Knights Radiant vs channelers

ice4

I would think channelers. They can do much more than surgebinders. Surgebinders are restricted by their two surges whereas a good strong channeler can do pretty much anything. Channelers cannot run out of stormlight. However, surgebinders can heal themselves and channelers cannot. That would be a definite advantage for the surgebinders.

Overall, if you were to make Rand and Kaladin fight one against the other, I would say hands down Rand.

Hmm... Dunno. A surgebinder like Kaladin doesn't seem to have protection from the most basic attack combo of mid-strength channeller: hold target with Air, Balefire to the face. I guess if Kaladin would figure out why he stopped, and then Lash himself with enough strength, he *might* be able to break the flows, but would it be fast enough? Also, he won't be able to see attacks coming in many cases, such as razor wire made of Air/fire around channeller, for example. So when he'd come closer to lash/attack, he'd cut to pieces.

Then again, Shardblade would probably be able to cut flows, and is possibly immune to Balefire... And the channelers tire faster than Stormlight-snorting Surgebinder. So well, depends.

Well, I think that we can agree that a Shardblade would be able to slice through weaves, block weaves, etc., and that Shardplate would block weaves altogether (ala Mat's ter'angreal).  So, in a duel, a full Shardbearer Radiant would actually probably win, I think.

Now, as for who is just straight up the most deadly?  An intelligent, resourceful channeler easily takes the cake.  Given a setup equally beneficial to both to see who has the most Destructive Potential (an endless, massive horde of people that stand around and don't fight back) a KR could fairly easily kill hundreds an hour, with higher or lower numbers based upon their Surges (but still easily in the hundreds per hour range).  Skybreakers, Windrunners, and Edgedancers may make it into low thousands due to their mobility advantages.  A channeler can be expected to be at least in the thousands per hour with the same set up.

Channelers are more vulnerable than the KR, though, so even as their destructive potential increases, so does their risk.  And eventually a channeler will be too tired to continue, so after a good 3-4 hours their potential decreases, and will keep going down until they stop altogether.  A KR will not necessarily face this problem, so if a fight lasts long enough they'll eventually overtake the channeler.

In a more realistic setup, though, a channeler and a KR would both be supported with some kind of army or force of their own.  As long as the channeler remained protected, they'd be able to rain death and destruction on the enemy with far more effect than a KR cutting their way through.  Of course, we haven't seen any good examples of KR in war, while we have lots of wartime channelers, so I might be completely off--but based on what we know of each so far, those are my thoughts.

It could go one of three ways. Either the KR wins almost instantly while the channeler is still too started to seize the power and react, the KR looses shortly afterwards, or the KR can move fast enough that the channeler has trouble getting a good bead on them. It's also possible the KR could eat a fireball and pretend that was fatal, then surprise the channeler.

The thing is, killing an endless army of defenseless people that didn't fight back would propbably break the KR's Navel bond pretty fast.

Well, I was ignoring that aspect to explore the greatest potential for destruction that they each have.  It's too easy to boil "who is the deadliest" down to "who would win in a fight."  An M1A1 Abrams tank will almost always win against artillery--unless the artillery knows they're coming and are prepared.  On the other hand, the artillery is far deadlier on the field of battle than the tanks (and I spent 9 years as a tanker in the army, so I'm biased for tanks).  In this example, KR are tanks, channelers are artillery.

Unless it was a KR that caused the Shattered Plains, I just don't see how there's any comparison in terms of overall devastation they can cause to an enemy force.

The thing is, killing an endless army of defenseless people that didn't fight back would propbably break the KR's Navel bond pretty fast.

Depends on the overall situation. If you had a Skybreaker, and the army was composed entirely of people who committed capital crimes, it could work. If the existence of the army somehow threatened their men, a Windrunner could probably do it, although that might be more iffy. If the army was evil, but for some reason unable to do anything, a Dustbringer (under the hypothesized oaths) might be able to do it.

Well Surgebinders will get their asses kicked by Channelers but on the other hand I think the Stormfather will pretty much beat everyone.

What I would like to see is a ring-fight between Odium and the Dark One!

Also off topic, but WoT related, did anyone else catch Shallans 'proper braid' moment? 

When was this???

Chapter 70, when Shallan and Kaladin are down in the chasms:

"Nothing," she said, standing up and trying to make something of her frazzled hair. Storms. She must look like the aftereffect of a lighting bolt hitting a jar of red link. She sighed. She didn't have a brush, and he didn't look like he was going to give her time for a proper braid, so she put on her boots...

I like her description of her hair :)

I am willing to bet that this is an intentional nod to tWoT.

Getting a bit off-topic here but if it is a deliberate nod to the Wheel Of Time then it's also subverted: a common complaint among the men there is that (paraphrased) "a woman will still want time to do her hair if it's the end of the world" - here, Shallan does have a momentary desire to fix her hair but doesn't ask or waste time on it.

I think Brandons rules for magic leave his characters at a serious disadvantage. Jordan's characters are much less limited. Even if they struggled with the Stormfather they could just break out the Bowl of the Winds.

And suffer the HELL that dealing with the annoying Windfinders entails?  

I'd rather get pounded by a Highstorm :(

And suffer the HELL that dealing with the annoying Windfinders entails?  

I'd rather get pounded by a Highstorm :(

The only problems I saw in dealing with the Windfinders were from idiots thinking that they were smart.  You know, the gray Ajah sister Rand left in charge (Merana?), Elayne, and Nynaeve.  People who all, at the outset, said "This is what we want, and we are willing to pay any price to get it."  As long as you understand basic negotiation, you should be able to get a more favorable outcome than them.

• Chaos locked this topic