Cultivation's magic fish.

Hakedohn

Anyone know if there really are some power or abilities granted to the fish is the purelake. For example, the Kolgril are said to be very lucky fish that can cure aching joints for a month after consuming one.  It is also claimed that an individual can predict when friends will visit after eating one by reading the shape of the clouds. One kolgril could provide two weeks worth of soup. 

I think they have another form of Cultivation's investiture. Any WOB that says I am wrong?

9 minutes ago, Hakedohn said:

Anyone know if there really are some power or abilities granted to the fish is the purelake. For example, the Kolgril are said to be very lucky fish that can cure aching joints for a month after consuming one.  It is also claimed that an individual can predict when friends will visit after eating one by reading the shape of the clouds. One kolgril could provide two weeks worth of soup. 

I think they have another form of Cultivation's investiture. Any WOB that says I am wrong?

They have spren bonds, which make them different than regular fish, similar to Ryshadium.

Sixth of the Dusk spoilers

Spoiler

I suspect they have some abilities and are able to share them somehow, similar to what the Aviar have in SotD.

16 minutes ago, Hakedohn said:

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)
#8 Sept. 26, 2012 Share Copy

Yados

What's up with those fish in the Purelake?

Brandon Sanderson

Haven't you always wanted magic fish?

Footnote: Brandon has since confirmed that the "magic fish" of the Purelake do form symbiotic bonds with spren.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)
#14 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Hoiditthroughthegrapevine

The magical fish in the Purelake, is their magic part of the Old Magic paradigm?

Brandon Sanderson

The magical fish are not of Honor. Not of Honor not in a bad way, but there's something else going on there.

Edited by Karger

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2019 at 10:29 PM, RShara said:

They have spren bonds, which make them different than regular fish, similar to Ryshadium.

Sixth of the Dusk spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I suspect they have some abilities and are able to share them somehow, similar to what the Aviar have in SotD.

Yup, found this WoB:

Kogiopsis

Are there any parallels between the fish in the Purelake and the Aviar in Sixth of the Dusk?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Lindel (paraphrased)

Crem and the Purelake on Roshar. Do they have any connection to Cultivation?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Both existed on the planet before Cultivation arrived.

Lindel (paraphrased)

But both are influenced by her now?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, she influences both.

Teen Author Boot Camp (April 11, 2015)

WeiryWriter

Are the "magic fish" of the Purelake the result of symbiotic bonds with spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes they are. Many creatures on Roshar have such interactions with spren.

General Signed Books 2013 (Dec. 18, 2013)

I wonder though which ability of the fish that @Hakedohn mentioned is fictitious and which one is real, assuming that only one of them is real. I think both might be real

Cultivation is supposed to have better futuresight, and "the clouds" might be referring to something other than normal clouds: the Highstorms or a peek into the Spiritual. There's also the mention of the fish being lucky. Sounds like Fortune.

Curing aching joints also sounds easy enough for Investiture to do. But only joints? Only for a month? There is the fact that this seems to be the more common usage among the Purelakers: but this could go either way, it could be an often-practiced superstition with resulting placebo effect or the fish might simply be medicinal.

Edited by Honorless

• Chaos locked this topic