Realmatic Aspects of Magic on Sel

First topic of my own! Reading this post today gave me a thought about marrying the regional magic systems of Sel with some Realmatic Theory. After a quick search, I didn't see anything posted that covered all of my thoughts, but apologies if this has been said before.

Anyways, here goes:

Spiritual - A Selian's innate ability to invest in the powers of Devotion and/or Dominion; their particular heritage has an impact on their sDNA and so impacts which system someone can use.

Cognitive - As described here, the cognitive aspect of a nation determines the base shape, but I think this must also be in harmony with the physical world. I imagine that the fall of Elantris happened when the chasm appeared, not when the country as a whole learned about it. I also think that an individual's cognitive understanding of their heritage, like their sDNA, has an impact on the system they use.

Physical: The base shape must physically match that of the nation you are currently in.

The key point: Spiritual and Cognitive impact your ability and method to access investiture. Cognitive and Physical impact the base form. This would mean that someone from Mai Pon could use Forging in Arelon if they used Aon Aon as their base.

Let the debate begin!

How does the physical aspect relate to Jindonese being able to access Chayshan in Elantris? Or the Dahkor accessing their powers in Elantris and Toed still? 

Just curious and got me thinking about the regional aspects of the magics on Sel. 

Great, great question. I had forgotten about that.

There's also the bloodline issue - it isn't enough to just BE in Arelon to become an Elantrian, you have to have some Arelon ancestry. It's probable that the ability to access a nation's investiture is embedded into the sDNA of a group living there over extensive time and is inherited.  In other words, a Forger from MaiPon may not be able to change their locational glyph to an Aon unless they have some Arelon ancestry.

There's also the bloodline issue - it isn't enough to just BE in Arelon to become an Elantrian, you have to have some Arelon ancestry. It's probable that the ability to access a nation's investiture is embedded into the sDNA of a group living there over extensive time and is inherited. In other words, a Forger from MaiPon may not be able to change their locational glyph to an Aon unless they have some Arelon ancestry.

What if they FORGED Arelish ancestry? :D

You don't have to know the nature of a thing, you need to know the history of a thing. And the history of a thing in this case is about parentage. Could you change your own history by writing a love story for your mom to marry an Arelon instead? You probably could. It's likely you wouldn't be quite the same person, though.

You don't have to know the nature of a thing, you need to know the history of a thing. And the history of a thing in this case is about parentage. Could you change your own history by writing a love story for your mom to marry an Arelon instead? You probably could. It's likely you wouldn't be quite the same person, though.

This question has come up before.  Without WoB, I'd assume that it's a change that's theoretically possible, but astronomical amounts of work and Investiture would have to be used.  Well beyond what any mortal can do.  After all, Shai's soulstamps took years of her life, and they only recreate her well after she is born.

• Chaos locked this topic