Ask Axelius Anything* (AKA Sanderson vs. Tolkien Duel)

Sherlock Holmes

1 minute ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

1. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. 

2. A lot, but only the homemade stuff.

3. Don't know.

Why does that mean you don't like metal?

Ever tried an eggnog milkshake?

Why have you not yet rectified that problem?

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, Ark1002 said:

Why does that mean you don't like metal?

Ever tried an eggnog milkshake?

Why have you not yet rectified that problem?

1. Because this is my AMA, and only my laws apply.

2. Nope.

3. Sounds like a lot of work.

Edited by AxeliustheGreat

On 12/23/2018 at 2:35 AM, AxeliustheGreat said:

Yeah... even discounting pantheons, Tolkien still has Ungoliant, Ancalagon, Smaug, etc. KRs might be fast, but they can be burned to ashes by a dragon's fire.

They then immediately heal from that, or soulcast the fire into water and enjoy a shower, or soulcast the dragon into fire for irony's sake, or stab it with a Shardblade, or dump it into the CR and never have to deal with it, or...

Also, Sanderson has three experienced Windrunners (Kaladin, Jezrien, and that one guy from Dalinar's vision), while Tolkien has, well, at least five enormous dragons.

Also the entire order because we've seen the entire order abandoning their blades.

Also, dragons can curse people. Remember that one guy who got cursed by a dragon he'd slain, then ended up being haunted by that curse for the rest of his miserable life, eventually dying alone after betraying his people? One not-all-that-powerful dragon did that.

Spiritual healing, bye bye curse.

Also, yup, Galadriel. She can read minds. Boom. Just won the war. You can't lose a war if you know what your enemy is going to do.

Shards can also read minds. As for 'You can't lose a war if you know what your enemy is going to do.'  I agree, so we both agree that Sanderson wins. Because, you know, he has an entire army that can know what their enemy is going to do.

This is even assuming he is aware of the threat and has time to react. A silent elf assassin shooting him through the neck with a wooden arrow from behind would probably prove fatal. 

Assuming they somehow didn't get noticed by the tin savant, they would have a split second of celebration before their head explodes when he doesn't care about that arrow in any way because of course he doesn't because he's functionally immortal. Good way for Tolkien to send some elves to their deaths though.

Actually, Voidus, everything you just said is inaccurate. 

I said, explicitly, that named or featured characters only count. Three Windrunners. 

KRs cannot heal from death, sorry. 

Spiritual healing only works with characters that know how to do it.

No pantheons, bro. 

Pokémon-style duel. One at a time. 

2 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

I said, explicitly, that named or featured characters only count. Three Windrunners. 

Unless you want to limit to literally only named characters then the hundreds of on-screen characters still count. And since you've been mentioning plenty of unnamed characters I was assuming that's what you wanted to go with. So no, not inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

KRs cannot heal from death, sorry. 

Did you say the dragon deaths the Knight Radiants? Or did you say it breaths fire on them. Because while fire might cause death, it is not in itself death. And they can definitely heal from burns. So no, not inaccurate.

4 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Spiritual healing only works with characters that know how to do it.

So just all of Sandersons characters since he's the one controlling them? I can live with that. Also this is more of an addendum, not a claim that it was inaccurate.

5 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

No pantheons, bro. 

Shards aren't pantheons, they're three levels down from the actual god of the cosmere. But sure, as mentioned that was only one option. But I should point out that you are just disagreeing that they should be allowed, not stating that my claim that Shards can read minds is inaccurate.

5 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Pokémon-style duel. One at a time. 

When was that ever agreed on? Why would that ever be a thing? But sure, TLR goes first, kills everyone in a 1 vs 1 battle. Cosmere wins.
Again though, this is just an additional rule you want to stipulate, not an inaccuracy.

8 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Actually, Voidus, everything you just said is inaccurate. 

Having summarised, I feel now obligated to point out that this sentence is itself inaccurate. :P

I'm sorry if I was inadvertently mentioning characters that haven't been named or featured, that those are nonetheless the rules I have made.

I'm saying that the dragons breathe fire, which reduces Radiants to ash, whether or not they heal themselves afterward. Dragons' fire is very hot, and if it hits a Radiant, the Radiant will burn. 

The characters are controlling themselves. No divine influence. 

The participants of this duel agreed earlier that Shards and above are not allowed to fight, neither are Valar and above on the Tolkien side. 

When Archer asked me the question, his wording was that it was a 1v1 duel. 

