WoR Favorite Character (Spoilers)

nightwatcher

This thread is just an opportunity to talk about our favorite characters from Words of Radiance.

I'm not alone in saying the character development in Sanderson's latest was somewhat sub-par. Kaladin was almost entirely static (not to mention whiny), Shallan's backstory was almost identical to what was expected (with the exception that she didn't kill anyone to get the shardblade, which actually made it less awesome), and Szeth, who was so interesting in the first book, was... disappointing, to say the least.

There were a few interesting ones though.

Eshonai comes too mind immediately; cool to see things from the Parshendi's point of view. I also fell in love with Pai, even though she was just around for one interlude. 

Others?

I found a liking to Adolin. He's different and he showed why he wasn't like the other light eyes. He stayed in prison with Kaladin, he would help people and he was honest. I think he a pretty opposite contrast with Kaladin, so it was a joy to read his POV. He also an amazing sword fighter. I think there's a lot that is going to happen to him in the future. 

I also enjoyed Patterns character. He was curious about his surrounding and it was interesting to see how he viewed different things. He also gave a lot of information that helped the story.

I didn't really like Lift, but maybe that will change. 

Just a side note, I've noticed people getting a little down-vote happy lately and would like to comment that, as I understand it, down-votes are usually reserved for offensive or belligerent posts. I bring this up because I notice that the OP has couple of down-votes, likely just because it states a less-stellar review of WoR. I don't personally think expressing an unpopular opinion warrants the equivalent of an offensive post. I'm not a moderator or anything, but let's try and keep it positive, k guys?  :)

I also was a tad disappointed with the character growth in WoR, though the book itself was so amazing its barely a valid criticism. I actually liked Shallan's story a lot, even if the flashbacks were a little predictable. Her back-story wasn't as epicly tragic as Kaladin's, but I thought it was a lot more relate-able, and it definitely helped define her character. Lift was awesome. I liked Renarin's development, but he could certainly use more. Similarly, what little we saw of Jasnah was cool, but we obviously need more.

Downvotes are up to individual users to decide what to do, but I reserve mine for offensive or detracting comments. I try to balance out rep when I see downvotes given for unnecessary reasons. That's my view on them, take it as you will.

I did begin to appreciate Adolin more in this book. I didn't particularly like him in WoK, but I grew to quite enjoy his character. Until the end. Sadeas is a jerk and deserves it, but I don't think Adolin should've strangled him in the hall. I do appreciate Adolin a lot more though.

Sebastian is also one I came to like. He has a lot more depth and intelligence than is noticeable usually and is relaxed, even to the point of drinking wine while a Highstorm and the Everstorm are coming to meet right in the middle of a battle against the Voidbringers, while Seb is in a pavilion off to the side, casually sipping wine.

I agree with serendipity; the book was fantastic, especially the last third or so. It was merely the character development that was disappointing, not the book itself.

I completely forgot about Adolin. You're completely right, he develops in leaps and bounds over the course of the book, in terms of moral and personal depth. I don't really think his talent with a sword contributes much, though; if all an author needed to make a great character was incredible fighting skills, some of the worst, most ridiculous characters I've ever seen would suddenly be considered amazing. I guess it doesn't hurt, though.

Oh, and I forgot to add Rlaith. I feel like there's some cool potential there.

I already mentioned Pai. I loved her because she had a relatively minor part in the book, only around for a few pages, but still managed to change the coarse of history. That kind of dedication is the most admirable trait a person can posses- if everyone in Roshar was a Pai, Odium would be crying and running for mama. Pai = respect (insert bridge four honorary salute here)

Probably the breakout character for me was Lift. Sure, she seems pretty archetypical, but I found her interlude to be a lot of fun and self-contained, with a good deal of relevant action and excellently done mood whiplash. Sort of an encapsulation of what I like best about Sanderson (ultimately uplifting tragicomedy with good action scenes).

Ym was my favorite new character. I was sad to see him go. Kaladin and Dalinar remain my favorite, I felt Kaladin's arc was a very realistic portrayal of someone coming to terms with a significant life change, and an eventual acceptance that his worldview was perhaps skewed. It was kind of like growing up, and I appreciated that he was able to accept not only who he is, but that light eyes aren't all bad. It's the person, not the eye color that matters.

Dalinar's arc was similar in some ways, an acceptance that he is no longer the Fighting brute, but rather a thoughtful and caring leader who makes the hard choices a leader has to make. Both their stories were in many ways about self acceptance, and I thought both rang very strong and true.

Shallan is not my favorite, and I was less interested in her story. I wanted to like her more than I did. I was frustrated particularly with her scenes with Kaladin. I felt like he should have "won" more against her. I also felt like I was more curious about the people that Shallan interacted with vs Shallan herself.

Eshonai's story was ok for me. I saw where it was going early on, so it wasn't surprising , but I greatly appreciated the insight into the listeners and their world . I look forward to more of that.

