[Theory] Taln is not Taln (some spoilers)

lyht

Hi, I am new to all of this and loving it. However, because I am new, please be kind if these ideas have already been discussed at length, or if I am missing something obvious.

So here is my theory: The mad-man who calls himself Taln, and announced the coming of the Desolation, is not actually Taln, the Herald.

Here was my thought process:

I was pondering who might have the other two Honorblades that are out in the world, and I thought of the Blade Dalinar got from Taln, and I was like "Yes! Dalinar has one... wait, he got rid of it."

It then seemed to me that it was not an Honorblade at all. The Stormfather called it an abomination, and didn't Dalinar hear screams? And apparently from WoB (I haven't looked it up) you don't bond with Honorblades, but Dalinar bonded with his.

But, if Taln didn't have an Honorblade, could he even be a Herald? I can't imagine how Heralds could stand to bond (or even hold) dead-spren blades.

I guess there has been some speculation about if Hoid could have swapped the blades, but I guess WoB says no. Some discussion of it here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6698-missing-honorblade/

And I read somewhere that Brandon referred to Taln as "He who calls himself Taln", so maybe he is not even Taln.

I know he exhibited superhuman reflexes and speed, but there could be other reasons for that, possibly? :)

Anywho, there you go. My first posting, and my first theory.

The general belief here at the moment, as can be seen in that thread, is that this man is not Taln. It is entirely possible. Brandon is being evil and messing with our heads, but I personally don't believe that.

And welcome! I hope to see you around.  :)

Heralds on chapter headings suggest that the one in WoK epilogue is Taln, but the one met by Amaram in WoR is not.

Who could possibly steal a Herald, hmmm? ^^

Edited by Eri

Heralds on chapter headings suggest that the one in WoK epilogue is Taln, but the one met by Amaram in WoR is not.

Who could possibly steal a Herald, hmmm? ^^

Hoid, possibly. If the Epilogue Taln I'd the real Taln, then Hoid could well have done something with him. However, I don't think that that is the real Taln either. Hoid refers to him as "confused" and "unfortunate", as if he has been placed in a situation that he shouldn't have been.

Brandon has said that the person who arrived at the gates of Kholinar, and the person who was delivered to the warcamps is the same person.

But we should really move this discussion over to the main thread, since that's where a lot of the possibilities and discussions are.

• Chaos locked this topic