(Spoilers) 2 bond smiths?

ddleg

We don't know that 10 spren came from Shadesmar - and the Stormfather only forbade the honorspren from traveling through, he doesn't seem to have any influence over the other types of spren (Wyndle, for example, was commanded by a group known as the Ring). We don't know how many Bondsmith spren are out there either, or what those spren are - it's possible that all Bondsmiths bond with the Stormfather (though I don't believe that, personally). 

Discussed.

Well, wouldn't the Stormfather count as one of the ten? He started bonding with Dalinar a while ago, because he had to (the visions). Plus he only forbade Syl, he doesn't control any other Nahel-bonding spren so far. Cryptics, highspren, Wyndle-like-Ring-whatever etc have their own politics and don't answer to the Stormfather. On a side note, where is it said ten spren came to bond with people?

Ym quite clearly had access to the Progression Surge, which would make him either a Truthwatcher or an Edgedancer. Since Renarin has been revealed to be a Truthwatcher, and Lift is an Edgedancer, there is quite clearly more than just one of each Spren.

Unless the Renarin's Spren (Glys) and Ym's Spren are one and the same. I think this unlikely, though, as it doesn't seem to fit with the timing, given that the Words of Radiance happen over the course of a little over a Rosharan month. I don't think Glys would have had the time to rebond someone else and regain his sentience quite as fast.

Unless the Renarin's Spren (Glys) and Ym's Spren are one and the same. I think this unlikely, though, as it doesn't seem to fit with the timing, given that the Words of Radiance happen over the course of a little over a Rosharan month. I don't think Glys would have had the time to rebond someone else and regain his sentience quite as fast.

Given that Ym´s Spren urges him on to "use the light" I think it is very likely that he was a Truthwatcher. However, if I remember right than Brandon wrote in a signed book (Feather´s I belive) that "Renarin sees a Spren that no one else does," before WoR came out. Logically that means that he saw the Spren in Wok, which would mean that it can´t be Ym´s. Unless the Interlude is out of continuity. Kind of weird evidence, I know, but it is all we have.

Edited by Edgedancer

I think unlikely that it is far outside of the continuity. Renarin is described as watching empty spaces quite early in the Way of Kings, and while I am not quite sure if this is common for autistics or not, I suspect he was seeing (if not communicating with) Glys already around the time of the start of the book.

I think the limit of one Spren for the Orders is largely the result of Spren Politics. The Cryptics decided it was wise to send a forerunner, Ivory's faction felt it best to have nothing to do with humans at all (wasn't it mentioned that he betrayed his kind by bonding Jasnah?) and the Stormfather forbade the Honourspren to return to the Physical Realm. There is little that suggests whether the Ring sent more Spren or not, and we know nothing of the rest of the Nahel spren. Presumably most of them would be hesitant to return, but I don't see why they would all restrict themselves quite as firmly to just one.

I think it would be odd to have only one Radiant per Order. If certain spren kin want to prevent Desolation by creating KR, wouldn't it make more sense to bond with more people? Ten Radiants and no Heralds looks like a loss considering past Desolations. I know things are happening different now, but the spren didn't expect it since they only spoke to Jasnah of how it has been. It's helpful that Kal will likely have a thousand squires, but wouldn't those spren like Wyndle's kin do better if they create more surgebinders to fight? Sending just one sounds like a waste to me. Either gather enough force to win or don't fight at all.

Edited by Aleksiel

• Chaos locked this topic