How did Kaladin ...?

Le_Horneater

How did Kaladin survive the fall into the chasm? 
At this point in the story he doesn't have access to stormlight, Syl is gone...

He hears a scream (possibly hers) but can't get stormlight ... so how does he survive unharmed ... 

I read that scene twice and still can't figure out what went down ... 

Current theory is that he forced Stormlight through the barely functional Nahel bond, like trying to use a very frayed wire to power a washing machine. In essence, he short-circuted his bond with Syl, keeping just enough Stormlight to survive the fall.

I'm pretty sure that he did use stormlight, and it was what 'killed' Syl - since he forced their bond even while she had forbidden him access to his power, even if subconsciously. He basically panicked and desperately tried to use some stormlight - and it was the last straw that broke the bond.

My two cents.

Right here:

Like a drowning man struggling toward the surface, Kaladin thrashed for the Stormlight. He would not die this way! The sky was his! The winds were his. The chasms were his.

He would not!
Syl screamed, a terrified, painful sound that vibrated Kaladin’s very bones. In that moment, he got a breath of Stormlight, life itself.
He crashed into the ground at the bottom of the chasm and all went black.

He inhales stormlight right before he hit the bottom of the chasm. Also, Pattern speculated stormlight had helped Shallan survive the fall, so it should have been enough.

I'm pretty sure that he did use stormlight, and it was what 'killed' Syl - since he forced their bond even while she had forbidden him access to his power, even if subconsciously. He basically panicked and desperately tried to use some stormlight - and it was the last straw that broke the bond. My two cents.

I agree with Elena.

I don't think that Syl's scream was of her dying, but rather of her forcing their bond and helping Kal, because she's attached to him and she doesn't want to see him dying.

She mentions in TWoK that she watched Kal long before he even knew of her existence.

Considering various conversations throughout the two books, Syl has a habit of disobeying.

Also, I don't think Syl can forbid Kaladin using anything as long as it's honorable and he doesn't break his Oaths. But since Kal broke his oaths, their bond eventually diminished...

Edited by Ren

He would not die this way! The sky was his! The winds were his. The chasms were his.

These are probably not the ideal final thoughts for a Windrunner with an honorspren, especially when other people were dying and he was thinking about himself. There may have been some oathbreakage there, too.

Then when he lands:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? The distant voice sounded like rumbling thunder.

Suggests that it was his thoughts and actions that gave him access to stormlight and forced the bond, like Elena said:

I'm pretty sure that he did use stormlight, and it was what 'killed' Syl - since he forced their bond even while she had forbidden him access to his power, even if subconsciously. He basically panicked and desperately tried to use some stormlight - and it was the last straw that broke the bond. My two cents.

These are probably not the ideal final thoughts for a Windrunner with an honorspren, especially when other people were dying and he was thinking about himself. There may have been some oathbreakage there, too.

Yeah, but on the other hand it's hardly dishonorable to not want to die by accidentally falling into a chasm, no?

Yeah, but on the other hand it's hardly dishonorable to not want to die by accidentally falling into a chasm, no?

Agreed. I think the big nono was forcing the bond, not defending himself - had kaladin done the same thing *before* agreeing to help Moash, Syl and the Stormfather wouldn't have had problems with it.

I don't know.

Had Kaladin be more like himself, he would have been the kind to think "Oh no, I can't save them, why is everyone dying, how are they going to deal with the Assassin in White." At least that's how he react when he face death threat in tWoK, thinking of his men first.

On the other end, I like the idea that Syl has free will and choose to force the bond in order to save him, even if he doesn't respect his oaths anymore.

I've mentioned it before but I don't think that Syl actually died. I think the Stormfather somehow used the weakening of their bond to reclaim Syl from Kaladin in order to protect her from him.

The way I see it is that the bond was only just strong enough for Kaladin to get some stormlight in a moment of true crisis (he is at least protecting himself from an outside threat, life before death) but it was so difficult for both Kal and Syl that Stormdaddy was able to take advantage at that moment to yank her away from him. The scream was because Windpater pulled her away from Kaladin and the later sobbing is because she cannot get back to him. Only when he reforges the bond with the next ideal can she break away from whatever Windypop held her with.

I assume that Shallan's stormlight healed her from the fall but that Kaladin's stormlight was only just enough to provide him with one of those 'splash' landings he can do, although he did still sustain enough damage to knock him out. If they both healed then they would either both wake at about the same time or Shallan would have seen him glowing faintly when she woke first. Might regrowth work the same as Feruchemical gold where you have to heal more slowly if you have less to work with?

These ...

Then when he lands:

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? The distant voice sounded like rumbling thunder."

Suggests that it was his thoughts and actions that gave him access to stormlight and forced the bond, like Elena said:

Possibly.  But the Stormfather is insane and overprotective of his "daughter".  If Syl had induced her own "death" by forcing Stormlight through a marginal bond, I could easily see the Stormfather wrongly blaming Kaladin. 

Possibly.  But the Stormfather is insane and overprotective of his "daughter".  If Syl had induced her own "death" by forcing Stormlight through a marginal bond, I could easily see the Stormfather wrongly blaming Kaladin.

Stormfather is definitely insane. Best case senario is he took her and lied to Kaladin about her dying and said Kal could not heal her so he would give up.

It Kal actually DID kill her, then swearing the third oath seemed necessary to bring her back to life. And the Stormfather was trying to stop that. So it would have then been less Kaladin killing her, and more the Stormfather trying to kill her to stop what was happening.

• Chaos locked this topic