Spren Parents?(Spoilers)

Tarontos

So in the WoR Syl refers to the mega-spren,stormfather(the one Dalinar bonds to) as father, and the Spren that Lift is bonded to refers to Night Watcher as his mother. I am rather confused by these associations. Does any body know exactly what they mean when a spren refers to a Spren as a parent. 

Edited by Tarontos

I had thought about the possibility of "mega-spren" being the bondspren's parents even before WoR came out. I think, since the spren are Splinters of the Shards, it's possible for them to voluntarily Splinter themselves as well. It would be like how some fungi reproduce asexually via spores. In that sense, the Stormfather, the Nightwatcher, etc. would be considered parents.

Now, I'm wondering if this means there are eight other "mega-spren" that we've yet to see. Is Cusicesh one of them? How about the Purelake's god Nu Ralik?

Edited by skaa

I had thought about the possibility of mega-spren being the bondspren's parents even before WoR came out. I think, since the spren are Splinters of the Shards, it's possible for them to voluntarily Splinter themselves as well. It would be like how some fungi reproduce asexually via spores.

Which makes me think that the end of the series will have all the Spern become one, reforming Honor to fight off Odium.

I hope not... I don't want Syl lost to some ginormous "Childhood's End" Shenanigans. That and Spren existed before Honor was shattered... We know this because Honor was shattered after The in world Way of Kings was written and Nohadon mentions Honorspren being discerning in one of Dalinar's visions... So I don't think the Spren could form Honor.

I agree no Giant spren mass fusion to shard, please the spren are just too fun.

I had thought about the possibility of "mega-spren" being the bondspren's parents even before WoR came out. I think, since the spren are Splinters of the Shards, it's possible for them to voluntarily Splinter themselves as well. It would be like how some fungi reproduce asexually via spores. In that sense, the Stormfather, the Nightwatcher, etc. would be considered parents.

Now, I'm wondering if this means there are eight other "mega-spren" that we've yet to see. Is Cusicesh one of them? How about the Purelake's god Nu Ralik?

i am going to doubt eight mostly due to the storm father seeming to not exactly be honorspren- by evedince of dalinar's bond. and that could be the requirement for the bod smiths i think, so there could only be seven mega spren left if there were originaly 10 . do to th recreance.

seven because of thre bond smiths

Edited by Tarontos

th impression i got was that when a bonded person betrays what oaths they made they kll their spen, aspects of the cognitive realm, with the contradiction.

also a little nit pick but spren doesn't change between singular and plural.

Here's a piece from the second Chicago Steelheart signing:

Q: Ashe says to Sarene "your god" (emphasis added). Do Seons (and Skaze) have a religion/god?
A: They have an inkling of the nature of their original Shards, which they would consider their gods. 
Q: Kind of like a first, a prime, a parent?
A: Yes. They kind of know what happened that created them, and they also know this is not the god being worshipped (by Sarene), so...

If something similar is going on, if those... godspren or megaspren hold large chunks of Honor's (and Cultivation's?) power, then it kind of makes sense for the smaller spren to think of, or at least refer to, them as parents. Especially if the godspren take care of them - the Stormfather, for example, looked like he was trying to keep the honorspren from bonding with humans so he can keep them safe and alive.

Syl refers to the Stormfather as father because he is the spren version of Honour. Spren are ideas come to life. Stormfather is the idea that people have of Honour. And the mother wyndle refers to is almost certainly Cultivation.

On my cellphone so can't give sources but here's a paraphrase. Hopefully someone can fill it in for me.

Stormfather is the concept of Honour: see the conversations Dalinar has with him.

Mother = Cultivation: Wyndle mentions that mother has given up on humans. She has stopped fighting ever since he [almost certainly refers to Honour] died.

Spren refer to Stormfather/Cultivation as father/mother because they are splinters of them. Stormfather is a replacement/placeholder for Honour.

Edited by xbauks

• Chaos locked this topic