Brandon mentions Adolin needs to decide his Ideals

Wintersu

While we’ve been discussing Kaladins love life ad nauseam, Brandon has been over on Reddit saying some cool stuff.

Here’s a tidbit from earlier this week, but he’s posted a couple times in the last hour

Quote:  

I'd say that Adolin needs to decide what his ideals are. He's in a confusing stage for himself, because deep down, he can't decide what man he wants to be. Is he an inferior version of his father, or is he someone else, who needs to find his own way? 

Settling this question is going to be vital to Adolin in coming years. /quote

Now, he didn’t just say that Adolin will be taking ideals, but it’s an interesting word choice. Also, it tells us what internal struggle Adolin will be dealing with in future. I personally expect Adolin to continue to play a larger role. I look forward to some POV from him

3 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Interesting! This could work with a theory I'm cooking up...maybe Adolin decides NOT to go down the path of Radiants and decides to find a separate way to make his mark? Interesting...

My current fanthreory is that Adolin will successfully revive Maya but instead of becoming Radiant will start a Lifebearer school to help revive the dead blades of Roshar.

27 minutes ago, Karger said:

My current fanthreory is that Adolin will successfully revive Maya but instead of becoming Radiant will start a Lifebearer school to help revive the dead blades of Roshar.

Oh that's nifty! Mine is that he - with instruction from Azure and/or Vasher - will find a way to hack whatever "cultivation-light" is into Breaths (or something functionally similar) and use that to reanimate Maya so to speak. 

17 hours ago, Karger said:

I like that theory!!  I’m just excited to see the general reaction from the spren, especially the Stormfather, if Adolin does revive Maya as it appears it is heading that direction. I would imagine the spren would become very fond of him. 

42 minutes ago, TruthlessGancho said:

I’m just excited to see the general reaction from the spren, especially the Stormfather, if Adolin does revive Maya as it appears it is heading that direction. I would imagine the spren would become very fond of him. 

This is the potentially huge implementation. It would change the way Spren view the new Knights, and lead to an enormous increase in bonds of all orders

2 minutes ago, Wintersu said:

This is the potentially huge implementation. It would change the way Spren view the new Knights, and lead to an enormous increase in bonds of all orders

Yes although there are other reasons the spren do not want to bond humans that Ico hinted at.

I personally think he'll have to form a nahel bond to revive her, but there's no reason he couldn't start a school of sorts while being a Radiant. Not all Radiants will be on the front lines, and even the ones that are sometimes on the front lines won't be there all the time. And starting a school with the goal of reviving dead spren is a very Edgedancer thing I think.

And I also want to see the spren react to Maya being revived. Especially as I think there's more to the story of the Recreance then we and almost everyone in-universe knows.

Edited by CrazyRioter

17 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

And I also want to see the spren react to Maya being revived. Especially as I think there's more to the story of the Recreance then we and almost everyone in-universe knows.

This would be fascinating - there is so much spren distrust of humans that is based on previously bonded spren having died that this is sure to change things up. What would happen to spren prejudice if the only way to revive the dead spren is via a Nahel bond?

And there has to be more to the story of the Recreance than what we (or in-universe people) know so far. If something like that were revealed in the real world, the reaction of most people would be a collective shrug - "Eh, sounds bad, but it was a pretty long time ago... nothing to do with us now." There has to be more to it.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, Karger said:

I hope something along these lines happens. Radiants are super dope and all that but I think everyone being one will make it less interesting. Maybe this is just me falling prey to the Batman Syndrome, but I really think any real team needs to have at least one person (if not a few) who aren't in the special powers club. Adolin keeping up with the Radiants through normal human, yet refined skill makes it a more interesting story all around, in my opinion. And of course that may create a dissonance in the Shallan-Adolin pair as one of them is 'gifted' but the other isn't and then they may or may not realize that who really gives a wad and get hitched/stay hitched and resolve that little arc. But I'm not writing the books, and I'll read them either way haha I'm already so far in the bandwagon there's really no hopping off now.

That said, spren revival would be pretty great to see. I wonder if Honor will have to be restored fully before that happens and if it's possible to un-splinter a shard. It's gotta be possible. Right?

Andolin has always given Maya respect. His rituals. Speaking to her even in his mind even when he didnt understand she was a dead spren. She's also an edgedancers blade which I feel Andolin is starting to live up to their oaths. Hes loved by the people even listens to darkeyes and protects whores. He's remebering the forgotten with Maya. I feel her minds gone but still fuctions on instinct. Maybe his ideals he needs to choose will be slightly differnt then we've seen. Like how Tefts differed from Kaladins but was in the same ball park. Andolin will need to hit a homerun to bring her back. 

• Chaos locked this topic