Just now, AxeliustheGreat said:

I'm sorry if I was inadvertently mentioning characters that haven't been named or featured, that those are nonetheless the rules I have made.

Define 'featured'

1 minute ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

I'm saying that the dragons breathe fire, which reduces Radiants to ash, whether or not they heal themselves afterward. Dragons' fire is very hot, and if it hits a Radiant, the Radiant will burn. 

Burning is a process, process means it takes time, which means healing is possible. Only sure fire way to kill a KR is to kill them instantaneously and completely. But again, plenty of options even if they don't heal. Dragons are just not a great match against a full KR. Windrunners are agile enough to avoid fire, can heal from it even if they can't, can negate a dragons advantage of flight and can use a Shardweapon to negate their defenses.

4 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

The characters are controlling themselves. No divine influence. 

Then elven archers can't try to surprise TLR with wooden arrows because they have no idea what he is or can do. Almost inevitably going to end badly for Tolkien.

If a character is featured, they would have their name explicitly mentioned, or speak to the character the story is being narrated by. The Windrunner in Dalinar's vision spoke to him explicitly, and so he counts. That's also why Jezrien counts.

I'll agree with you on that one. Dragons vs KRs isn't exactly a fair match. If you were talking about, maybe, Huan vs KRs, that would be where it gets interesting. 

Again with the mind-reading. Galadriel and the rest of the Tolkien characters would be off to the sidelines, and Galadriel would be able to read TLR's mind to find out his weaknesses.

Again with the mind-reading. Galadriel and the rest of the Tolkien characters would be off to the sidelines, and Galadriel would be able to read TLR's mind to find out his weaknesses.

If all of Tolkiens characters were off to the sidelines and aren't being controlled then they all start murdering each other. Just saying.

30 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

*grumbles* You are a smart one, aren't you? I think that they could conceive of a peace by the leaders telling them that they get to kill the other side.

I mean you could try that, but you're also up against a bunch of people with emotional manipulation capabilities.

Well, there are several Soothers or Rioters among the Sanderson side. However, if Tom Bombadil can stand up against the ring and not be affected at all, which even Gandalf can't do, then a Soother or Rioter couldn't get him. And we all know that Tom Bombadil is the real defining factor of any battle.

2 minutes ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Well, there are several Soothers or Rioters among the Sanderson side. However, if Tom Bombadil can stand up against the ring and not be affected at all, which even Gandalf can't do, then a Soother or Rioter couldn't get him. And we all know that Tom Bombadil is the real defining factor of any battle.

Yeah, but it does mean Ungoliant starts eating everyone. :P

That is also true. 

Rust. 

Well, let's say that I'm completely screwed. 

Ha, just kidding. 

Let's say that each character appears independently after their precedent has been slain. Maybe let's put Ungoliant up against TLR. She would totally slay him. She eats everything.

That is also true. 

Rust. 

Well, let's say that I'm completely screwed. 

Ha, just kidding. 

Let's say that each character appears independently after their precedent has been slain. Maybe let's put Ungoliant up against TLR. She would totally slay him. She eats everything.

I mean she could try, he could explode her from the inside by pushing on trace metals though.
TLR is hard, you really need cosmere knowledge to be able to beat him and even then it's not easy. Vin won solely because he didn't consider her any kind of threat at all and because she had literal divine intervention. Against a giant mountain-sized spider he's not likely to let his guard down.

Which means super speed, super strength, super weight, super allomancy and also probably foresight.

That's going to be another problem on the Tolkien side, for the most part the biggest threats are all pretty obvious. Balrogs, giant spiders and dragons aren't likely to be underestimated.

It's always going to come down to something like that though and honestly it's going to be personal opinion. Personally, I think TLR is nigh impossible to beat without divine assistance. 
But it's going to come down to who has the most powerful character, because if Ungoliant can beat TLR and Nightblood, etc. then Tolkien wins, if TLR and Nightblood beat Ungoliant, Galadriel, etc. then Brandon wins. Because once you beat the OP characters then you can just use your OP character to insta-kill everything else. Ungoliant could eat a million chasmfiends and TLR could decapitate a million random elves.

Personally I think TLR probably wins, super speed and rapid regeneration are hard to beat, barring removing his Investiture entirely (And then we have to deal with all the ways the cosmere has to combat magic). But I can also understand why someone would say Ungoliant would win that fight, because giant, all-devouring spiders are cool and not exactly easy to kill.

Rather than a full universe vs. universe fight (Which would also just take forever) I think specific match ups would be more interesting.