The End of the Cosmere

Lightflame

Okay, so the Cosmere will be 36 novels long, right?

- 10 Stormlight [10]

- 9 Mistborn (Not counting The Mistborn Adventures spinoff) [19]

- 3 Elantris [22]

- 2 Warbreaker [24]

- 7 Dragonsteel [31]

- 3 White Sand [34]

- The Silence Divine [35]

So, am I missing a book?

Anyway, I've been wondering how Brandon is going to end the Cosmere. Will it be with Dragonsteel? Space Mistborn? The 36th book that I can't think of?

And how will he do it? Will it be a massive crossover where all the characters come together, even the dead ones like Lightsong and the ones nobody except me cares about, like Crews Geffenry and Lady Patresen (props if you can remember who they are)? Will Hoid die for good?

Regardless, what I really want is for the last book to be called There's Always Another Secret.

Anyway, share your ideas for a suitably epic conclusion, please!

I hope so. And it would have to be epic, so much that you would need bold and italics to describe it. For a title, I think Hoid or Cosmere would work well. Or it depends on which series he's lumping it with.

Also, I sincerely hope the Silence Divine doesn't count with the 36, now that it's been pushed back to only being a novella. I think a two parter final novel would be just enough to do the cosmere justice.

I think you're missing Liar of Partinel. But still, that's only 7 (eight, if Braize counts) Shardworlds. There must be 2-3 more they find in the space Mistborn.

Dragonsteel is a prequel iirc, so it's not going to be the end of the Cosmere. I'm thinking space Mistborn will be that, especially since we know from WoB that Hoid will be a main character in that.

Oh, and you know what would be even better than naming it that? If the entire novel was narrated by Kelsier from the grave.

Edited by PorridgeBrick

Yeah we've tried to count them a couple of times and I've kept coming up with 35 as well.  The only thought I have is maybe that number included Aether of Night, which is no longer canon?

Edit: Actually, I've been told Liar and its sequel are included in the 7 Dragonsteel books.  And I'm pretty sure it is just Liar/its sequel that are the prequels, not the entire Dragonsteel sequence since I think there is a several hundred year time jump in there. (Liar is the only thing confirmed to be pre-Shattering at this point, if I remember correctly)

I asked Brandon something along these lines when he came to Portland in March. I recorded my questions and his answers, hopefully I'll be able to transcribe them sometime soon. To the best of my recollection, I asked him if we would be getting the end of Hoid's story before we got the beginning, and he said that we will get Dragonsteel before we get the final mistborn trilogy.

I believe Brandon has said that the sci-fi Mistborn trilogy will be the big cosmere finale, where all the pieces come together, and that the last two books of it will be Hoid-heavy (paraphrasing, but the impression I got was that Hoid is a major player in the end of that trilogy but not the central character).

He's also mentioned a Young Adult cosmere novel called Skyward, but that is not intended as part of the big cosmere story, its a side thing.

I have no idea how up to date this is, but I recall that forever ago he mentioned a "Conflux" book that would basically the all of the worlds coming together. Considering how he feels about not forcing readers to have already read all of his other books just to access a new one, I'm not sure how applicable this is anymore.

I think he mentioned that he refered to a book that involved the various magic systems coming together as a Conflux book, but I don't think he said he was, definitely, going to write it.

Anyway, I hope 36 doesn't become a hard-rule for Brandon. I'd hate to be denied further Nalthis stories just because he only has, say, three books left and has to get Space Mistborn done.

(Besides, if 16 is such an important number, he should really round on up to 48, right? More books, please Brandon!)

I don't think Dragonsteel is 7 books anymore. From SF signing:

Q: When are we going to get Hoid’s book?

A: Hoid has 6 books, they are the 3 books of Dragonsteel, which are prequels and the last Mistborn trilogy of the nine book arc will have him as a main character

Note he also calls Dragonsteel a prequel. Kind of hard to pin down his specific plans for these books currently. Used to be Liar duology + Dragonsteel five books = 7. No idea what he is considering to be the 3.

Edited by masaru

I heard somewhere that Liar has Rayse, Bavadin, Tanavast and Hoid (known as Midas?) as main characters in it, and it ends with the Shattering...

Anyone have confirmation on that?

I'll send you a PM, but we're not really supposed to conjecture on non-published materials, which LoP counts as. 

Since White Sand is becoming a graphic novel, it will probably be a singular story then. And iirc, if Liar is written, wasn't it going to be a duology? But that still doesn't add or remove any books, really. Well, removes the Taldain trilogy if it becomes singular.

Since White Sand is becoming a graphic novel, it will probably be a singular story then. And iirc, if Liar is written, wasn't it going to be a duology? But that still doesn't add or remove any books, really. Well, removes the Taldain trilogy if it becomes singular.

When did White Sand become a graphic novel? Did I miss something?

Any idea on who is writing the White Sand graphic novel? Will they be adapting the version Brandon's written, working off of a revised outline, or doing their own thing in that world, Dark Tower-style.

Naturally, this is assuming Brandon wouldn't write it himself- but I'm not sure how his style would translate to a comic book. I've thought his magic systems would work better visually than they do in writing- it can be a little difficult to 'track' two aerial objects in prose- but writing for comics is as distinct as writing a play would be. Not saying that he couldn't do it, and it would be an interesting experiment if the cosmere range expanded to original audio dramas for instance... but I'd be remiss if I didn't raise concerns.

Anyway, back to Hoid You Like It, A Midfest Nights Dream, and The Highstorm I think...

When did White Sand become a graphic novel? Did I miss something?

Brandon has mentioned it a couple of times in the last few months, the first mention was during the Waygate Foundation livestream at the end of January.  They are currently looking a artist submissions I believe.

@Quiver, I'm pretty sure Brandon is the person writing it, I don't really see it being otherwise.  Why would he get someone else to write it?  All that has to be done is getting the dialogue up-to-snuff I think.  Anyway there has been absolutely no mention of someone else doing it.

Well that's pretty cool actually! Not to be morbid, but I have on occasion wondered how Brandon will be able to write all these books before he has to stop. If all he has to do is write a script for a few graphic novels, it should take him significantly less time than writing yet another set of 200-300k word novels. There is the art component, but I have no problem with him handing that over to other people so he can focus on other things. May I assume that it will likely be graphic novels instead of regular ones?

Well that's pretty cool actually! Not to be morbid, but I have on occasion wondered how Brandon will be able to write all these books before he has to stop. If all he has to do is write a script for a few graphic novels, it should take him significantly less time than writing yet another set of 200-300k word novels. There is the art component, but I have no problem with him handing that over to other people so he can focus on other things. May I assume that it will likely be graphic novels instead of regular ones?

As far as we know it will be graphic novels instead of prose novels.  And the first book is already written, and he has said the story is good but the quality of the writing isn't up to his standards.  In trying to make it a graphic novel, he just has to worry about improving the dialogue.

• Chaos locked this topic