[Theory] Truthwatchers: Vision, Their Take On Illumation, and Their Purpose

GreyPilgrim

"Theory" may be a little ambitious for this, but here goes:

The two Truthwatchers we have seen thus far, Ym and Renarin, both wear glasses. This cannot be a coincidence.

I think that this may have something to do with the Truthwatchers' use of the Illumination Surge. We have already seen quite a bit about how the Lightweavers use it. My belief is that Orders do not use the same Surges the same way. Obviously, the Lightweavers weave light to create illusions which we have seen are manipulations of the truth, lies made true. The Truthwatchers' name suggests truth will also be given significance by them. They also watch the truth. Watching could well relate to this impairment of vision shared.

Maybe this correlation means that the Truthwatchers will, because of their impaired vision, literally view the world in a different way, maybe somehow enhanced or changed by their use of Illumination. Maybe they see more truths in the world through this. The Order's Divine Attributes are Learning and Giving. Maybe because of the truths they see in the world, they have a vast store of knowledge. We know from Words of Radiance (the in-world one) that the Order is secretive and esoteric. Maybe they are waiting until they can reveal all of this truth they have been watching in their special way.

Sorry if this makes little sense. It is really more of a bunch of random thoughts from everyone's favorite Pilgrim.

Thoughts? Additional speculation?

An interesting thought since it would be fun to see how skybreakers would use the gravity surge in a different way to windrunners.

Shallan needed truths to soulcast the first time in WoK which Jasnah diden't need but in the end the result were the same so i dunno. 

I hope you are correct though :)

Unfortunately, adjacent Orders use their shared Surge in effectively the same way:

Q:  Is the crossover surge for each Knight the same?
A:  To an extent, yes.  Each of the combinations make a little bit of a tweak to how things act.  But when you see the Skybreakers affecting gravity it will look much the same as what you saw on the Windrunners.

Unfortunately, adjacent Orders use their shared Surge in effectively the same way:

Even given that, I still believe there may be a different take. Brandon does say that there will be little tweaks, though that is not even how I was thinking about it. I was thinking more in terms of that a different Order may have a different connection or interpretation of the Surge and its uses.

It's my belief that the use of the surges in combination allows for slightly different effects. When we saw Shallan soulcast it seemed she was only able to do it if in direct contact with the object. The soulcasting fabricals seem the same. Although we don't have that much information so it could just be her inexperience with it. Jasnah on the other hand was able to soulcast at a distance which could be because of the use of the Transportation surge along with Transformation. Shallan also seemed to be able to "transform" people by using her illumination surge and her wit/charisma/stuff.

Progression as a surge we don't really know much about. We have only see it being used to grow plants and heal injuries. The name of the surge suggests it is capable of a lot more than just that. My previous idea was that it could involve time manipulation when used in conjunction with illumination allows one to "see" the future. This doesn't seem to fit as stormlight healing is based on the cognitive and not time manipulation so it suggests that progression healing is the same. Anyway book 3 is going to be interesting.

I think the idea of the surges being used differently is fun, and to the extent that Numb describes, is something we will see.  As to the glasses part...I would be pretty impressed if Brandon could write that in in a way that felt like it tied well into the nature of spren.  So far, the system we've had described to us is based on spren being drawn to individuals who: a) are "broken" or "cracked" and, epitomize, or seek to epitomize the characteristic that spren is tied to.  I'll accept that there may be other factors.  I think Brandon is strongly hinting at some sort of heredity or network factor at work, or just a manipulation of the system, if we look at the Kholin family.  Does anyone have other thoughts on how spren choose the person they're bonding with?  In this case, though I appreciate your rationale as to them having a different perspective (which may still hold true), I'd be very surprised if it was because of the glasses.  If it is though, it may be worth noting that Truthwatchers could end up being more common among (wealthier?  not sure of the relative cost of glasses on Roshar) older craftsman.  Ym's need for glasses may have been tied to the visual focus required for his field of work.  

Edited by Ati

How does Renarin healing his eyesight (whether through stormlight or regrowth) and no longer needing glasses fit with your theory?

What I was thinking (and kind of what I was getting at in my OP) is that having visual impairment can change the way one makes Cognitive connections. Their mind then becomes trained to somehow make these connections in a different way from other people. However this is, those who do turn out like it are potential Truthwatchers. This ties in sort of with what Ati said about broken souls, that vision may be a contributor to the breaking.

