Shalladin (Spoilers)

AyeJay

We need our own thread so we can squee without needing to worry about defending our ship. I figure I might as well kick things off since I'm checking the other thread obsessively.

To celebrate us having our own thread, I present this.

So what got you all hooked on Shalladin.

Me, it was when she smiled at him. That was amazing.

Edit: the art is not mine, just something I tripped over on tumblr.

Edited by AyeJay

I really want this ship to happen, but at the same time, I'm very sad for Adolin. The poor guy has mentioned several times (to Kaladin, no less!) that he really wants to keep Shallan and get into a serious relationship. I just don't see it happening, though...

EDIT: The time where I really got hooked was the entire scene in the chasms. All of it. And then, during the Weeping, when Kaladin is walking around and smiles because he's wearing the boots that Shallan stole from him. D'awww...

Edited by Chrono

Personally what made it clear to me was the little insult-fest when Kaladin blocks Shallan's entry during the council meeting. It was so tsundere that I could not imagine that going any other way. It was also so out of character for both of them that it was a giant red flag. They make such a scene that everyone is silent and staring at them by the end of the exchange. And during the exchange, Kaladin's own friends are snickering at what Shallan says; I'm pretty sure they would -not- have had that reaction if they didn't see it this way too (if it was random lighteyes insulting Kaladin, I don't think laughter is what you'd get out of them).

I loved all of the scenes between them, but I have to say that this was the line:

Then she smiled. Oh, storms. She smiled anyway.

I mean, of course it's the turning point when Kaladin finally starts to see something beautiful in Shallan. But this was just so beautifully written. I actually wrote down that quote and pinned it to my wall at work today because it's just that awesome.

<3

I loved all of the scenes between them, but I have to say that this was the line:

I mean, of course it's the turning point when Kaladin finally starts to see something beautiful in Shallan. But this was just so beautifully written. I actually wrote down that quote and pinned it to my wall at work today because it's just that awesome.

<3

This was my actual turning point, for the record...

Brandon did such an amazing job showing a real transformation of their relationship.

And hell, anyone who can make DarthRandModeKaladin smile is worth shipping!

I also really liked the the argument outside of the Highprince's meeting. So fun to read.

My favourite moments were when they both admitted to themselves that they at least felt something for the other, especially when Shallan fazed out thinking about Kal whilst talking to Adolin.

With Kal gone to rescue Hearthstone I have a feeling Laral (is that her name?) may start something with Kal (or at least) as he would never try something with Shallan as long as she is with someone, least of all Adolin, keep the budding bromance alive please. 

The Chasm did if for me too. they are both broken but Kalladin learned that there is more than just bitterness and pain and he can get passed it, He's not alone who's suffering, whether it's dark or light eyes, male or female. one look from Shallan is all he needed.

Shallan learned that she needs to lift the witty mask off and share the pain, there's no avoiding it. and she learned to trust again in someone who's suffered as much as her.

Laral is engaged, possibly married to Roshone (she courted his son I think, but he died so she got hitched to the dad)

Tarah is the woman that Kal keeps remembering. Something about failing her (we don't know how yet). I just checked the wiki and it sounds like they met/became involved after Tien died.

Her significance is gonna be apparent in the next book but 'tis just another hurdle for our ship to smash through :P

This was my actual turning point, for the record...

Ditto, actually!

Also, I feel the need to freak out over the amount of detail and just pure artistic genius that Sanderson used to craft their relationship. Literally every time I got back to read over a little bit of it, I'm just blown away by how complex and genuine their relationship is. Everything happens so naturally, which is another reason why I'm totally on board. At first I was really worried it would feel forced, but I should have known better--it's Sanderson.

Also (speaking of freaking out), I keep hearing this song on the radio. And every time I just keep thinking "this sounds remarkably like Shalladin..." The song is "All of Me" by John Legend (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518WB1IcjPI)

Of course, if you live in the US, you've probably been hit over the head with this song already (the radio stations have a tend to play songs to death). Even so, I thought it was interesting. And, since this is the Shalladin page, I'm not going to feel bad for sharing it ;)

"What would I do without your smart mouth?

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out
You've got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down
What's going on in that beautiful mind?"

This has to do with Shallan's quips and their (wonderful) arguments. (Plus the fact that Shallan is always bringing Kaladin down to size.)

"You're crazy and I'm out of my mind"

Uh, Shallan anyone?: "It helps if you're crazy."

"'Cause all of me
Loves all of you
Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections"

The fact that Kaladin loves Shallan because she's broken but able to smile anyways (<3)--he's the only person in the world who knows her entire story (because at the point of the chasm scene, Shallan wouldn't even admit to herself the truth of her mother's death). Plus the fact that Kaladin is draw to both the good and the bad of Shallan, including her smile (curves--ha ha), her jibes (edges), and her past and how she dealt with it (perfect imperfections).

"Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you"

The fact that they swapped their (almost full) stories with each other, which they'd never told anyone else before.

"How many times do I have to tell you
Even when you're crying you're beautiful too
The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood"

Again, the fact that Kaladin finds beauty in Shallan when she's revealing (what she feels is) the worst part of herself: her past. 

"You're my downfall, you're my muse
My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues
I can't stop singing, it's ringing, in my head for you"

By the end, I'd say this were the case.

Anyway, I know this is a tangent and the two (the book and song) are not in any way actually related to one another. I just think it's interesting how closely the two fit together <3

Love what Sanderson did with this pair! Sort of saw it coming in WoK when Kal kept referring to his Mom's sharp wit. The off hand comments started me comparing her to Shallan and wondering...

I think Adolin is due for character building (or breaking). I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn to the dark side. Now a murderer, not a radiant (on the outside looking in on Shallan, Kal, his Father and brother!), and he seems to have a unique relationship with his Tainted shard blade...

It was the yelling match outside the King's chamber that did it for me.  That's when I started shipping it at least.  A first meeting (not counting the boots incident as Shallan was pretending to be someone else) that spectacularly bad couldn't possibly be anything but the start of a romantic subplot.  

You had me at 'boots'

;)

When she yelled at him and he went all sputtering in indignation (something that Kal has never done to any other characters before), Brandon had me in his potential love match clutch, heehee... There's something about characters bickering like old married couple after they've just met!

I became a Shaladin-er when Kaladin (he's my boy) was in the chasm with Shallan and she is telling him about all the crap in her life and she smiles. It blows him away and it blew me away. I got so excited at that point. I think many pairs could work, there is no "the one" in anyone's life, however, I do think there are people that you fit better with than others and for Kaladin she is the best for him so far in his life.

I hope it is a many book thing though. I hope it takes along time and tons of heartbreak as they find out about each-others past and Shallan finds out about Kaladin killing her brother. I love that kind of stuff. Haha....

• Chaos locked this topic