Is Kaladin actually ~27 years old

Charper

Kaladin Celebrates his 20th year in this book. According to WoR the storms go through a 2 year cycle of 1000 days. That would make on year in Roshar 500 days, which would make Kaladin ~27 years old ( by our notion of time). Are the days/nights there shorter, or do they just mature and develop slightly slower than a regular human?  

Edited by Charper

I believe the days are slightly shorter. I can't remember exactly how much shorter, and I don't really feel like calculating it, but we know one Rosharan year is equal to about 1.1 Earth years. So Kaladin is around 22.

There's a comprehensive list of Stormlight Archive character ages from Aether over here.

Edited by AonarFaileas

Oh wow, that is really interesting and surprisingly in depth- thanks!

Edit: According to it being 1.1 earth years then  each day is only 19.272 hours... huh. I suppose that's sort of reasonable. 

Edited by Charper

But it's 50 Rosharan minutes. :)

I was just thinking about this... Does this mean that a Rosharan second is .02 Rosharan minutes, or about 1.4 Earth seconds?

Also, why use "minutes" and "seconds" in that case? Seems needlessly confusing.

I was just thinking about this... Does this mean that a Rosharan second is .02 Rosharan minutes, or about 1.4 Earth seconds?

Also, why use "minutes" and "seconds" in that case? Seems needlessly confusing.

It's only terribly confusing to people who want to do high-precision mathematics. Generally it's good enough to just know the rough lengths and relative values of the units of time.

Well, it's still slightly weird to realize that any time the word "second" was used it must have actually meant 1.4 seconds. But I recall now that units have not always had their current standard definitions, so there's real-world precedent. For instance, the length of an hour used to vary with the length of the day. It does seem that "seconds" have always been essentially the same length (although they're now defined based on radiation of cesium-133, since days are slowly lengthening so "1/86400 of a day" isn't precise enough.)

• Chaos locked this topic