4's and Perfect Invocation.

Questioner

So assuming you have mentioned that it is technically possible to be able to use one magic system on another planet from a different one...

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Is it possible to fuel that... Like, say could you fuel Awakening using Stormlight, or do you have to bring Breaths?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could!

Questioner

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. Now it's-- there are tricks to making it happen on each world. Some are easier than others, but yes you can.

Questioner

So could that allow a loophole to maybe... convert from one form of power to another? Or like from Stormlight to Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. In fact, that's part of why Vasher--

Questioner

Vasher. I wondered that.

Brandon Sanderson

--is on Roshar, is because it's a lot easier to get Stormlight than Breath.

Calamity release party (Feb. 16, 2016)

Questioner

So we already know that Vasher was Kaladin's trainer with a Shardblade, 'cause you told me that last time I asked you. So does Vasher just have a large mass of Biochromatic Breaths and that's how he's surviving, or is he somehow feeding off Stormlight while he is there?

Brandon Sanderson

He is feeding off of Stormlight, which is the primary reason why he came to Roshar. Investiture is easy to access in plentiful amounts.

Questioner

How did he know how to use Shardblades so well when he got there, is that related to how they created Nightblood

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he has experience with Roshar from hundreds of years ago.

White Sand vol.1 Orem signing (June 29, 2016)

ZenBossanova (paraphrased)

Can Vasher use Stormlight to Awaken things?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No, all it does is keep him alive. But he has tried and has not figured out how to Awaken things.

Firefight Phoenix signing (Jan. 21, 2015)

You can use most of the magics on most of the planets to fuel the other magics, if you know how to do it, it is not easy.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

He's hacked the power source but he hasn't hacked the magic system yet.

He cannot Awaken via Stormlight

I don't think you can reach the Heightenings with anything other than Breath

He just uses the free ambient Investiture to feed his Divine Breath to keep himself alive

Edited by Honorless

• Chaos locked this topic