Would a single Atium spike make u a Mistborn or Fullborn ?

Friendshipspren

Question

So Atium removes all powers right ? So suppose I spiked a mistborn and used it on myself . Would I became a Mistborn with all 16 powers ?? 

What if I spiked Tlr ? Would I become Fullborn , all 32 abilities and compounding included ?

Would Tlr survive the process ? 

If he does , would he still be Fullborn ? Or would he become a normie human ? Would he be ' worse than a drab ' ?

Would a single spike accomplish all this ?

6 answers to this question

Atium can only steal one power at a time (as they understand Hemulergy at the moment). There are ways to steal more then one power with a single spike but they don't know that yet. Atium is special in that it can steal any and all powers throughout the Cosmere if one knows which bind point to spike. 

Chaos2651

Hemalurgically, atium steals Allomantic Temporal Powers. But, that seems unlikely, since atium is a god metal. It wouldn't fit in with the rest of the magic system. Did Preservation, in addition to switching Cadmium and Bendalloy for Atium and Malatium, also switch atium's Feruchemical and Hemalurgic powers with Cadmium? Because it seems to me there's not a lot of atium Marsh can use to live for hundreds of years into the next Mistborn trilogy.

Brandon Sanderson

Preservation wanted Atium and Malatium to be of use to the people, as he recognized that it would be a very powerful tool—and that using it up could help defeat Ruin. But he also recognized that sixteen was a mythological important number, and felt it would make the best sign for his followers. So he took out the most unlikely (difficult to make and use) metals for his sign to his followers. But that doesn't have much to do with Hemalurgy's use here.

Remember that the tables—and the ars Arcanum—are 'in world' creations. (Or, at least, in-universe.) The knowledge represented in them is as people understand it, and can always have flaws. That was the case with having atium on the table in the first place, and that was the case with people (specifically the Inquisitors) trying to figure out what atium did Hemalurgically.

Their experiments (very expensive ones) are what determined that atium (which they thought was just one of the sixteen metals) granted the Allomantic Temporal powers. What they didn't realize is that atium (used correctly) could steal ANY of the powers. Think of it as a wild card. With the right knowledge, you could use it to mimic any other spike. It works far better than other spikes as well.

As for Marsh, he's got a whole bag of atium (taken off of the Kandra who was going to try to sell it.) So he's all right for quite a while. A small bead used right can reverse age someone back to their childhood.

But this was a little beyond their magical understanding at the time.

3 hours ago, Dancer said:

Atium can only steal one power at a time (as they understand Hemulergy at the moment). There are ways to steal more then one power with a single spike but they don't know that yet. Atium is special in that it can steal any and all powers throughout the Cosmere if one knows which bind point to spike. 

Ok thanks. I was wondering why tlr simply made inquisitors that way. But thought maybe he couldn't get his hand on the required mistborn and was afraid it would make them too powerful and non controllable. 

This makes much more sense.

7 hours ago, Dancer said:

If I had to guess Id say one "way" to steal more powers is to use Duralumin to directly steal the Connection to Preservation that provides Allomancy, the Connection that is created when you burn Lerasium.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:07 AM, GoWibble said:

I think that it works in the same way that the medallions can only store two easily. You can only steal one power easily

You can steal more. It just depends on your knowledge of Hemulergy which as of right now in the story is not that much. This was due to TLR actively suppressing knowledge of Hemulergy for a thousand years and then Harmony, Spook, Marsh and Kelsier doing the same thing for the next three hundred years. 

Kythis

When you spike somebody, say a full Mistborn, with a steel spike, it could end up with four different charges.  Does it get all four of them it just depends on where you place it?  

Brandon Sanderson

Where you place it it can get all four.  Spiking a full Mistborn wastes a lot of power and the way that it's known, I mean, it doesn't have to, but the way that it's known to do it right now.

@PrinceGenocide What your asking about sounds more like lerasium than atium. We've never seen it in action, but according to the hemalurgic table, lerasium "steals all abilities." So maybe it can do what you want to do. Though its early to make any assumptions about how it works.