[Theory]Iyatil, Mraize and the 2nd Shardpool

shinintendo

I believe Mraize is the only world hopper in the Ghostbloods, and that lyatil is his Roshar guide(he's her student in this world).

He met and recruited her some time after getting out of the Shardpool. (she implied that she knew his secret)

All the other members present in the meeting were local alethi, a distinction from her attire, lack of safehand glove and tanned skin.

I think she came from a backwater country like Reshi and her country will be most likely near the location of the 2nd Shardpool.

“You are willing to ponder,” Iyatil said. “Rather than asking question after question. This is good. Your instincts, however, must be judged. Are you the hunter, or are you the quarry?”

“Neither,” Shallan said immediately.

“All are one or the other.”

Shallan moved to pull back, but Iyatil held on. “Who are you really, Veil?” the woman asked. “You caught me in stealth spying upon you, and you can lose me in the streets. This is not easily accomplished. Your clever drawings fascinate Mraize, another near-impossible task, considering all that he has seen. Now what you have done today.”

Both passages mark her as a stealthy hunter and in the second passage imply he's seen a lot since he's a world hopper. so at the least he's a world hopper.

Edited by shinintendo

Mraize is definitely hinted at being a worldhopper with the collection of odd artifacts and his fascination with "local" weapons. I don't see how him being a world hopper excludes Iyatil though. She definitely seem like more of the mentor/leader than Mraize and I don't see how she would think of him as a student if he "hired" her as a guide. 

But Mraize does call her "babsk" which is a Thaylen word. Why would they use that particular word if they are both worldhoppers? I agree with the idea that Mraize is the WH and Iyatil is the local teacher.

Are Thaylens Vorin? I had not noticed that she didn't cover her safehand. So if Thaylenians are Vorin, then she'd have it covered.

The short, tan-skinned person had some kind of carapace mask tied to his face, pulled tight. In fact, it looked like . . . like the skin had started to grow around the edges of the mask somehow.

The arrangement of red-orange carapace pieces was like a mosaic, giving a hint of eyebrows, of anger and rage. Behind that mask, a pair of dark eyes regarded her, unblinking, and an impassive mouth and chin were also left exposed. The man . . . no, the womanShallan noticed the hint of breasts and shape of the torso. The exposed safehand had thrown her.

Shallan stifled a blush. The woman wore dark brown clothing, simple, tied at the waist with an intricate belt, studded with more carapace. Four other people wearing more traditional Alethi clothing chatted softly beside the fire. 

Not only the the safehand was exposed but her clothes were semi revealing too, she didn't care about exposure at the least. just like the Reshi folks with their nakedness.

Say for a second she's one of the Reshi and Shardpool is the one Rysn fell into. it does make for an interesting idea, a connection between some characters a larkin and god's eye(is it santhid? like the illustration of Shallan of it)

but that's purely speculation.

Edited by shinintendo

I assumed that that part was mainly talking about her being small chested rather an revealing cloths. Shallan's main dress hugs the body pretty well too. She first thought that Iyatil was a man because of the safe and and being rather masculine(Or just not curvy)

Not only the the safehand was exposed but her clothes were semi revealing too, she didn't care about exposure at the least. just like the Reshi folks with their nakedness.

Say for a second she's one of the Reshi and Shardpool is the one Rysn fell into. it does make for an interesting idea, a connection between some characters a larkin and god's eye(is it santhid? like the illustration of Shallan of it)

but that's purely speculation.

But Rysn fell into the Reshi sea, not a pool.

Could it be so simple as to try and confuse misdirected Veil (Shallon) when Mraize refers to I as his babsk. He seems in charge, she is the one tailing Shallon which seems like the underlings job. Then when she says that Veil has managed to impress Mraize which is impossible to do it just comes off like she's giving Shallon kudos for impressing the boss. He is behind the bosses desk so to speak during the meeting. As far as the shardpool, I'm not sure. The way he talks to Shallon in urithru seems like he was the boss.

Wasn't sure where to put this exactly, but I think the biggest hint that Iyatil's origins or identity is her statement to Shallan:

"I have many times asked myself," Iyatil said, "why those you here go about so brazenly with features exposed to all who would see them. My mask reserves myself. Besides, it gives me the ability to adapt."

Clearly she is from somewhere where people obscure their features. Nothing rings a bell, but I think focusing on this statement will lead us to some hints. It could be Roshar or another world. She doesn't strike me as similar to Khriss. The Vin theory seems to match the best... but for some reason, I don't think Brandon would bring Vin back.

• Chaos locked this topic