We're working on a new WoB Archive

Chaos

32 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We intend to import all Brandon-related interviews from Theoryland to this new system. We're hoping we don't need to manually input things and we can do a software-based conversion of the data, but we are committed to a system that is complete and will be up-to-date.

This is actually a good opportunity to take a look at old sources and links (at least) and make sure they still work. I wouldn't mind if an effort was organized to (slowly) go over this old content and make sure nothing is missing from things like interview transcripts  and Reddit threads.

Just now, Argent said:

This is actually a good opportunity to take a look at old sources and links (at least) and make sure they still work. I wouldn't mind if an effort was organized to (slowly) go over this old content and make sure nothing is missing from things like interview transcripts  and Reddit threads.

Considering the quality of some old Theoryland stuff, I don't disagree, but we will definitely need a lot of help to comb through it :) 

As you'll see, we do things slightly differently than Theoryland in how we label certain events and stuff, so it's possible an automated thing is just impossible. 

1 minute ago, Manukos said:

HYPE HYPE HYPE! 
i will be looking forward to it . i never liked theoryland , too...muddled, so the palaneum , (and it is an awesome name no need to change it)

Unfortunately, Palanaeum doesn't work for a few reasons, though it is cool. Honestly a big reason is that I think no one will be able to spell it properly, so that kind of kills it. So we decided Palanaeum is the software name, and our implementation of the software will be different.

We're finalizing our branding of it, so worry not, and it is also cool. But this module will not be called Palanaeum.

It's about time!

Palanaeum is a great name, though. Whatever name you'll actually use had better be even cooler.

As far as openness, is it as public as the Coppermind? Where anyone who signs up for an account can add something? Or will it there be more of a 'submission queue'? I guess this is the sort of thing that will be clarifies during the beta testing phase, but the fundamental problem with crowdsourced information is avoiding the wrong stuff. (Someone transcribes a word wrong, or maybe someone references a forum post where someone else is "absolutely confident" we have a WoB.)

1 minute ago, Pagerunner said:

It's about time!

Palanaeum is a great name, though. Whatever name you'll actually use had better be even cooler.

As far as openness, is it as public as the Coppermind? Where anyone who signs up for an account can add something? Or will it there be more of a 'submission queue'? I guess this is the sort of thing that will be clarifies during the beta testing phase, but the fundamental problem with crowdsourced information is avoiding the wrong stuff. (Someone transcribes a word wrong, or maybe someone references a forum post where someone else is "absolutely confident" we have a WoB.)

For a general user, they can submit things and suggest edits, but they won't go live until their stuff is approved. Anyone could do that, though. 

We expect there will be a core group of pro community members who contribute a lot and they will get a special rank, and be able to avoid the approval queue because they know the conventions and stuff. These to start out with will likely be our beta users. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

For a general user, they can submit things and suggest edits, but they won't go live until their stuff is approved. Anyone could do that, though. 

We expect there will be a core group of pro community members who contribute a lot and they will get a special rank, and be able to avoid the approval queue because they know the conventions and stuff. These to start out with will likely be our beta users. 

This is fantastic. I'm sure you already have plans to link the Storm Cellar into this, but once it's up and running I'd like to announce it over to the JordanCon group as well. Brandon is definitely going to be in attendance next year, so I've no doubt that we'll have a ton of stuff to upload at the end of April 2018.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

The software is codenamed Palanaeum (though that won't be the name of this database; it's the software's name)

The obvious choice for the database is: "the Book of Endless Pages" :) 

Also, this sounds absolutely fantastic! I am excited to see the code when it goes open source in... github I assume? Congratulations to everyone who made this possible! What a wonderful achievement!

22 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

The obvious choice for the database is: "the Book of Endless Pages" :) 

Also, this sounds absolutely fantastic! I am excited to see the code when it goes open source in... github I assume? Congratulations to everyone who made this possible! What a wonderful achievement!

Yes, we will go public on github some time after launch :)

6 minutes ago, The Flash said:

Will the WoB from Reddit also be added? Now that they are so helpfully avaliable

Yes, we want to include every WoB we can find. Reddit, Twitter, anything that is confirmed to come from Brandon. 

5 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Yes, we want to include every WoB we can find. Reddit, Twitter, anything that is confirmed to come from Brandon. 

Blog posts, signed books, notes written on napkins, murmurings in his sleep captured with a parabolic microphone... the whole nine yards.

Now I can publically hype about this - I hope it will render my WoB Stack Exchange obsolete :D

As for the name... it has to be something fandom related. It has to be simple, so that we avoid misspellings. It shouldn't be too long or too many words. It should reference gathering of knowledge or libraries or archives...

Unfortunately Coppermind is taken. If we want to keep in the theme, we could name it Tinmind (as it has to do with transcribing, so hearing -> sight).

There are groups dedicated to gathering knowledge: Worldbringers from Scadrial and Worldsingers from Roshar. There are also Veristitalians but as I had to look up the spellings it's immediately out.

There were also Keepers, but they used copperminds, so it would have to be Keeper's metalmind or Keepermind. These are not really good names.

Stormwardens are better, since they reference Stormlight Archive with the "storm" in their name... however, all these groups are hard to convert into suitable name for database, as it would be awkward to use: "I can't find that WoB on stormwardens." "Did you check worldbringers?" etc. The name has to be a thing, not a person.

Ars Arcanum is a bad choice due to the confusion of the in-world Ars Arcanum and trying to play on the name will probably create confusions with Arcanum Unbounded...

The nobles had their Keeps... like Keep Venture or Keep Hasting... we could play on that like 'Keep Ardent' or something.

Or we could keep the reference to theoryland and name it ardentland. But this name is clunky. Well, I'll keep thinking on this.

9 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Now I can publically hype about this - I hope it will render my WoB Stack Exchange obsolete :D

As for the name... it has to be something fandom related. It has to be simple, so that we avoid misspellings. It shouldn't be too long or too many words. It should reference gathering of knowledge or libraries or archives...

Unfortunately Coppermind is taken. If we want to keep in the theme, we could name it Tinmind (as it has to do with transcribing, so hearing -> sight).

There are groups dedicated to gathering knowledge: Worldbringers from Scadrial and Worldsingers from Roshar. There are also Veristitalians but as I had to look up the spellings it's immediately out.

There were also Keepers, but they used copperminds, so it would have to be Keeper's metalmind or Keepermind. These are not really good names.

Stormwardens are better, since they reference Stormlight Archive with the "storm" in their name... however, all these groups are hard to convert into suitable name for database, as it would be awkward to use: "I can't find that WoB on stormwardens." "Did you check worldbringers?" etc. The name has to be a thing, not a person.

Ars Arcanum is a bad choice due to the confusion of the in-world Ars Arcanum and trying to play on the name will probably create confusions with Arcanum Unbounded...

The nobles had their Keeps... like Keep Venture or Keep Hasting... we could play on that like 'Keep Ardent' or something.

Or we could keep the reference to theoryland and name it ardentland. But this name is clunky. Well, I'll keep thinking on this.

Such a shame another fansite already took the name Hoid's Compendium...

But...how will I earn my internet points by quickly finding obscure WoBs for other people's posts?

No, this is, sadly, one of the happiest pieces of news I've heard in a very long time! I love you guys!!! And I can't wait until contributions are opened up, make use of my love of researching WoBs.

In terms of name - how about The Words of Founding? You know, coz that was a collection of statements with implications for the Cosmere and Realmatics, handed down by a god to his faithful subjects to make the world a better place, and that people spend hours deciphering to determine their true meaning :)