2nd Era knowlege of investiture

Turin Turambar

How do those in the second age know so much about investiture? I think that Sazed gave them some sort of book, but why would he explain it?

Also, does anyone else think that in BoM it's funny that what are essentially angels are giving a slideshow presentation on magic in some guys office? (I know that they're Kandra, but they're "messengers of a deity." I think that's what constitutes an angel)

42 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

How do those in the second age know so much about investiture? I think that Sazed gave them some sort of book, but why would he explain it?

Also, does anyone else think that in BoM it's funny that what are essentially angels are giving a slideshow presentation on magic in some guys office? (I know that they're Kandra, but they're "messengers of a deity." I think that's what constitutes an angel)

Sazed believed in everyone having a right to choose whatever religion they wished to worship. In order to do that, they need to be fully informed. I believe the only thing he truly kept from the populace was hemalurgy. Otherwise he wrote how things actually happened as accurate and as free of bias as he could. The legends that grew from that were from the people themselves who read it. Sazed said himself he should not be worshiped. That the religion that grew from him was more about focusing on the practitioner rather than on any "deity". 

Sazed is big on informed choice and he's also subtly but actively pushing Scadrial towards developments that will see them become a starfaring civilization. To do that, he's nudging them towards both pure technology and what we might call magitech. That requires that Scadrians start to understand how and why their magic works the way it does, not just what it does.

9 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

They would probably need the blessing of potency in order to get airborne with wings the size of the ones depicted in classical Christian art.

Or some spikes for F-Iron, if Sazed happens to have any of those lying around.

18 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

did you mean Technomancy

No. I see technomancy as more 'magic that affects technology' or 'technology that creates effects that look like magic', basically Clarke's Third Law in action. Magitech by contrast is a fusion of magic and technology. Which is pretty much what the Southerners have with their airships and the medallions and Roshar has with all its fabrials.

17 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

@Turin Turambar I love your name! You... don’t have any missing sisters right? And be wary of that talking sword. And while building bridges sounds awesome, do exercise caution - there may be dragons...

(The Lay of The Children of Hurin is one of my fave Tolkien works!)

Thanks - I'm also a HUGE Tolkien fan to the extent that I almost literally grew up on in... that's why I chose the name. Admittedly, I'd do just about anything for a good fantasy novel and Tolkien is sort of the granddaddy. 

23 hours ago, Weltall said:

No. I see technomancy as more 'magic that affects technology' or 'technology that creates effects that look like magic', basically Clarke's Third Law in action. Magitech by contrast is a fusion of magic and technology. Which is pretty much what the Southerners have with their airships and the medallions and Roshar has with all its fabrials.

Huh - I always saw technomancy as it's etymology would suggest, magical technology. Which you apparently call magitech. Apparently, there are language barriers everywhere. ;) 

11 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Huh - I always saw technomancy as it's etymology would suggest, magical technology. Which you apparently call magitech. Apparently, there are language barriers everywhere. ;) 

I thought most -mancy terms were magic that manipulated something.  So necro-, pyro-, hydro- mancy refer to magics that affect the dead, fire, and water.  

By that pattern, technomancy would be magic that affects technology.  

34 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

necromancy - death magic

pyromancy - fire magic

hydromancy - water magic

alternately, you could say pyromancy is magic that manipulates fire. That's the root of the problem.

I'm not sure I see the difference between "fire magic" and "magic that manipulates fire."  In both, "magic" is the object.  "Fire" is the type of magic.  

So "technomancy" could mean "technology magic" or "magic that manipulates technology."  But it wouldn't mean "magic technology" or "technology that incorporates magic."  

Fun fact, -mancy is derived from the Greek word manteia and refers to divination. Necromancy would have originally meant divination by means of the dead (for example, Odysseus summoning Tiresias' shade in the Odyssey), pyromancy to divination by fire, geomancy to divination by earth and so on. The use of -mancy to refer to magic that manipulates these things or -mancer to refer to the practitioners of magic that manipulates the thing so named is technically a misnomer, but a very pervasive one.

Edited by Weltall

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

Fun fact, -mancy is derived from the Greek word manteia and refers to divination. Necromancy would have originally meant divination by means of the dead (for example, Odysseus summoning Tiresias' shade in the Odyssey), pyromancy to divination by fire, geomancy to divination by earth and so on. The use of -mancy to refer to magic that manipulates these things or -mancer to refer to the practitioners of magic that manipulates the thing so named is technically a misnomer, but a very pervasive one.

Yeah, well, the misuse of words is how language evolves.

Yeah, but there were perfectly good suffixes that actually mean what -mancy is commonly used for nowadays: -kinesis where the word telekenisis comes from, and -urgy, the Greek root of which is the same place we get out word energy. It's less evolution and more sloppy research. :P

• Chaos locked this topic