The Visions, Alethkar, and The Way of Kings [minor spoilers]

Senor Feesh

Ok, so this is only half-baked (I'm in work, and very tired, so this will probably come out a bit patchy too as I'll be typing between calls).

As always, please correct me if the following contradicts any of the facts; I don't have copies of the books to hand to reference.

Anyway. Dalinar's visions, sent by the Almighty, actually came from the Stormfather, who is in some way a remnant of Honor.

However, we also know that Gavliar was having the visions too. The only two people to have them, both of the same family, which may prove relevant, but also two men who ultimately went on to attempt to unify Alethkar.

So, why not Elhokar? He is, after all, the King. Is it because he's such a shoddy leader? Was there some quality of leadership the Stormfather could see in Dalinar that Elhokar lacked? Something Dalinar DIDN'T have before Gavilar's assassination (back when he was the Blackthorn)? After all, the Stormfather could as easily have given those visions to Dalinar first.

So, what else do these two men have in common, besides blood. Great warriors, leaders of men... and The Way of Kings.

Dalinar only started reading tWoK after Gavliar's death. Gavilar used to read the same book too. I'm reasonably sure that Gavilar didn't decide to unify Alethkar until he started having the visions ("UNITE THEM").

So, my crackpot theory - either there is something inherent to The Way of Kings which is some way triggers the Stormfather's selection process for who to give the visions to OR - and I think this is more likely, given how the Ideals work - something about internalising the lessons of tWoK, and attempting to live according to those values, gets you the attention of ol' Skyface.

So go on, be brutal - tear this apart as only dedicated Sharder's can ;)

I think its more the ideal of leadership and unification that leads to the Stormfather 'selecting' you. After all, the Stormfather is actually a spren of the type that creates Bondsmiths. So perhaps he was half-way through bonding Gavilar (and Gavilar then revealed the return of spren bonding to the Parshendi, offering them to become Nahel bonded too, which reminded them of their old gods and caused them to assassinate him), and part of the Nahel bond with the Stormfather grants visions, due to his nature as a Splinter of the Almighty (in the same way that as he passes over the land he releases Stormlight, presumably part of the Power of Creation that composes him).

After all the bond must have started with Dalinar for his saying of the Ideals at the end to solidify it.

Odium's_Shard

The Way of Kings chapter 65 epigraph

"That chanting, that singing, those rasping voices."

Kaktach 1173, 16 seconds pre death.  Subject was a middle-aged potter.  Reported seeing strange dreams during high-storms for the last two years. 

This is one of the death rattles from the way of kings.  I read it as a man receiving the dreams from the stormfather.  I don't think reading the Way of Kings effects whether or not you are prime material for being a Bondsmith.  If you have the ability to bring men together and lead people you are a candidate for Bondsmithness.

Yes it is the stormfather who sends the visions but the visions come from Honor.

It all has to do with perception and intent. It is made clear that before Gavilar's assassination, Dalinar was kind of a drunk who pretty much just followed his brother, and wasn't much a of leader. But after his brother's death, he is inspired to be more like his brother. His intent changes and he truly dedicates himself to leading Alethkar, and that is why he starts getting the visions.

You should read what I wrote here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7286-theory-on-forming-the-nahel-bond-intent-and-squires/

Basically, you attract the attention of a spren to bond with (i.e. the stormfather) by believing and demonstrating a certain Ideal, not by just saying some magic words or reading some magic book.

Edited by lichie

Lichie, if you read my post in full then you'll have noticed that I think it far more likely that your actions and intentions attract the Stormfather (and thus the visions). I postulated that perhaps it was tWoK that inspired both Gavilar and Dalinar to try and live by the ideals which then attracted Skyface.

I'll read your thread later, I suspect we're thinking along the same lines and I just hadn't read your post before.

• Chaos locked this topic