Keyhole (spoilers)

Turkatron

They passed into the Circle of Memories, a round room with ten lamps on the walls, one for each of the ancient Epoch Kingdoms. An eleventh lamp represent the Tranquiline Halls, and a large ceremonial keyhole set into the wall represented the need for ardents to ignore borders, and look only at the hearts of men . . . or something like that. He wasn’t sure, honestly.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 893). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.                                                                                                                                                                                            Alright now it's time for my WAG. This is from the Lhan interlude and I think this might be a big clue hidden in plain sight and I haven't seen anyone talking about it so I figured I should. The Circle of Memories as described looks very much like an Oathgate except there is a Keyhole instead of a slot for a Shardblade. And so the theory of this drunken turkey is that this room is a fabrial designed to lock the Oathgates and at some point either Shallan or Kaladin(our only shard bearing raidiants at this point) will have to drop by and turn their shard into a big key in order to unlock the other 9 Oathgates. Thoughts?

Edited by Turkatron

There's almost no other way to interpret this, given that Dalinar recognizes the oathgate dais as being identical to where the palace is built in Kholinar:

Now that he saw those pillars from this perspective, he recognized that there was one of them in Kholinar. It made up the dais upon which the palace and royal temple had been built. Shallan suspected that Jasnah had tried to open the Oathgate there; the woman’s notes said that Oathgates to each of the cities were locked tight. Only the one in the Shattered Plains had been left open.

It's pretty unambiguous.

OMG I dropped a Kingdom Hearts reference on accident. I know you can't see but I am blushing.

I'd like to add, that the  "eleventh lamp represent the Tranquiline Halls" is more likely the lockout triger to keep it from working.    I do not know if it has to be removed or what.    The other 2 locations did not have the  eleventh lamp.

After reading about Shallan operating the Oathgate I immediately thought of that scene - it's totally an Oathgate. I'm not sure if he just thinks the slot is a keyhole or if it actually is, but man you have me excited! Keyblades!

This one thing has made up my mind about the "Which Shardworld would you most like to live on?" thread. (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6143-which-shardworld-would-you-most-like-to-live-on/)

If I was on Roshar and lived by the ideals of one of the orders, I could make myself a Shard Keyblade!

In the actual Oathgate, this 'eleventh lamp' points to Urithiru instead, if that is of any use in interpreting this. But perhaps the Circle of Memories has another function in the same way as the Oathgate is presumably a fabrial that gives limiting parameters to the Surge or Transportation/Edgecall.

On a side note, where is this 'Circle of Memories'? It could potentially just be another Oathgate to one of the major cities.

EDIT: For stupidity only. The Circle of Memories seen by Lahn in Kholinar is almost definitely the Kholinar Oathgate, but the locked placed under might be this keyhole (the keyhole itself being a blocking fabrial to the Shardblade slot just behind it).

Odium's_Shard

Edited by Odium's_Shard

I am wondering if it is really locked, or just WAY overloaded.

The oathgate is located on a very large platform and transports everything. All or nothing. And the more that is transported, the more stormlight is needed. The thing is, stone is much denser then people. Where a person might weigh 250 pounds, a column about as tall and wide would weigh 20 times more. There is a Palace, and a temple, and the surrounding grounds. And all the stuff of everyone who lives in the palace.

There might not be enough infused gems in Urithru to initiate the process. There might not be enough gems there period until more highprinces arrive with their gemheart prizes.

That is assuming when a platform is activated the contents swap. But it makes more sense to me that you move all the stuff from the initiating platform to the other, and there had better be room for it.

When the Natanan Oathgate was used, the platform at Urithiru was empty. And when they went back from there, the Shattered Plains platform was also basically empty because it had moved everyone. There could be a "collision sensor" that locks the oathgate if the other platform is too full, so as to avoid complications.

So the Palace might BE the lock, preventing teleportation being initiated from Urithiru. So you could theoretically use the Oathgate now. If you were in Kolinar, and you had a living shardblade, and the entire palace treasury was fully charged at the same time, and you wanted to relocate the entire palace district to the mountains.

TL,DR Kholinar Oathgate is not locked by any changes to the Oathgate fabrial, but by the amount of stormlight needed to move a manmade mountain. 

My theory about why none of the other gates work is because they have had buildings constructed on top and it would require way too much stormlight to move the buildings.  Jasnah couldn't get the other portals to work because the construction on the dais in Kholinar was blocking the portal.

Edit: Bramblethorn basically had the same idea as me but he/she said it better and beat me by moments

Edited by thejopen27

• Chaos locked this topic