Is Iyatil (Mraize's teacher) actually Inadara in disguise?

FrogKnight

Is Iyatil (Mraize's teacher) actually Inadara in disguise?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. As the title states: Is Iyatil (Mraize's teacher) actually Inadara in disguise?

Unless Iyatil has some illusory abilities we don't know about, I don't think she's posing as anyone. Her mask is literally grown into her skin. 

I Nadar a was the wife of one of Dalinar's officers, right? That implies an ongoing ruse that would be difficult to sustain. 

Furthermore, if Iyatil had illusory experience of her own, I don't think she'd have fallen for Shallan's so easily. 

So I voted against. 

Just now, If.you.die.I.go.stupid said:

I don't see the connection, but either she is a recluse or she must have some way to disguise herself when she goes out. That mask would make her stand out. I tend to think she keeps a low profile on Roshar. I assume she is from Scadrial, but haven't put a lot of thought into her place in things.  

She is and she isn't. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1151#12

QUESTION

In Words of Radiance, there is a character named Iyatil... Is she a member of the race that we see in Bands of Mourning in the--

BRANDON SANDERSON

She is related to them in the same way that I am Danish.

QUESTION

Okay, so not.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, I am, my heritage is Danish.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1120#60

QUESTION

Obviously the world covers different planets, but most people on individual planets don’t know about the other planets. Is there a planet within the Cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Is there a planet in the Cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge. Um… it’s not a planet. Someone: It’s a space station? [Audience laughs] That’s no moon!

BRANDON SANDERSON

That’s… not as far off as people laughing think that it is. [More laughter] It’s not a space station, it’s not that futuristic, but there is a place in the Cosmere where a lot of worldhoppers have settled, is where Iyatil is from, even though her ethnicity is not from there.

QUESTION

Clarifying question. Is that place in the Physical Realm?

BRANDON SANDERSON

[laughs] RAFO!

QUESTION

It’s the Cognitive Restaurant At The End Of The Universe? [many references to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy follow]

FOOTNOTE

This is presumably referring to Silverlight which was officially mentioned first in Arcanum Unbounded.

So she's of southern Scadrian descent, but was born and raised in Silverlight. 

Just because Iyatil isn't from Roshar doesn't mean she cant be Inadara. don't forget, there are other world hoppers who have an identity as someone from Roshar.

But even if Iyatil isnt Inadara, I still feel there's a connection. If Inadara isn't Iyatil, she may still be a ghostblood.

Edited by FrogKnight

8 minutes ago, FrogKnight said:

Just because Iyatil isn't from Roshar doesn't mean she cant be Inadara. don't forget, there are other world hoppers who have an identity as someone from Roshar.

It isn't about her being foreign. It's that culturally she will not remove her mask. So to masquerade as anyone she has to have some form of Lightweaving. 

She's shown no evidence of this yet. 

On 8/5/2017 at 0:00 AM, CJ Feboris said:

Inadara was on the Shattered Pains with Shallan looking for the Oathgate and Iyatil  was in the war camps trying to kill Amaram. Unless she can transport herself she is not the same person.

There is not enough detail to determine if it was indeed Iyatil. All the description stated was that the assassin was wearing a "half mask".

“Know you nothing of Patterns, old human?” Pattern said, huffing. When had he picked up how to huff? “Voidbringers have no pattern. Besides, I have read of them in your lore. They speak of spindly arms like bone, and horrific faces. I should think, if you wish to find one, the mirror might be a location where you can begin your search.”

One of my favorite quotes from the book. I cannot picture Iyatil having spindly arms, I I think she is tough.

• Chaos locked this topic