Elkohar interests me greatly - he was surprising to me. His self awareness towards the end was both brave and horribly depressing at the same time.

Kaladin and Dalinar remain the backbone of the series for me. Their characters seem to be the most fully realized and I root for them even when they make choices or decisions I disagree with.

Excuse me? Kaladin isn't very intelligent? The man whose surgeon father couldn't believe how quickly Kaladin absorbed medical information? Who Shallan thought was brilliant? Who Dalinar repeatedly praised for his insight, intuition and judgment? You might want to rethink your comment, FlatLine.

And in keeping with this topic, I think Rysn is tres cool. (Lift too, but no one else has mentioned Rysn.) She is probably the only person on Roshar who is attended by a healthy Larkin - a reward for her (questionable) courage. That will be huge in the coming books (probably in the second five). She is so earnest and direct, with no quit in her. I think she will be of the order of Chach, "brave/obedient." I look forward to seeing how her story develops, particularly in concert with others.

I don't at all understand people saying Kaladin and Shallan are flat in Words of Radiance. Shallan had phenomenal character growth that was unexpected and wonderful, and her flashbacks were far tenser and more interesting to read than Kaladin's. That one where she kills her dad? Powerful.

Additionally, I felt that Kaladin's arc was exactly where he needed to go. His struggles were a natural extension of what had come before. I couldn't see his arc being anything different than what it was. It was wonderful. Maybe someone can explain why they didn't like Kaladin's arc, because I genuinely do not understand it. '

Pattern was wonderful. Adolin was wonderful. Shallan is totally amazing, as always. But you know what I felt was great? That though we had almost no Szeth viewpoints, we know his character so much better than in Book One. I was really impressed with that character development.

Excuse me? Kaladin isn't very intelligent? The man whose surgeon father couldn't believe how quickly Kaladin absorbed medical information? Who Shallan thought was brilliant? Who Dalinar repeatedly praised for his insight, intuition and judgment? You might want to rethink your comment, FlatLine.

I will admit that I haven't read the first book in a while, so I couldn't remember much of his past. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't view Kaladin to be smarter than Adolin. 

I liked Kaladin finally getting over his issues.

Shallan flashed out and witty behavior.

Lift Awesomeness.

Mr.T schemes and Diagram.

Adolin coolness.

Pershandi culture.

Ghostbloods and SoH sides were moving along nicely.

What's need more development next-

Jasnah advantures.

Dalinar side.

Renarin POV please.

I will admit that I haven't read the first book in a while, so I couldn't remember much of his past. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't view Kaladin to be smarter than Adolin. 

Adolin probably has a greater understanding of combat tactics and Alethi society, but that's about it.

Kaladin is both brilliant and intuitive. He's not a bookworm by any means, but that doesn't change the fact that he has the ability to retain massive amounts of information, and to correctly identify and creatively solve problems.

I felt that Kaladin's arc was exactly where he needed to go. His struggles were a natural extension of what had come before. I couldn't see his arc being anything different than what it was. It was wonderful. Maybe someone can explain why they didn't like Kaladin's arc, because I genuinely do not understand it. 

I love Kaladin as a character; in the first book, he's one of very few that have ever been written that are deep and layered enough to actually be real people, instead of just words on a page. I didn't get that feeling from WoR.

I felt like Brandon almost hit the reset button on his development, pulling him back to square one. His revelation of the oaths at the end was basically just a more specific rephrasing of his previous oaths, the circumstances for obtaining them extraordinarily similar. He whined some in the first book, but i felt like it added to his character rather than detracted then- It made him seem more real. When real people are in what is essentially hell, they whine.

In the second, it was just irritating. In the end of the first, a lighteyes saved him. He, being brilliant, should take this as a sign that they're not all bad; instead, he just whines and complains about how the lighteyes took everything from him.

Then, he goes and decides to kill the king, based on a petty, thoughtless slight. That doesn't seem like Kaladin to me- this is the same man who charged a shardbearer to protect the man who'd gotten his brother killed. If he was going to kill the king, he'd do it honestly, at the very least.

In summary, he did a lot of acting out of character, and "grew" into the same person he was at the end of the last book. 

Favorite character... alright, here we go.

First place is got to be Kaladin. He's whiny and angsty and annoying pretty much all the time, and his arc is so well written and believable I'm awed. Also, he's pretty awesome whenever he forgets to be depressed, and now I can't wait for his arc in SU.

Second his Shallan, and second only because no one can top Kal. I adored everything about her, her flashbacks, character development and adventures in espionage; her laugh-not-to-cry attitude and interaction with both her potential love interest. It was great.

third place is shared by both Adolin and Elhokar - the first one because, as entertaining as his POVs were, he pretty much remains static if not for that last chapter; and Elhokar for the potential, since I loved that dialogue with Kaladin, the incredible depth it shows and all that might entail for future books.

• Chaos locked this topic