Speed Bubble in an Aluminum Box?

StoneWalker

Question

Say you have a Pulser or Slider and place them in an aluminum box with the following parameters:

• Thick enough to block a Seeker from detecting their allomancy
  • Small enough to fit inside a speed bubble

Would the speed bubble be able to go through the aluminum to be the maximum possible size? Would the speed bubble get absorbed somehow? Could it even be excluded, like the Meissner effect in superconductivity and magnetism?

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if there is no way to know the answer. I wondering of how it could interact.

P.S. for those concerned, the box is constructed so the Pulser/Slider would be just fine.

10 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Well, there was a WOB about what happens if there's aluminum breaking the edge of the bubble when it's forming, so I'd have to say it would probably either do some funky stuff with condensing inside the box or just violently rip.

Are you referring to this one?

Questioner

What would happen--

Imagine I had-- imagine Wayne is standing near the end of an aluminium tube. He tries to set up a speed bubble such that he radius would go through the tube, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Okay standing at the end of an aluminum tube, well I don't know--

Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. I think that if it's trying to be set up through aluminum it's gonna' disrupt it, you're gonna' have that sort of the "backlash" that you get when-- yeah.

Questioner

Oh so you can't even set it, it won't be there *inaudible*--

Brandon Sanderson

I don't think you can set it up, I think it's gonna' cause it to collapse the second that it tries to pop up around the aluminum.

Questioner

Okay that makes sense.

Brandon Sanderson

[...]

Yeah, it's probably gonna' act like you tried to set up a speed bubble on something that's too small and moving.

If aluminum is breaking/blocking the edge of the bubble it fails to form, so Id assume it would do the same here.  We know that you can make a bubble with at least small amounts of aluminum inside it (since Im pretty sure Wayne has carried aluminum around while using his allomancy), but Id suspect that being entirely surrounded by it would disrupt the bubble formation more than simply carrying it in a pocket.

So you could shoot aluminium bullets out of a speed bubble fairly accurately?

Edit: oh, wait, nevermind. The bubble would collapse with aluminium bullets inside.. ^^ nevermind 

Edited by Servillius

4 minutes ago, Servillius said:

So you could shoot aluminium bullets out of a speed bubble fairly accurately?

Edit: oh, wait, nevermind. The bubble would collapse with aluminium bullets inside.. ^^ nevermind 

Something like that Im sure, though he's RAFO'd the question for now.  The whole issue with speed bubbles futzing with bullet accuracy had more to do with the narrative dangers of making a something so overpowered (creates railgun-like super acceleration), as opposed to a natural function of the Realmic principles involved.  Having them randomly spin bullets sidesteps that, and just having the aluminum bullets pop the bubble would seem to be a similarly functional limitation.

14 hours ago, Invocation said:
14 hours ago, Servillius said:

Yeah, but nothing stops someone using a speed bubble from taking aim, cancelling the speed bubble for the instant he shoots, and then remaking the speed bubble, right?

There's a delay between bubbles.

Also the ability to react during the tiny amount of time it takes a bullet to go a couple of feet.