Swearing in Roshar

ccstat

Bit of a tangent but anyone else notice that Shallan seems to swear a lot more towards the end of the book? I haven't actually counted this though so it may be a false impression. I think it's just a "side effect" of her character development - it's like she spent the last 6 years repressing herself and is now making up for lost time...

Bit of a tangent but anyone else notice that Shallan seems to swear a lot more towards the end of the book? I haven't actually counted this though so it may be a false impression. I think it's just a "side effect" of her character development - it's like she spent the last 6 years repressing herself and is now making up for lost time...

i think a lot of characters swear more towards the end of the book. Something to do with the world as they know it ending... ;)

Good suggestions. I've added the examples and categories mentioned.

@EMTrevor, I couldn't find the tongue reference. Do you know where that was? If I can get a quote I'll add it to the list.

I do think it is interesting that the heralds each have a body part association, but that is not same as the "body focus" found in the essences table.

"Ash's eyes" kind of makes sense since she is called the Herald of Beauty. The others I'm still wondering about.

“Pali’s mind ,” Adrotagia said, watching them rise. “I don’t believe it.”

I'd guess that Talat's hand should actually be Nalan's hand based on the [herald] [essence] pattern.

Edit: Also a really common one, but not mentioned in the list: Damnation!

Edited by Seloun

Ever since I read that chapter, the meaning of "drynets" has been bothering me. From Tyn's reaction, I'd say it's something sexual, and after all it's a sailor curse, so they are supposed to fit a certain stereotype. If the nets are dry, I guess that means they haven't been in sea for some time. So, maybe it means someone who hasn't gotten laid for a while? Cursing their luck or something?

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how Rosharian swearing makes its way into music.  I'd imagine that it's something like this:

I see you riding 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Storm you!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the spheres in my pocket
Weren't enough I'm like,
Storm you!
And storm her too!
Said, if I was richer, I'd still be with ya
Ha, now ain't that some crem? (ain't that some crem?)
And although there's pain in my chest
I still wish you the best with a...
Storm you!
Oo, oo, ooo