Kholinar's Oathgate

Maffu17

We  have some good information about the Oathgate in Kholinar ie http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7835-the-oathgates-spoilers/?hl=oathgate

My question is - where is this most likely to be on the map?

V8DuvzG.jpg

I'm thinking it's more likely to be central, but the space is smaller.

Also, if the Circle of Memory is part of the Royal Temple, would the Palace be built on top of the that? So the Temple is essentially inside hill, and the Palace atop the hill.

I'm trying to Minecraft it, this is the main feature of Kholinar and don't want to get it wrong.

Given the whole plateau was the Shattered Plains oathgate, could the central circle be the 'door' as it was and the entire glyph extent of Kholinar is the teleporting bit. Would explain why a lot of the big cities are glyph-shaped!

Given the whole plateau was the Shattered Plains oathgate, could the central circle be the 'door' as it was and the entire glyph extent of Kholinar is the teleporting bit. Would explain why a lot of the big cities are glyph-shaped!

I don't doubt there is a reason behind the glyph shapes. Other than the fact they were made using cymatics with surges on a huge scale. However, the receiving plates placed around Urithiru are all circular so I think we have to assume the sending plates are too.

The thread I linked explains the similarity between the room Shallan found under the plateau and thr room in the temple in Kholinar which itself is on round flat-topped hill. Just not sure which of the structures on the map they are referencing. And if it is central, why was the sending plate at Stormseat off-centre.

Edited by Maffu17

Decided to go with the central location. To anyone who's interested i've took a couple of images of my progress so far. One is the view from far above of my Kholinar, the other a view of the main road leading to the central hill which will eventually have the Palace and Temple on it.

Ha2c2Tj.jpg

gHuuxZI.jpg

The Circle of Memories in the Kholinar Palace/Temple complex is described as the same as the room in Stormseat that operates the Oathgate.  Palaces and Temples are usually in the middle of the city, or close to it, so that's likely where the Oathgate is as well.

Here is the link to the thread for the translation of Jasnah's notes, that include speculations on Urithiru, and the locked Oathgate.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6619-shallans-drawing-page-354-alethi-script-translation-spoilers/?hl=%2Bshallan+%2Bdrawing

Edited by RShara

Thanks RShara, that post is new to me, I kept away from the boards until i'd read WoR a couple of times. Seems I missed out on some interesting stuff.

I don't have time at the moment for more rereads, so I need your brains. Can anyone remember off the top of their heads if we have any details of Alethi architecture? 

The mosaic of Stormseat seems to imply that roofs sloped upwards from east to west, this also seems the case in the warcamps, at least on the barracks Kaladin was chained to, should I make all Kholinar's buildings similarly sloped?

Is it mentioned somewhere that they never build very tall buildings, a reference Dalinar made about Elhokar's palace being the tallest building in the warcamps, or when he met Noadon maybe?

Are there other buildings of note in Kholinar? I've made areas in different brickwork intending to have a more wealthy area, an embassy compound, stables, a tall tower attached to a banking building so they can infuse spheres. I have a lot of space to fill and don't want to miss anything important. If anyone has ideas as to what to include i'm all ears.

The windblades are described as fins, but what kind of fins, a tail fin? Propeller Fin? Jaws' dorsal fin? Also the coppermind says Kholinar was built around the windblades, shouldn't it be inside the windblades? 

• 4 years later...

Can you give me the world file? I was hoping to use the map for a base on which to create the rest of Roshar in Minecraft, not to scale but all of the major cities and locations mentioned in the books with some terrain between them. I would really appreciate a starting point for this project, and this would be a huge help. 

Edited by Glaedr Firnen

• Chaos locked this topic