So Renarin attracted Glys because of some part of this framework. What I was thinking is that his Cognitive identity/working has changed to such an extent that it can't be (easily) undone, so he still has this difference that makes him view the world like a Truthwatcher.

As you say Sphinx, we don't know whether Renarin healed through Stormlight or through Regrowth. This may be key to my theory.

If he healed through Stormlight, that means he Cognitively views himself as having normal vision, as Stormlight is a normal Realmatic healing. Like Feruchemical gold, it restores you to your Cognitively ideal state. (This was why Kaladin expelled the ink, as he viewed himself as branded.) If Renarin still views himself as having normal vision, he would not have this Cognitive difference that would contribute to his Truthwatcher-ness.

Obviously, I hope he used Regrowth. So far, it is the only Investiture ability that allows one to heal another. I believe that it does not work with the same Cognitive ideal concept as other Realmatic healing, as one doesn't really have ideals about other people. I see no reason it would be likewise constricted when one tries to heal oneself. Ergo, Renarin could have actively chosen to heal his sight with Regrowth while still having his Cognitive difference and still being a Truthwatcher, viewing the world differently.

Or I could be reading way too much into Ym and Renarin both having impaired vision. But what does a true Sharder do other than read way too much into everything?

Or I could be reading way too much into Ym and Renarin both having impaired vision. But what does a true Sharder do other than read way too much into everything?

Hear hear.

The passage that comes to my mind is at the very end of WoR:

"Truthwatcher?"  Kaladin said, glancing at Shallan.  She shook her head.  "I walk the winds.  She weaves light.  Brightlord Dalinar forges bonds.  What do you do?" 

Renarin met Kaladin's eyes across the room.  "I see."

I know that there is a WoB that different orders will use surges in much the same way but I can't help but think that what Renarin and Shallan do will be significantly different.  Why doesn't Renarin just say "I weave light like Shallan"?  Instead he says "I see."  Judging by Renarin's breakdown when the Everstorm started (I think he kept saying "It's here" or some such) he can see into the future.  There's nothing in Shallan's viewpoints that indicate that talent.

The passage that comes to my mind is at the very end of WoR:

I know that there is a WoB that different orders will use surges in much the same way but I can't help but think that what Renarin and Shallan do will be significantly different. Why doesn't Renarin just say "I weave light like Shallan"? Instead he says "I see." Judging by Renarin's breakdown when the Everstorm started (I think he kept saying "It's here" or some such) he can see into the future. There's nothing in Shallan's viewpoints that indicate that talent.

Good catch, Citizen. I have an idea.

It is speculated that the Edgedancers are related to Cultivation, based on the power of Growth, Wyndle appearing as vines to Lift, and the Nightwatcher (many think she is related to Cultivation) being the mother of their spren.

We also know that Cultivation is better at future sight than Honor was.

Maybe this relation to Cultivation with the Progression Surge (the name of which is odd) in combination with this different form of sight through Illumination is what allows the Truthwatchers to see into the future.

I know that there is a WoB that different orders will use surges in much the same way but I can't help but think that what Renarin and Shallan do will be significantly different.  Why doesn't Renarin just say "I weave light like Shallan"?  Instead he says "I see."  Judging by Renarin's breakdown when the Everstorm started (I think he kept saying "It's here" or some such) he can see into the future.  There's nothing in Shallan's viewpoints that indicate that talent.

Shallan sketches a few things which might indicate future sight. First, she sketches Shallash destroying a statue. Then she sketches Yalb and the sailors being safe. Maybe not future, but present?

Edited by Moogle

Shallan sketches a few things which might indicate future sight. First, she sketches Shallash destroying a statue. Then she sketches Yalb and the sailors being safe. Maybe not future, but present?

It would sort of make sense that if one Order with the Illumination Surge is able to see into the future with greater clarity than others that the other could have a better view of the present.

I got the feeling that Shallan's sketches were more viewing events of the past that she may or may not have actually seen at the time but not registered. Reminds me of the sleeping mind in The Kingkiller Chronicles. The Shallash statue thing is pretty odd though. Maybe it's more seeing the past than seeing the present/future?

• Chaos locked this topic